VOGONS

Multimedia SuperTandy TL/2

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and also that the Lo-Tech RAM board can only do EMS OR UMBs but not both. However, given that he doesn't use more than ~43KB for UMBs and 2MB for EMS it sounds like a combination of the 1MB and 2MB EMS boards could accomplish everything the Acculogic does. However, I'm not certain if anyone has tried using two such boards in a system and how it worked.

Cloudschatze wrote:

SIt's okay though, really - I'm not looking to play Falcon 3.0 or Betrayal at Krondor on this system... 😀

Why not? 😜 Falcon 3.0 has the same requirements as Dune -- which you've already run. Betrayal at Krondor's minimum requirements show 386SX and 2MB RAM -- so you should be able to? I see you said you benchmarked at 7.4FPS in 3DBench. Based on our VGA benchmark database that's about a 386 SX @ 25mhz w/o a co-processor. That is pretty incredible for an XT machine. Does your I-O PK-X486S upgrade have an integrated mathco?

Reply 41 of 42, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

I'm not looking to play Falcon 3.0 or Betrayal at Krondor on this system... 😀

Why not? 😜

Falcon 3.0 and Betrayal at Krondor (CD-ROM) require 600KB and 590KB of conventional memory, respectively, where the most I'd managed to eke out of my config is ~580KB.

Does your I-O PK-X486S upgrade have an integrated mathco?

It does, however, the system will not boot with it enabled.

Reply 42 of 42, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's kind of weird. I usually have the reverse problems with these upgrades, being that I can't use them with the original 287 and 387 CPUs. Normally the integrated FPU on the upgrades works without a problem. I bet it's a fairly easy problem to fix, but might require modifying the motherboard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium