VOGONS

Socket 423 Build

Topic actions

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are my first posts for the socket 423 build. Some know, my 370 system died last week. Instead of fighting with that, decided to go a little different and build a socket 423 that would be typical for about 2002-3.

Collected so far:
Intel D850GB MoBo
Pentium 4 1.8GHz CPU
Yamaha WaveForce 192XG
Cisco Aironet Wifi

dcp01532.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the sound card. Have yet to use one of these.

dcp01528.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More to follow as I work on it every evening.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 25, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That looks like a nice build. I've only used a few yamaha XG cards and they worked great for me, so I think that you will be satisfied overall (i only had some trouble finding drivers for OSs older than XP).

Reply 3 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More parts gotten today:

Dell 512MB PC1066 RDRAM (256x2)
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
Generic CPU cooler mod'ed w/ 60x38mm Intel fan

I'll be running a Fujitsu 9.1GB U160 as a boot volume and 18.2GB U160 data volume. Both are SCA drives but I've got the 68p-SCA adapters for them. My CD-ROM is a Plextor 12/20Plex SCSI-2. The 2940UW has separate Fast-Wide and Ultra160 channels. 😁

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 4 of 25, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7cjbill2 wrote:
More parts gotten today: […]
Show full quote

More parts gotten today:

Dell 512MB PC1066 RDRAM (256x2)
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
Generic CPU cooler mod'ed w/ 60x38mm Intel fan

I'll be running a Fujitsu 9.1GB U160 as a boot volume and 18.2GB U160 data volume. Both are SCA drives but I've got the 68p-SCA adapters for them. My CD-ROM is a Plextor 12/20Plex SCSI-2. The 2940UW has separate Fast-Wide and Ultra160 channels. 😁

Won't the SCSI-2 drive on the chain slow down the whole chain to SCSI-2 speeds?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's the beauty of the Adaptec 7892 based chip....the channels are exclusive.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 6 of 25, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7cjbill2 wrote:
Here are my first posts for the socket 423 build. Some know, my 370 system died last week. Instead of fighting with that, deci […]
Show full quote

Here are my first posts for the socket 423 build. Some know, my 370 system died last week. Instead of fighting with that, decided to go a little different and build a socket 423 that would be typical for about 2002-3.

Collected so far:
Intel D850GB MoBo
Pentium 4 1.8GHz CPU
Yamaha WaveForce 192XG
Cisco Aironet Wifi

More to follow as I work on it every evening.

Nice build! It's a 2001 build rather than 2002-03. s478 debuted in Aug'01 and the first DDR based chipsets, like the SiS645 and Intel D845 came out in early 2002. Apr'02 I think marked the launch of Northwood, and in late '02- early'03 the HT Northwoods were out.

I have 2 s478 P4 systems, a 3.6ghz Prescott and a 2.8Ghz Northwood. Despite much hate in the last few years from "retro" enthusiasts, who have always preferred P3 builds, I think there's growing appreciation from the retro enthusiasts community for P4s now.

Reply 7 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, you're right but I believe I have a couple pieces from the 2002 era so I adjusted. 😀 The Yamaha card and the soon-to-be-received ATI 9700 pro throws it all off. 😀

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 8 of 25, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to post some benchies of that thing once it's completed, for comparison with Tualatins/ Athlon 1400s.

With the dwindling supply of good s370 boards, I have a feeling more and more retro platforms are gonna be s478 based.

Reply 9 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will do...got my C-RIMMs today, and waiting on the retention pieces for the CPU heatsink. After that, ready to throw the power to it. With this build, I'm growing less and less interested in re-building my socket 370 system. The parts will probably get relegated to the P2/P3 parts box.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 10 of 25, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7cjbill2 wrote:

Will do...got my C-RIMMs today, and waiting on the retention pieces for the CPU heatsink. After that, ready to throw the power to it. With this build, I'm growing less and less interested in re-building my socket 370 system. The parts will probably get relegated to the P2/P3 parts box.

Hmm, deja vu.

I had a fantastic s370 build some time back consisting of an Aopen AX33 board, 1ghz Coppermine @ 1.13Ghz (150mhz fsb), 756mb Kingston ram @ 2-2-2-5 150mhz, ATA 100 drive, Geforce 4600Ti, SB Live, etc. Damn thing played Max Payne 2 with mostly max settings @ 1024x768.

It died some time back unfortunately, and I spent a long time trying to get a board just as good, but after repeated attempts, all the s370 boards I got were broken some way or another.

In the end, I gave up and built a couple s478 systems to sate my appetite for ol' junky hardware.

Reply 11 of 25, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an Athlon XP box in early 2003 that I enjoyed using. With a Radeon 9000 and 256mb PC133 and a 40gb hard drive, it wasn't high end but it ran pretty nice and I enjoyed use of it for a little while. Unfortunately, with a dated Via chipset that had been around since the Thunderbird days, PC133 and a video card that was dated when I got it, by 2005 the computer was pretty washed up. I would have kept using it a while longer but, unfortunately, the CPU burnt out when the fan quit working and when I replaced it, the motherboard was acting funny; computer was just never the same. It's interrim replacement was a 500mhz Coppermine box (actually a 667mhz chip underclocked) mated to a motherboard with 440bx. At the time, I never noticed a substantial performance decrease in actual use though there was a significant difference in benchmarks. I'm sure today, the Athlon would feel a lot faster but with software back then, that wasn't so.

I want to build a socket 478 box for myself; I have an empty ATX case and plenty of old chips (a few Athlon XPs, a Duron) but every motherboard I've come across this year turned out to be rubbish. Of the sseveral socket A boards I've encountered in the past two years, the only really decent ones were the DFI nForce 2 mobo I used to upgrade my mom's computer and an MSI board with a SIS chipset I wound up giving to a friend.

Reply 12 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Build nearly finished, had to make some changes because of problems with old hardware. The 20Plex went away because it was unreliable which meant no need to have the 2940UW controller. So, went with 2100S w/ 128MB cache controller and Kenwood TrueX 42x CD-ROM. Just waiting on a couple cables. Dual-boot WinMe/XP; XP is installed and working well, but Me is unhappy with the SCSI controller and I haven't sorted it yet.

Anybody can recommend a suite of proper benchmarking utilities so I can post results?

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 13 of 25, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a relative performance comparison between builds, I typically use HDBench, 3dmark01 SE and the various CPU, FPU and RAM benchmarks built into Everest.

On systems that run it, sometimes I'll use a DOS boot floppy with Speedsys.

Reply 14 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*Bump*
Interested in knowing if this build has been completed yet? 😉
I noticed I hadn't noticed this thread before 😜

7cjbill2 wrote:

Anybody can recommend a suite of proper benchmarking utilities so I can post results?

Some benchmark programs have already been mentioned, but how about adding SuperPi to that list? It only takes like 2 minutes to run the 1m benchmark on a P4 1.8Ghz I reckon

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's nearly complete. As is usual with I'm sure everyone, my systems go through configuration changes depending on parts/results. I picked up a set of Revelator glasses/ELSA Erazor III that I swapped in, which I think will work really good with my Gateway Destination 36 monitor/TV. The 2100s controller wasn't behaving during boot or in Windows ME, so a 29160 will be installed in its place as soon as it arrives from e-Bay.

The 9700 pro card is going into my other socket 423 machine, I had some parts but for the life of me can't remember why I wanted to build another 423 but I know there's some reason. I think it started as an HTPC/video processor project but has morphed into a couple other things since that time.

While it's been sidetracked, I've been building a Pentium Pro machine to run OS/2 ver. 4 so I can play GalCiv GOLD! 😀

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 16 of 25, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a nice build. Have you powered it up yet to see if the Board/CPU/RAM works? I noticed you had 2 PC1066 sticks, not sure about the Genuine Intel boards but the Asus P4T I had in my old S423 system needed Terminator DIMMs for the extra RAM slots. I imagine that's not an issue since you have multiple 423 systems.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 17 of 25, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got 2 C-RIMMs in it now, with the 2 RDRAM modules, so it all works pretty good. I think 512MB is enough for it, however, I've got another 512MB just in case. I really like the Intel boards. I've got a VC820 S370 board and the thing is d*mn near bulletproof. It's been a hardware testing platform for quite a while and I've never had one iota of trouble out of it.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 18 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
7cjbill2 wrote:

I've got 2 C-RIMMs in it now, with the 2 RDRAM modules, so it all works pretty good. I think 512MB is enough for it, however, I've got another 512MB just in case. I really like the Intel boards. I've got a VC820 S370 board and the thing is d*mn near bulletproof. It's been a hardware testing platform for quite a while and I've never had one iota of trouble out of it.

Is your VC820 the one with 2 RIMM or 3 RIMM sockets?
Cause I have one with 3 sockets and finished an install but it's inherently unstable. I think the one with 3 sockets got recalled?
I also have another VC820 laying around with 2 sockets, it's gonna replace the older 3-socketed motherboard to see if it improves stability.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 25, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the 820 wasn't able to handle a third slot very well hence the vast majority of motherboards with that chipset having two lots. Is that board any more stable if you only use a continuity RIMM in the third slot vs. a memory module?