Topic actions

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what I brought few weeks ago

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/compussus-c … screen/91751623

The creative CD drive caught my eye as it suggested it was older then the "14-16 months old" statement I was just hoping it had some ISA slots.
I wasn't after anything special just something to mess around with while in the UK and sell/give it away when I leave

The 1st thing I noticed when I went to pick it up was no audio ports, serial mouse & DIN keyboard connector, was this older then I was really after?

Got it home first thing I did was give it a vacuum (sorry hovered it) it's not spotless but most of the dust is gone & I wanted to get on & see what I got
What I got was a surprise!

abp4b.jpg

Socket 3, ZIF with VL-Bus, ISA AND PCI Slots? So it's above a 386 at least! Finished cleaning the parts and this is what I got

M/B: Abit AB-PB4 Rev 1.3
RAM: 1x 8MB, 1x 16MB 72 Pin EDO
HDD: Quantum Trailblazer 800 MB
Video: PCI Trident T9440 Bios Ver. 5.4
CPU: Cirix 486 DX2-S 66

Everything works fine it has Win98 (non SE) Office 97 and a few other bits of software but nothing interesting, poking around looks like its was built in 2000 or at least that's when windows was installed but for the OS, HDD size I'd say it was a very budget PC from about that time. I can't see any trace of it being connected to the internet which explains why Windows is in such good shape.

However being such a late 486 means the motherboard is quite nice, & I want to keep it. I've already ordered a cheap DX4 120, 64MB Ram, Labway LWHA151A00 (more for the Midi port) & a NIC then It'll be a happy little dos games rig

(edited 2016 as punctuation was all messed up)

Last edited by chinny22 on 2016-10-12, 14:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 37, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That brown slot between ISA and PCI is definitely not VESA. It looks to be an EISA slot but what would that be doing on a cost cutting budget board?

Also, that board was probably manufactured sometime in 1995 or 1996. While, with my rather prudish preferences, would use an Intel DX4 with the board, you might be able to have quite a bit of fun with an Am5x86 or a Cyrix/IBM 5x86.

Reply 2 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why wouldn't it be an EISA slot? It's certainly not an opti local bus slot. Boards in that time period were still getting EISA slots, though typically they were Pentium boards. My feeling is that ALi probably just had some chips that needed to be used up.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 37, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only metioned it bing odd because typically, EISA slots were reserved for bank draining high end systems in the early 90s and I thought they went mostly extinct after PCI caught on.

Whatever the case, that adds more options for cards you can put into the system and thus, raises the bar even higher for potential fun with that board.

Reply 4 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Must admit didn't look that closely, just saw brown and thought VL-BUS but it is actually just an ISA
Looking at the manual I found on the net it says it has 3 PCI and 4 ISA slots no reason why it's a different colour?
Indeed ISA is a lot more use to me then any other type in a 486.

Was thinking about a 5x86 of some sort but couldn't find any, well for a decent price anyway. The Dx4 120 only cost me £2.50 plus shipping so quite liked the idea of running the final fastest true 4x86 cpu, for now, I can always upgrade later!

Last edited by chinny22 on 2016-10-12, 15:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe that ISA slot is different because it is shared with the PCI one? It could be just stock being used and used the sharing as an excuse for the strange slot...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sent you a PM Dirkerk with the BIOS. Havent really had a good look at it yet but seems ok. Not a fan of the lack of PS2 ports, guess I was spoilt back in the day my DX2 66 came with PS2 keyboard/mouse & 16550 UART Com ports.
My 2 mates had a DX4 100 & an early Pentium but serial mice so I had to host the 3 played serial cable Diablo game, it was P-L-A-Y-A-B-L-E but not enjoyable!

Hopefully I'm pulling it apart next week upgrading the RAM/CPU I'll check the underside & let you know

Reply 10 of 37, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Sent you a PM Dirkerk with the BIOS. Havent really had a good look at it yet but seems ok. Not a fan of the lack of PS2 ports, guess I was spoilt back in the day my DX2 66 came with PS2 keyboard/mouse & 16550 UART Com ports.
My 2 mates had a DX4 100 & an early Pentium but serial mice so I had to host the 3 played serial cable Diablo game, it was P-L-A-Y-A-B-L-E but not enjoyable!

Hopefully I'm pulling it apart next week upgrading the RAM/CPU I'll check the underside & let you know

You should've asked your friend with the DX4 if you could temporarily swap CPUs with him. 😁

Reply 11 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even if the EISA slot is actually hooked up, without the config file it would be useless.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well thats definitely the same board, so I'll go with PISA. History really repeats hey!?

Seems like a strange thing to have on a consumer board though?

Reply 15 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even though ratfink solved worked out what the brown slot is I took a pc of the other side the PISA slot is in line with the sticker the 3 ISA slots above, the 3 PCI below.

pb4back.jpg

Funny how the manual just calls it a ISA not that I can see much need or interest for a PISA slot in a consumer board.

Reply 18 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I finally had a week spare to try and get this thing going again. (and also catch up on whats happing here)

I've upgraded a few things and now It got
CPU: 486 Dx4 120
RAM: x2 32MB 60NS EDO
NIC: Eagle Ne2000
Audio1: Awe32 CT3910
Audio2: Labway Yamaha YMF719E-S
Which plugs into either a
Yamaha MU10 or Roland SC55

Running Dos 6.22/WFW

Some of the fun I've had
The CPU came with no heatsink but the same guy was selling a 486/66 With a heat sync for around £2 so was going to use that, however what I got was a 486/33 with a smaller heatsink then I felt comfortable using, I had a AMD Socket A heatsink lying around so using that, it may be overkill but hey my 486 is still am AMD.

The network card was hell to get working until I manually modified the cfg file to the correct resources.

I FINALLY got midi to work. In the end I replaced the Midi cable and slightly changed resources The AWE32 is used for everything accept Midi.

The strange/annoying thing is if I only use the Labway games work fine without using any drivers, however If using the AWE32 for sound I also have to load setupsa/s to get the midi port working in the Labway?

All the hardware is now setup right and no conflicts but I've got so many drivers, bits of software, etc loaded I'm going to wipe it and start again. That said I know I'm not going to have a chance probably till next month so just playing with it as is for now.

Also I finally got to listen to my SC55 and MU10. Raptor sounds a bit funny with the Roland, and the MU10 sounds are a bit distorted. I'm only using batteries as I don't have a power supply for it yet so hoping it's just due to that. The Piano sounded quite nice behind the distortion though!

Last edited by chinny22 on 2016-10-12, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it's taken over a year, partly due to real life distractions, partly due to my P3 project taking preference but the 486 is near enough to being complete!

I don't really see the point of using Dos 6.22 where Dos7 is just as good if not better. However The P3 boots into that so left 6.22 on just to be different, but am using the newer emm368. Hymem.sys and edit.com (So I can have more than 1 file open)

I was going to setup DOS networking but changed my mind. Now I have a reason to use WFW which is behaving very well on my Win2k TCP domain. Also installed is MS Office 4.3 which I found the original floppies for in a customer's server room, Sadly a disk was dead so had to download an entire copy from the net simply to replace that 1 disk.

Annoyingly I don't really need this PC long term, we still have the family's 1st ever PC an Osborne 486 DX2 66 in the garage back home. Apart from no PCI that's a much nicer machine. Even then the dos games I like don't suffer from speed issues so the P3 is more than up to the job. But I just don't think I can part with this one either, not even the desktop case. Nice heavy thing to ship home, bugger

Anyway here are its vital signs
System setup
CPU: 486 Dx4 120 (A80486DX4-120SV8B, C9539CPH)
M/B: Abit AB-PB4 Rev 1.3
RAM: x2 32MB 60NS EDO (LG GMM7328110CS6 32MB EDO 60nS 72-PIN SIMM TIN)
Video: Trident TGUI9440-1
NIC: PCI 3Comm 3C905C-TXM (The ISA NIC was being a pain)
Audio1: Awe32 Value CT3910
Audio2: Labway Yamaha YMF719E-S (Only used for the Midi port)
Midi: Roland SC55
HDD: Quantum Trailblazer 850MB (TR85A351/850AT)
CD-Rom: Creative 4x (CRE-BTB)

ss486.jpg

Issues
Sometimes the mouse stops working in windows. Opening a command prompt and running ctmouse gets it going again.
Line in on the Awe32 doesn't work so the Roland gets its own set of speakers. On the plus side I no longer have to load setupsa/s to get the midi port working. Long term I'll get a mixer anway

Future upgrades
Diamond Stealth 3d: Bit overkill in this machine and the 1MB Trident card isn't causing an issue accept low res in Windows, But it would be nice to mess round with the Virge enhanced games.
PCI card with PS2 Port: Serial mouse are a pain! I’d prefer an adaptor but this is cheaper
8GB HDD: Why not?

Last edited by chinny22 on 2016-10-12, 15:49. Edited 1 time in total.