VOGONS

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hopefully, this will let me get to 40MHz FSB on my 5x86 ADZ. It's a Swiftech Northbridge heatsink w/ 40x25 fan and a 40x40 peltier in between. The fan sounds like a mini jet @ 12v, though.

dcp01522.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UPDATE: This works like a champ. Keeps the actual CPU lukewarm at worst, however, the peltier is like a little heater inside the case. Added a slot exhaust fan, probably need to modify my spare front 3.5 bay to some sort of intake vent arrangement. Didn't need to put the fan back to 12v yet and my ears are thankful. Jumpered to 40MHz and working well, I didn't like how hot the little 80188 chip on the BT-445s was getting so added a small 23mm heatsink to it, too.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those fans will actually run OK at 6-12 V if you want it quietier. You can source some appripriately sized resistors to drop the voltage at the desired fan current.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or you can use these little guys: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZALMAN-FAN-MATE-2-VAR … =item3a6b37d3ff

just search for zalman fanmate. I have like 3-4 of them around teh house because I use their heatsinks often. But they make perfect little speed controllers.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 4, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still just running it off the 5V rail of the PS and it's doing OK. I did add an intake fan, though, since to make things a little better. Might further add a duct from the intake fan to the CPU heatsink just for a little extra cooling.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 4 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice little gadget luckybob! It sure makes things convenient, but at ~$9/ea w/shipping to Canada, its too expensive for me. A resistor and some solder would be about $0.15 to slow down the fan.

If I bought one of those, I'd want to buy one for every computer I have running. I'd be looking at $100! I hate noisy computers.

If your computer fan is getting old, or loud, you'd probably need to replace the fan anyway. New fans can be noisy as well, but most manufacturers have different ranges of RPMs for the same fan series at, say, 12 V. Sunon is a good example of a company with several RPM speeds per single volt fan series.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.