VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

thought I shared some pics of the 486 machine that returned to me after a loan to a friend...

Several years ago I got lucky and got gifted this awesome AT case:

2mw740j.jpg

The case is very clean and white, almost scratch-free and heavy yellowing exists only on the right side-panel of the faccia (can't really explain this tremendous difference in color unless the pc was in a place that sunlight only affected this strip of plastic on the right side). (as a bonus you get to see my butchered PS1/pro faccia , it saddens me to see it like that and I only have my self to blame for what I did 20 years ago... 🙁)

Quest is an old Greek company, they are still in business AFAIK.

Never got the original hardware inside btw, but that was not a real problem 😊
I kept the Soyo 4SAW2 motherboard I loaned the system with and made the following "upgrades"
*replaced the i486DX2/66 with an AMx86-P75 (133mhz) ,
*upgraded RAM to 64MB of SIMM (4*16MB)
*replaced an S3 864 vga with (mandatory for me 🤣) a Riva128 PCI vga
*installed a SB16 (CT-2230 , don't know if I'll keep it installed though, I am open to suggestions)
*installed a SCC-1 card (sadly I have no spare LAPC/CM32L devices anymore...)
*replaced a noisy cdrom with a new LG-8164B DVD-rom
*installed a generic RTL-8139 NIC and with help from here I run the awesome mTCP ftpserver to transfer files to the pc with ease 😊
finally I installed a 20GB HDD and with the help of OnTrack's DiskManager and the DOS core from win98SE I have a nice 20GB FAT32 single partition for all my stuff 😏

so here is the little mess in the case 😜 😁

5dv70h.jpg

25tx0sj.jpg

and some Speedsys results:

33vdy81.jpg

the performance is OK-ish I think, the SiS chipset is not a speed-demon... at least the mobo offers a ps2-mouseport (one of the major reasons I got this at the first place) . I also had to replace the leaking ancient battery with a cr-2032 one with the info found here again 😁
(basically at this point I want to thank again everyone that helped by providing info with the battery replacement, ftpserver setup and UMB utilization on this mobo, you know who you are, mega-thanks!!!! 😀)

....and.... the mandatory questions I have for this machine 🤣

a. I see that this mobo has a "turbo switch" connector (JP21), will this work with the 5x86 cpu? (it would be handy for older games)
b. The last PCI slot is marked as "slave" , the manual does not say anything about it but I guess since the NIC did not work there, this pci slot shares resources with the ISA slot next to it? what can one install there that will function correctly? non-dma needing cards? found: dma sharing and needs a non-busmaster pci card... meh... and the VLB slot is also slave...
c. wth does it mean when the manual says that the mobo has a "built-in NCR 810 PCI SCSI driver? I assume that's a fancy name for the onboard ide?

So, there you have it! My 486ish machine! 😁 🤣

~~~ sidenote

I have decided to post some BIOS screens with the settings I chose so if anyone cares to bother can look at them and correct me or suggest improvements 😀

th_IMG00014-20120313-1247.jpg th_IMG00015-20120313-1248.jpg th_IMG00017-20120313-1253.jpg

Last edited by keropi on 2012-03-14, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just tried the turbo switch connector... Norton SysInfo gave the cpu a score of 287 and with turbo disables this goes to ~150 ... I was hoping it would go even lower but that's what I get for installing a 5x86/133mhz 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 15, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Performance suggestions:
Pic 1:disable all the 'shadow' thingy
Pic 2:Disable 'auto configuration' and put Read:1WS and Write:0WS if your ram is 60ns,if 70ns set it to Read:2WS and Write:1WS; set parallel port mode to SPP, that gives less IRQ problems

sidenotes:
1-"built in NCR 810 SCSI driver" that means that there is a built-in BIOS driver for that SCSI card
2-Use speedsys 4.78 and post you pic
3-What do you mean by DOS Win98 core?

2611708.png

Reply 5 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I must say, I'm constantly impressed with the quality of Soyo boards.

It's a shame they're not in the biz any more.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 15, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sebaz_ri wrote:

What do you mean by DOS Win98 core?

He means MS-DOS 7.1 (which supports FAT32 and is not a standalone version) which Windows 98 comes with and runs on top of.

Reply 7 of 15, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I must say, I'm constantly impressed with the quality of Soyo boards.

It's a shame they're not in the biz any more.

+1
Back then I had two boards from Soyo. A 386, which was later upgraded by a 5VA2 and a pentium 100. I might be influenced by the fact that I owned those two and were problem-free, but I also remember that Soyo was regarded as a good manufacturer. Nowadays during discussions about retro pc hardware, I see that people tend to have two completely different opinions. Some agree with me, but some others say that they were among the worst boards made ever....

Reply 8 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:
Performance suggestions: Pic 1:disable all the 'shadow' thingy Pic 2:Disable 'auto configuration' and put Read:1WS and Write:0WS […]
Show full quote

Performance suggestions:
Pic 1:disable all the 'shadow' thingy
Pic 2:Disable 'auto configuration' and put Read:1WS and Write:0WS if your ram is 60ns,if 70ns set it to Read:2WS and Write:1WS; set parallel port mode to SPP, that gives less IRQ problems

sidenotes:
1-"built in NCR 810 SCSI driver" that means that there is a built-in BIOS driver for that SCSI card
2-Use speedsys 4.78 and post you pic
3-What do you mean by DOS Win98 core?

thanks for these, I have enabled the "shadow thingies" because the instructions of UMB drivers insisted on them... will test without them
I will follow your suggestions and report on Monday with the results

and by DOS-win98-core I mean what AdamP wrote 😊

Reply 9 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am back with results faster than expected 😀

@sebaz_ri:
I did what you recommended and it actually was slower.... I use 4 identical 60ns 16MB simms and my RAM speed went from 24.26 to 22.04mb/sec ... I suppose "auto" configuration does use the optimal settings... cpu score was the same, 50.12

@SquallStrife, Markk
yeah Soyo are nice mobos , they were certainly very popular in Greece...
I can't comment on their quality because they could just be cheap mobos and were used in Greece to reduce the cost of machines (on the XT/286/386 and early 486 era computers here where considered a luxury and their import tax was double/triple of other consumer goods, IIIRC in some cases more than 40% or even 60% - my father was importing goods back then - so Soyo might just be some cheap mobos that fit the job).
So when you have a brand for so long ppl tend to consider it really good so they continue to use and buy it even though other brands might be better, simply because they knew it for so long.

Reply 10 of 15, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
I am back with results faster than expected :) […]
Show full quote

I am back with results faster than expected 😀

@sebaz_ri:
I did what you recommended and it actually was slower.... I use 4 identical 60ns 16MB simms and my RAM speed went from 24.26 to 22.04mb/sec ... I suppose "auto" configuration does use the optimal settings... cpu score was the same, 50.12

@SquallStrife, Markk
yeah Soyo are nice mobos , they were certainly very popular in Greece...
I can't comment on their quality because they could just be cheap mobos and were used in Greece to reduce the cost of machines (on the XT/286/386 and early 486 era computers here where considered a luxury and their import tax was double/triple of other consumer goods, IIIRC in some cases more than 40% or even 60% - my father was importing goods back then - so Soyo might just be some cheap mobos that fit the job).
So when you have a brand for so long ppl tend to consider it really good so they continue to use and buy it even though other brands might be better, simply because they knew it for so long.

@keropi
Post a pic with the 'auto configuration' disabled
the speedsys 4.70 'memory speed index' is not in mb/s please use ver 4.78

@SquallStrife,Markk
I have 6 Soyo mobos, 1 socket 7,4 slot 1 and 1 socket 462
the socket 7 got a barrel battery and now is dead because of the leaking
the slot 1 ones are 6BA+ 6BA+III and 2 6VBA133
about the 6BA+:good board but some BIOS releases generates IRQ problems in Win98
6ba+III:excellent board,takes P-III 1000 but this one have in the past a bit of bulged capacitors
6VBA133:really crappy board 1 crashes with win2000 and the other one was working OK until someday it simply died
the socket 462 is good also

2611708.png

Reply 11 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@sebaz_ri:
I am currently using version 478, the pic on the first shot is from 4.78 (sst478.zip)
When auto configuration is disabled all that changes is the DRAM SPEED that I can go to "fastest" but the machine will hang on IDE detection (60ns fpm simms used) , all other values are already on the lowest from auto... well I don't really expect much from a SiS mobo 😁

Reply 13 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yeah you are right... maybe I have an older version in the path and the machine runs this instead the new 4.78 I extracted... 🤣 I'll re-do the tests, this is embarrassing 🤣

Reply 14 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yeah you are right... maybe I have an older version in the path and the machine runs this instead the new 4.78 I extracted... 🤣 I'll re-do the tests, this is embarrassing 🤣

Reply 15 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, I am posting this
from Arachne 1.95 🤣 ,
just testing