VOGONS

Slot A box

Topic actions

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest creation, to replace my P4 ISA box which [omfg] was giving slowdowns in the music when starting up Vinyl (that game runs on a 486, why is music slowing down on a 2.8ghz P4!? Mind you, it sounds slurry on an athlon xp200+ running on a yamaha sp-724). Anyway, the latest box of old hardware:

MSI MS-6167
Athlon 700
98SE
Creative Rendition Verite PCI
Canopus Voodoo1
NEC PCX2
Aztech Waverider Pro 32-3D PnP
3COM905-TX
+ 1 spare ISA slot for maybe a MIDI card
+ looks like I could fit an agp card too if I get really bored

All seems to work, the Rendition Verite gives a great picture in Warcraft 1 it's up there with the Matrox G200 and Wildcat VP cards, none of that interference/whatever crap I get with Voodoo's, GF2's and S3's. And the water pulses just nice, not strobing too fast like it usually does on faster boxes.

vquake runs, looks identical to just quake.exe. I guess that's the point of it.

Vinyl gives a massive artfefact on one loading screen [vertical striping over the whole screen] but it doesn't persist. Some problem with changing video mode perhaps?

Problems:

GLQuake on the Voodoo1. Using the 3dfx miniGL, I get a black patch on the screen. I guess the Canopus is outputting something on its various ports, but it doesn't use a passthrough cable so I need to hook a cable up to the vga port on it.

Removing the 3dfx miniGL presumably means glquake runs on the pcx2 - adding the pcx2 opengl32 file to the quake folder makes no difference so I guess this is the case? Glquake then plays in a very small window top left. I'm only on 800x600 res and I've set glquake to use -width 320, which means it responds ok. Didn't know it would go that low!

Final issue: the desktop will only display at 800x600, ignores my attempts to set 640x480. Is that a feature of the Rendition Verite or do i have a driver problem?

Edit: waverider card I could not get to play with warcraft without running in ps-dos mode, which I hate. Replaced with ews64xl. Really brought home to me what a quality product that is - unlike the aztech, the terratec just works in this rig even with all its damn resource requirements. Yay.