VOGONS

First post, by whatsdos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I have many old p3 machines around, and Google has sent me to this site a lot in regards to my questions. I figured I would get on board.

I use Linux on all of my boxes currently, but had a Tuali Celeron on a TaborII win98se/2000 dual boot system in the late 90s/early 00s.

The box I am building Is as follows:

-CPU P3 -1400/512 (w/ lin-lin socket 370 adapter)
-MB- FP-VA693A
-Case- from Dell XPS D300 (p2 era machine)
-Memory 2x256 MB pc133 CL3 ram
-Video Nvidia NV05 agp tnt2 32MB CT5823 (I think this came with the original Dell XPS)
-Sound- CT4170 isa :disapproving:

Hope to boot it up for bios check in the next few minutes.

I also have the following hardware laying around that I may be able to use.
-Video Cards
Matrox g45+ agp
Nvidia Velocity Riva 128
S3 Vision864 VI-930 rev1.0
S3 Trio62 Stealth 64 DRAM
-sound card
SB Live! SB0220 pci
-Other
Symbios SYM8951U scsi pci card.

I have 6.22 disks, w98SE, w95, and dos 7.0? (this was made from w98se some program that created a dos install from windows)

I am not sure what I will us as OS, probably 6.22

Reply 2 of 4, by whatsdos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It will be for games only. I don't have any dos software, but have found some decent shareware games out there. I never had a gaming rig from the dos era. I had an 8088 with a 286 expansion board in the early 90s, but only used it for BBS access.

My first i386 compatible was a super7 with K6-2 500. It had win98se. I still think I have some games on disk from that time. Possible dual boot?

Reply 3 of 4, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for dos games that p3 might be a little too fast, depending on what era of games you'll play. i don't remember if the multiplier/fsb is locked or not so you can slow it down. disabling the cache is another option too.

also that ct4170 is a SB16 but without an OPL3 chip, but compatibility with dos should be higher than with the Live!.

you can also put an additional gfx card apart from the tnt2, like the s3 trio for better compatibility with older games.

Reply 4 of 4, by whatsdos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After an early failure, I was able to boot it up. I had a bad intel nic card in it at first, wouldn't get to bios. Removed the nic and all was good.

I do have a 800EB that I could use instead. If I swap fsb jumpers to 66MHz, it will be running @ 400. Would this be slow enough for dos games?

I may stick w/ w98 only, then i would keep the 1400. But, I have a good 345MB maxtor ide that hasn't had any love in a very long time....