VOGONS

First post, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally found the right case I wanted, so I transferred my SS7 parts over to it and got everything going. Specs are:
AMD K6-III @ 400 mhz
Epox SS7 motherboard EP-MPV3G2
AWE64 soundcard
3DFX Banshee AGP
256 megs ram
two Quantum Fireball hard drives (one for Dos, one for Win98)
DVD drive
350 watt psu
Chen Ming ATX-103B case modified (perfect cut) to have a air intake area at the top for a 80mm fan

DSCN5012.jpg

DSCN5010.jpg

DSCN5009.jpg

DSCN5008.jpg

DSCN5046.jpg

Reply 3 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice but that monitor? Looks like the result of a PC and MAC spending a night together 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 13, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Very nice but that monitor? Looks like the result of a PC and MAC spending a night together 😀

Lol yeah. My 19 inch Sony Trinitron VGA would be more of a match color and design wise, but its way way too heavy to place on that case, so its being boxed away. Plus that monitor there, its stand uses legs instead of laying flat which is exactly what I need so the fan on the top of the case isn't blocked. I think I got this monitor for 2 bucks or something a couple of months back and its in awesome condition so I'm happy with it.

As for the black dvd drive comment, same thing. I'm actually less concerned with color matching on drives and more concerned with functionality. The only white DVD drives I have for personal use are not up to snuff compared to my black ones. If I cared to, I could paint it, but I don't, just not a concern for me. In fact, if the case itself was black Id be just as happy or whatever, if not happier. Having a beige or white case is not important to me, I just wanted a set top box build for my K6-III because I am tired of using towers for everything. This will help me on space.

Reply 6 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very cool! I was attempting to find a decent mother board with AGP, PCI, and at least one ISA slot, but couldn't find an affordable one. Everyone seems to want buku money for one! I ended up building two retro computers, much to my wife/living room floor's dismay. I cram all my computer stuff into a corner next to the TV so I'm not in the way when someone wants to play Zelda on the Wii.

I need to buy a house with a garage and a man-cave, er...office. 😉

Funny quote of last night for me:
"Are you playing Klingon Academy again, John??"
"No, this is Ultima 9."
"Oh...same thing."
"It's *not* the same thing!" (Solid Snake voice)

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 7 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmrydholm wrote:
Very cool! I was attempting to find a decent mother board with AGP, PCI, and at least one ISA slot, but couldn't find an afforda […]
Show full quote

Very cool! I was attempting to find a decent mother board with AGP, PCI, and at least one ISA slot, but couldn't find an affordable one. Everyone seems to want buku money for one! I ended up building two retro computers, much to my wife/living room floor's dismay. I cram all my computer stuff into a corner next to the TV so I'm not in the way when someone wants to play Zelda on the Wii.

I need to buy a house with a garage and a man-cave, er...office. 😉

Funny quote of last night for me:
"Are you playing Klingon Academy again, John??"
"No, this is Ultima 9."
"Oh...same thing."
"It's *not* the same thing!" (Solid Snake voice)

The best way to find some things I try your luck locally such as going to yard sales, dumpster diving (landed a v3 2k pci and a dfi k6xv3+ 66 that way), or going to the local flea market if there is one near by. I am looking into sales that people do when they purchase storage units at auction from companies that people had rented out but didn't keep up the rent.

Reply 8 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm dumpster diving...For PC parts? I probably wouldn't. For DeLorean parts- mmm, maybe! 😉

There are some decent pawn shops here and there in North Kansas City. I try to stay out of the bad neighborhoods, but they usually have a good selection.

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 9 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmrydholm wrote:

Hmm dumpster diving...For PC parts? I probably wouldn't. For DeLorean parts- mmm, maybe! 😉

There are some decent pawn shops here and there in North Kansas City. I try to stay out of the bad neighborhoods, but they usually have a good selection.

LoLs, I once landed a 42inch Zenith plasma tv but later sold it on eBay that I had found in a dumpster.

Reply 10 of 13, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, a 42" plasma? Did it even work? That's a heck of a find

Reply 11 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 for the dumpster diving. I found a nice dell, that I sold on criagslist for $100 and all I needed to do was clean it up a bit, slap a spare stick of ram in it and keep the 2nd 250gb hard drive for my own use.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 13, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I don't go out of my way to do that, If I see someones discarded something like a computer, sitting there all lonely at the curb, yeah I'll stop and grab it if it looks salvageable. I'd rather get the stuff put to some kind of use then filling a landfill needlessly.

Reply 13 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmrydholm wrote:

Wow, a 42" plasma? Did it even work? That's a heck of a find

Besides a scratch it was is pretty good shape, but the Z module failed. Display panel, Y module, and tuner boards were all working. It had both analog and digit tuners I think which would have made it just right for retro use.