VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OR “Weirdo steals dusty rubbish from junk yard”. Depends who you ask. Either way I admit that I’m a little obsessed. I have all the retro computers I'll ever need but when I see these beauties sitting on the scrap heap at my local recycle centre, I just can't help myself. They never put this older stuff up for sale, it’s worth more as scrap metal apparently.

These might be of no interest to anyone but me, but I thought I'd show them off before I wrap them in plastic and shove them in the shed.

Here's a cool little 386DX40, complete and in great condition. Built like a tank and has 8mb RAM, 120mb HDD and 1mb video. It would have been a decent little performer back in the day!

ASUS ISA386C motherboard, 64kb cache, SIS chipset, and non-soldered on CPU which I haven't come across before. Someone wisely removed the barrel battery long ago:
2012-05-14211208.jpg

Winbond serial and game port card:
2012-05-14212013.jpg

UMC IDE controller:
2012-05-14212030.jpg

Bog standard Trident VGA card, although it does have 1mb which is something!
2012-05-14212101.jpg

All cleaned up and reassembled; a nice example of a home PC circa 1992. It works like a dream and already had DOS 6 / Windows 3.1 + heaps of games waiting for me on the HDD. I gave Prince of Persia 2 a run, wincing in pain as the screeching of the PC speaker hit my ears.
2012-05-14221804.jpg
IMG_2661.jpg

From ’92 to ’04, I can’t believe someone deemed this thing to be rubbish - a P4 3Ghz. It would have been a killer gaming rig once upon a time and is still a perfectly serviceable computer for most peoples needs. It was choked with dust and missing a HDD, but otherwise it’s fine:

Gainward 6600GT:
2012-05-03135910.jpg

ASUS Motherboard, 1GB RAM and ridiculous Zalman cooler – this cooler alone would have been worth saving, I saw one new for 100 bucks the other day.
2012-05-03212927.jpg

Dust free and back together; it looks fancier than my i5. It has a nice modular case with lots of fans / airflow. I’ve since added an Audigy SZ to finish it off. I installed XP and gave Farcry a run – very nice. Unfortunately though I have no use for it – I have a dual boot XP / Win7 on my modern PC – so into the shed this goes too.
2012-05-06114837.jpg
2012-05-06114719.jpg

And finally a “Pro Series” socket 5 machine. These bad boys were sold by a local (AU) company during the mid 90’s and were featured in a few articles / advertisements in PC magazines until ultimately disappearing. They were relatively high end and won a few “speed king” awards. The socket 5 100Mhz, #9 GXE64 video setup it came with was nice and all but not really fast enough to be useful, so I’ve upgraded it with a socket 7 166MMX, Tseng Labs ET6100, and Voodoo 1, Ensoniq Soundscape setup. And finally, this is a machine I do have a use for, it’ll serve me well as a Duke3D / Descent / Quake Windows 95 machine.
IMG_2656.jpg
IMG_2655.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WHO THE HELL THREW AWAY A PERFECTLY GOOD LIAN LI?!?!? Awesome finds man, can't say I'm not jealous. That 386 looks solid, and that Lian Li is a great case. I have a black PC-65 in my main PC, which is pretty much the same case, only with a slightly different front button arrangement, and I still love it. The quality is great, it's a pleasure to work with thanks to the motherboard tray, and it looks great. It's not the best for cable management these days but other than that it's awesome.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 2 of 10, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jealous of the P5LD2 board. It looks like if its Rev2.0 it supports up to E6700 which I bet is a nice upgrade over the P4 3GHz.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 5 of 10, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to get one of those yellow, Back to the Future radiation suits and go dumpster diving near office buildings.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 7 of 10, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't believe the condition of that 386 case! Looks new.

I live near (10 minute drive) a computer/TV/whatever recycler but I dont finish work until 3.30pm which is'nt quite enough time to look through the computers, I guess anything is worth saving 486 and under that does'nt have corrosion damage? The guy told me of one client that had 50 286 towers to dispose of? Man I'd love to work their for a year or two.

Reply 8 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

holy shit on a stick, someone tossed a lian li case? I'm just flabbergasted. Those things START at the $100 mark and go from there!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 10, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a shame that more electronic recycling places don't take more interest in re-selling rather than just scrapping (be it online selling, or an actual warehouse/store location).

Maybe sorting costs are more of a problem, but a lot of old (let alone not so old) stuff should be more valuable than scrap, if in decent condition. (even untested/as-is)
Not to mention the really rare/collectable stuff that's definitely worth the investment of sorting. (though, to some extent, it's the high percentage of parts getting thrown away that drives those prices in the first place)

Too bad there aren't more places like Weirdstuff Warehouse . . . though, come to think of it, I really should look into what other sorts of recycling/used parts warehouse stores exist around here (SF Bay Area), especially any other places specifically oriented towards re-selling the stuff. (albeit, one problem with places that DO actually aim at selling old parts is that it much of it goes for long periods unsorted and stored in the warehouse and generally inaccessible to customers -though not scrapped-)

OTOH, Weirdstuff itself recently seems to have removed all preSocket 370 hardware from their website sales listings (and ebay store) . . . a weird jump though, from listing back to late 70s hardware (though tons of mid/late 90s stuff mostly) to listing only early 2000s stuff onward. (even in the site menu options)