VOGONS

My Pentium MMX gaming rig

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Friends come to mind. When it came to dick waving, Gunther said "It's a family place here, put the mouse back in the house".

So, thank you for advice, I don't think I'm going for more RAM here, I don't even have a person to dickwave in front of 😁 Although later I'll try to put a 12ns 128K cache chip from a 430FX board in the DIP socket and see what happens.

Reply 21 of 25, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Friends come to mind. When it came to dick waving, Gunther said "It's a family place here, put the mouse back in the house".

So, thank you for advice, I don't think I'm going for more RAM here, I don't even have a person to dickwave in front of 😁 Although later I'll try to put a 12ns 128K cache chip from a 430FX board in the DIP socket and see what happens.

Reply 22 of 25, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can run "ctcm" (ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctcm17a.zip) to see if there's any uncached ram in your current configuration. You might not even need the tag ram to increase performance.

::42::

Reply 23 of 25, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mystery wrote:

You can run "ctcm" (ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctcm17a.zip) to see if there's any uncached ram in your current configuration. You might not even need the tag ram to increase performance.

Thank you, I'm 99% sure that all the RAM is cached, I just want to check out how different TAG influences performance. There can't be two TAGs at the same time, right? So the existing TAG should get disabled with DIP unempty. I just hope I could get some 0.5%-1% performance change (don't know to which side) using a different chip, or use better timings, or whatever. Out of curuosity, nothing else drives me here.

Anyway, I'm on a holiday to the ancient city of St.Petersburg, I'll do the test once I get home 😀