Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DSCN0121.jpg
DSCN0179.jpg
DSCN0180.jpg
DSCN0182.jpg
DSCN0184.jpg

This will be my most powerful retro computer and ironically, probably the cheapest

1. Generic socket 370 Via 694T chipset, I bought this recently from the UK as new/unused stock, bios is dated MAy 2002, recognised the P3 1.4 no problem.

2.ATI X800 PRO, I love putting stupidly fast graphics cards in my retro computers and this is no exception, I was trying to track down a cheapish Geforce 6800GS/GT/ULTRA but this card came up for the right price, the idea was to get the most powerful AGP card that supports windows 98.
I'm going to run DVI through to my DELL U2412M and set aspect ratio to 4:3, everything should look very nice and hopefully the card has no funny issues with dos games.

3. Ensoniq Soundscape S-2000, this should be okay as I plan to run newer dos games on this machine so it will use the external mpu-401 for midi.

4. P3 Tualatin 1.4Ghz, these are cheap and always plentiful, this cost less than $8 shipped, I might do some mild overclocking

5. Generic atx case that housed a P3 550, its grubby but should look okay with a decent clean, I like the simplicity

Other boring parts

80GB IDE hard disk
1.44" Floppy
52X CD-ROM
300 watt power supply(probably need an upgrade for the X800 PRO)
Thermaltake socket 370 cooler

AND RAM: I started another thread about PC-150 but I'll just use a 2x256meg pc-133 modules for simplicity/compatibility.

I was contemplating running XP as well with dual boot but their is'nt much point, even games like Farcry can run on windows 98 and I have another proper pc for running anything from the past 10 years anyway.

first thing i'll do when its up and running will be 3dmark 2001, I wonder how this machine will compare to my old Athlon XP1800+/GF4TI4200 ? That machine had a better CPU and DDR ram but my machine has a kick ass graphics card, I assume the athlon will win but im hoping for a respectable score, perhaps around 10,000?

Reply 2 of 15, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a nice machine. The CPU is pretty sweet.

That x800 will be loud, I have a very similar one. Played HL2 on it, so it's pretty quick.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 4 of 15, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like the fact that you have an ISA slot in a Tualatin board... I couldn't find any decent ones back when I was looking so I settled for PCI/AGP only.
I would have gone with a 6800Ultra OC (which I did in one of 'em), but the X800 is a respectable card, espeically if you're a fan of ATi.

The 52x cd-rom has a bit of history for me too... it was the first CD-ROM that I bought with my own money for my own computer.

Reply 5 of 15, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately the board is playing up BIGTIME

I cant decide if the board is toast or not, everything was going fine until today when I decided to hook all the hard disks/cd-rom/floppy and the machine seemed a bit glitchy, in the bios I noticed the key presses were slow then would operate normally.

I thought it might be memory, 3 different sticks made no difference, thought maybe video card, swapped to AGP 9800SE/ISA Et4000 no difference, swapped power supply, unhook everything except mainboard power, I think the heatsink could be positioned better so I take it out add more thermal paste, no difference, swap CPU no difference.

I think the board is gone after turning it on and nothing happening, after turning the machine on again and leaving it does post, after about 30 seconds, you know that quick bip/beep when you power a machine on? That lasts about 4-5 seconds but it goes to post in super slow motion, the machine is on at the moment but the bios detected the cpu as a 553mhz P3 something like 51mhzX10.5...

Don't know what to do.

edit: in PC health status the cpu temperature has always remained at 22 degrees, even when the computer was running properly with no cpu fan.

Reply 6 of 15, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got lucky and bought a Gigabyte GA-VTXE(-A) mainboard for $25 delivered a couple of months ago, for all intents and purposes its exactly the same as the board pictured except the main difference being switches to adjust the muliplier and fsb, the only options for overclocking are 140 & 150mhz

The good news is that everything appears to be working perfectly, I ran 3DMARK 2001SE and got 9700 points running the FSB at 140mhz giving the CPU 1470mhz, 150mhz did'nt work so ive bought 2x256meg crucial 133mhz/cl2 sticks, hopefully this will help run at 150mhz, should the CPU run at 150mhz with good ram and nothing else? IE stock cooler no voltage adjustments?

Another thing Ive noticed is the lack of screen tearing, I use to get heaps with my old ti4200 back in the day

The Soundscape appears to be working correctly, sound in windows, installed jagged alliance and got sound working through the setsound program in dos, I was'nt sure how to use the midi port for external midi but figured it out using ssinit.exe under dos.

This machine will get plenty of use!

Reply 7 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That board looks so new / colourful 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just read your description of what the old board was doing. It's possible that was caused by failing capacitors. When they start to go, the board can start to act up strangely, especially with more load.
I've heard of people putting generic Radio Shack caps on a motherboard, which are much higher ESR than proper motherboard caps (kind of like what a mobo cap would be like if it was halfway dead). When they did that, they found it was POSTing very slowly, like what your board was doing.

Reply 9 of 15, by Stedman5040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My tualatin set up uses a Gigabyte GA6 OXET board. This is really a beast of a board and with a Pentium III-s 1133 I can overclock to 177 fsb, which a cpu speed of 1504MHz, keeping the pci bus and agp bus in spec. This board has a pll setting inside the bios. I use a chipset cooling fan obtained from a single computer board and Apacer pc133 cl2 ram. Unfortunately the Apacer ram can only do the 177fsb at CL3. Using Cl2 settings it gets to about 170fsb before dying. Not so bad really for PC133 SDram.

Stedman.

K6 III+ 500
Epox MVPG2
512Mb Hynix CL2 SDRAM
40MB WD HDD
Creative GeForce2 Ti
CMI8738 Sound card

Reply 10 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

higher ESR makes things go wonky on some boards, i pull my caps off other boards for from the the grab bag we once bought, i make sure they fit as close as possible to the physical size to the old/broken cap.

Reply 11 of 15, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:
Got lucky and bought a Gigabyte GA-VTXE(-A) mainboard for $25 delivered a couple of months ago, for all intents and purposes its […]
Show full quote

Got lucky and bought a Gigabyte GA-VTXE(-A) mainboard for $25 delivered a couple of months ago, for all intents and purposes its exactly the same as the board pictured except the main difference being switches to adjust the muliplier and fsb, the only options for overclocking are 140 & 150mhz

The good news is that everything appears to be working perfectly, I ran 3DMARK 2001SE and got 9700 points running the FSB at 140mhz giving the CPU 1470mhz, 150mhz did'nt work so ive bought 2x256meg crucial 133mhz/cl2 sticks, hopefully this will help run at 150mhz, should the CPU run at 150mhz with good ram and nothing else? IE stock cooler no voltage adjustments?

Another thing Ive noticed is the lack of screen tearing, I use to get heaps with my old ti4200 back in the day

The Soundscape appears to be working correctly, sound in windows, installed jagged alliance and got sound working through the setsound program in dos, I was'nt sure how to use the midi port for external midi but figured it out using ssinit.exe under dos.

This machine will get plenty of use!

Good RAM definitely helps, but max FSB speed seems to depend more on the motherboard. My PIII-S will only do 148MHz FSB on an i815 board, but it easily handles 152MHz on my TUV4X (694X) board.

Your 3DMark01 score is a little low. What driver are you using? The newer ones are quite a bit slower, especially in DX7 and 8. I've found Catalyst 7.3 to be the best driver for cards older than the X1800/1900. With Catalyst 7.3, my Tualatin @ 1600 gets 11,449 points with a 9800 Pro.

Also, use CPU-Z to check if memory interleaving is enabled. My TUV4X has this enabled by default, but some VIA-based boards leave this option disabled. If you can't find the setting in the BIOS, try using George Breese's Memory Interleave Enabler:
http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/#INT

Reply 12 of 15, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stedman5040 wrote:

My tualatin set up uses a Gigabyte GA6 OXET board. This is really a beast of a board and with a Pentium III-s 1133 I can overclock to 177 fsb, which a cpu speed of 1504MHz, keeping the pci bus and agp bus in spec. This board has a pll setting inside the bios. I use a chipset cooling fan obtained from a single computer board and Apacer pc133 cl2 ram. Unfortunately the Apacer ram can only do the 177fsb at CL3. Using Cl2 settings it gets to about 170fsb before dying. Not so bad really for PC133 SDram.

Stedman.

I would like to add that the GA-6OXET and the -C variant are the best Tualatin boards that I've used so far. At least for single CPU options.
I managed to get the 6OXET with the dual bios and onboard creative chip for pocket change.