VOGONS

First post, by zeus3dfx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but have been visiting and reading (and learning!) for months now. I decided a while back to go ahead with building a tribute system for 3dfx, as I spent most of my childhood wanting to have a system with a Voodoo card but never actually accomplished it.

This machine has a dual purpose: I wanted to make something fast enough to act as a secondary storage machine or small server as well as something that could play all GLIDE games that I have in my collection.

A couple years ago I came across a Voodoo3 2000 which I held on to and is now the basis of my new build. It also keeps my system very quiet - I was pondering on using a Voodoo5 for the ultimate cool factor but decided against it when I read online that it can be quite noisy when in operation.

Enough with the story then, this is my system as it stands now. It is pretty much complete, all I am missing are small wheels for my tower case and maybe a few decals or stickers. The theme is completely retro - so no flashiness or lights - just pure machinery. I decided to go for quality parts that were not necessarily time-specific but that could accomplish the two goals I set up above.

These are my systems specs:

Mainboard: Tyan Tiger 230T - VIA Apollo Pro 133T
Processor: Dual Intel Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz
Processor HSF: Dual Nexus AXP-3200
Memory: Crucial PC-133 SDRAM 1GB (2x512MB)
Video: 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 AGP 16MB
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Storage: Dual Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB ATA-100
Optical: LG CD-ROM 52x ATA-100, LG DVD-RW 52x/20x/20x ATA-100
Power Supply: Turbolink L430W Switching Power Supply
Monitor: Sony Multiscan 200sx Trinitron 17"CRT (1024x768)
Speakers: Harman Kardon 2-way Stereo Speaker Set
Keyboard: IBM Model-M Blue Label 1994 PS/2
Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse PS/2
Case: Generic Beige Full Tower ATX

The case on the outside

img2011121500020.jpg

Interior view

img2011121500019.jpg

Dual tualatins 😉
img2011121500011.jpg

My system on the floor until I make office space for it
img2011121500017.jpg

IBM Model M and Windows 2000!!!
img2011121500018.jpg

Tyan's BIOS screen
img2011121500022.jpg

My desktop as it stands
img2011121500026.jpg

Cpu-z
img2011121500043.jpg

Browsing the internet 😎
img2011121500035.jpg

Youtube is possible, but only in SD
img2011121500034.jpg

Some of my games
img2011121500028.jpg

The holy grail of retro gaming? Lights turned off and UT99 in Glide
img2011121500033.jpg

Well this is my retro system, please feel to offer comments and suggestions for improvement. I certainly hope that I can be a more active part of the community from now on. Cheers.[/img]

Reply 1 of 13, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is an awesome build. 😁 I have a dual P3 box somewhere myself, though I remember it ran a lot of games like crap (probably has something to do with the VIA chipset. 🤣)

Reply 3 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

That's pretty sweet. You could perhaps swap the Voodoo 3 for a Voodoo 5, that should give a good speed boost!

^^^ THIS ^^^

That or a Geforce 3 TI-500.

But as a "server" you got it made.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For maximum compatibility, you should go with a V3 3000 or 3500 in the AGP slot and for everything else a GeForce4MX in a PCI slot should work. I've seen various reports about V5 having issues with some motherboards and with some Glide games, so a V3 3000 or 3500 would probably be the most compatible from both a hardware and a software perspective though it will be slower and you'll be limited to 16 bit color. If your motherboard and the Glide games you intend to play can handle a V5 then go for it, but research first because V5's are expensive now and you don't want to buy one and have it not work in your dream Glide machine.

Reply 6 of 13, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm impressed with that build. The few Intel chips that I truly love from that era were mostly Tualatin chips, and I have a Dualatin system myself.

I agree with sliderider on the V5 issues, though those are amazing cards. I've had worse luck with 3dfx than I've had with even ATi so I'm probably a little biased from that.

Have you tried any overclocking? and how does that Tyan motherboard stack up against similar dual tually boards that you have used (if any others)?

Reply 7 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nemesis wrote:

I'm impressed with that build. The few Intel chips that I truly love from that era were mostly Tualatin chips, and I have a Dualatin system myself.

I agree with sliderider on the V5 issues, though those are amazing cards. I've had worse luck with 3dfx than I've had with even ATi so I'm probably a little biased from that.

Have you tried any overclocking? and how does that Tyan motherboard stack up against similar dual tually boards that you have used (if any others)?

Tyan and Supermicro are TRUE BLUE server/workstation motherboard manufacturers. They are always going to be made as close to perfect as possible. Their clients are big business so sadly, overclocking is something they will not do. HOWEVER, these boards are usually the fastest performing and most reliable boards you can buy.

That being said, these boards have the lowest chance of something being incompatible. If there is a bug, its most likely beyond their control. for example. Via chipsets in the late P3 era had SHITTY agp performance and compatibility errors.

It is my opinion that if you are building a gaming machine, you will want a 440 chipset for anything below 1ghz. and if you are going to tualatins, get a "proper" server chipset. Look for the serverworks HE series. The HE-SL has dual channel pc-133 and dual tualatin support as well as some boards accepting TWO GB dimms. It also sports a TRIPLE pci bus.

I had one of these boards, and I wanted to put three mac pci voodoo 5's in it but the sheer cost deterred me. Its still a dream I have.

Reply 8 of 13, by zeus3dfx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tyan and Supermicro are TRUE BLUE server/workstation motherboard manufacturers. They are always going to be made as close to pe […]
Show full quote

Tyan and Supermicro are TRUE BLUE server/workstation motherboard manufacturers. They are always going to be made as close to perfect as possible. Their clients are big business so sadly, overclocking is something they will not do. HOWEVER, these boards are usually the fastest performing and most reliable boards you can buy.

That being said, these boards have the lowest chance of something being incompatible. If there is a bug, its most likely beyond their control. for example. Via chipsets in the late P3 era had SHITTY agp performance and compatibility errors.

It is my opinion that if you are building a gaming machine, you will want a 440 chipset for anything below 1ghz. and if you are going to tualatins, get a "proper" server chipset. Look for the serverworks HE series. The HE-SL has dual channel pc-133 and dual tualatin support as well as some boards accepting TWO GB dimms. It also sports a TRIPLE pci bus.

I had one of these boards, and I wanted to put three mac pci voodoo 5's in it but the sheer cost deterred me. Its still a dream I have.

I mostly agree with your statements. This Tyan board might just as well be the most solid and reliable mainboard I have ever worked with. It can even put newer ones to shame - its ROCK solid. The downside, just as you said, is the absence of any overclocking whatsoever.

I knew this beforehand, and it was a conscious decision on my part. I have a Gigabyte GA-6VTXD also on hand, and it has overclocking features, but I just didn't like my system as much when running this board. It felt a little sluggish - and the BIOS, POST and beeps where not to my liking 😵 And I usually like Gigabyte products. So in the end I stuck with the Tiger 230T.

Sliderider mentioned using a voodoo3 3000 - and ideally I would. I just have to find one for dirt cheap, considering I have the 2000 version. Paying a lot extra just doesn't make sense.

Reply 9 of 13, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What you both said about the Tyan motherboards makes sense. I've always heard good about them but never had the chance to set up a real server with one.
The overclocking question was out of curiousity, and I don't necessarily consider that to be a negative. I myself like to overclock and thus I stuck with boards like the DX 34RU from Aopen (my dual CPU build) and a Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C (single CPU build) for ultimate overclocking, when it comes to Socket 370.

Myabe someday I'll be lucky enough to get a board like that to add to the collection and test my last Tualatin 1.4-S CPUs in it.

Reply 10 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hell, i've overclocked EVERY system I've owned until my most recent one.

My first computer I built was a pentium 75. I ran it at 133. 2nd was a 450mhz p2. I ran that at 600mhz. 3rd was a 1800+ (1.5ghz) I had it at ~2ghz. 4th was a 2.8 p4, and that ran at 3.5 (holy hell that thing was HOT) 4&1/2th was a 3.2 p4 and I hit that thing at 4ghz. but usually 3.8. 5th was a pair of 3.8ghz p4 xeons. these were magical in an asus NCT-D board. they posted at 5.7ghz. but were only stable at 5.1 (270x19) I miss this system.

After that I went socket F and the overclocking options disappeared. And I don't miss it. I run dual quads, I have SO much cpu horse power, I don't need to do it. I do however run my 667 ram at 800mhz. and I would select 1033 if It would work.

In my opinion, its not worth the effort to overclock. ITS FUN AS HELL. but on new systems or the "legacy" equipment we run with. There is no real benefits. Sure I can make a period specific pentium 233 and overclock it like I would if it was 1995. But you would be better off if you got the next generation cpu and pretended it was 1995. Take a 333 P2 and play games designed for a 233 on it. thats what My voodoo 1 system is based on. My voodoo 2's are on a slot A @ 1ghz. "period specific" would be a super & board or a late P2. I have a V3, but I don't use it for games. My voodoo 5 rests in a dual 2800+ athlon setup.

you get the idea. Rather than overclock things, I just use next gen processors.

Tualatin chipsets ALL SUCK. Even the boards made by INTEL did not use their own chipsets in servers! If you want the cream of the crop for tualatins, look for one of these boards:

no agp, but 6 dimms:

Intel SDS2
Tyan S2688

with agp:
Supermicro P3TDE6-G

Holy grail, if you dont mind tualatins in slot adapters:
Tyan S1867DLUAN http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/thunder2500.html

Reply 11 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zeus3dfx wrote:
I mostly agree with your statements. This Tyan board might just as well be the most solid and reliable mainboard I have ever wor […]
Show full quote
Tyan and Supermicro are TRUE BLUE server/workstation motherboard manufacturers. They are always going to be made as close to pe […]
Show full quote

I mostly agree with your statements. This Tyan board might just as well be the most solid and reliable mainboard I have ever worked with. It can even put newer ones to shame - its ROCK solid. The downside, just as you said, is the absence of any overclocking whatsoever.

I knew this beforehand, and it was a conscious decision on my part. I have a Gigabyte GA-6VTXD also on hand, and it has overclocking features, but I just didn't like my system as much when running this board. It felt a little sluggish - and the BIOS, POST and beeps where not to my liking 😵 And I usually like Gigabyte products. So in the end I stuck with the Tiger 230T.

Sliderider mentioned using a voodoo3 3000 - and ideally I would. I just have to find one for dirt cheap, considering I have the 2000 version. Paying a lot extra just doesn't make sense.

AGP ones you can usually get for $10-$20, it's the PCI ones that you pay through the nose for most of the time. A good one to get is a V3 1000 like the ones that came with HP's and Gateways. They are on the larger circuit board and have no heatsink on them, but if you mount a nice heatsink/fan on it with some double sided thermal tape and run a pigtail off of a power supply connector to power it, you can overclock them all the way to 3500 speeds IF the memory chips can handle it. You have to check the speed rating on them first. According to Dodge Garage, 3dfx did a lot of strange things like sometimes putting really fast RAM chips on slow video cards. If they are rated 6ns they are good for up to 166mhz, and 5.5ns is good for 183. I've got 2 with 5.5ns chips on them. Don't get the little one with only 8mb of RAM. The 8mb really slows it down because it can't hold many textures. It will have to do some swapping which slows it down. One of the texture units is turned off by a registry entry, but turning it back on doesn't really make a noticeable difference, so it's the RAM size that is the more limiting factor.

Reply 13 of 13, by zeus3dfx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, it's hard enough finding good looking wallpapers - let alone anything with a retro theme to it. I still have so much software I want to install and play around with. This system is going to eat through my Christmas holidays - my girlfriend is probably going to start complaining.

But hey - old machinery is interesting. I have a LAN party scheduled in couple of days to kick things off. A bunch of friends are getting together for some multiplayer gaming, hockey on tv and pizza 😎

Guess who's lugging along the retro rig for UT fun.. Oh and I haven't mentioned it, but my favourite part of the system are those Nexus fans. I absolutely love them and how quiet they are.