How fast is too fast for DOS?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel i7 4790K is the MINIMUM for DOS!

Hah, but in all seriousness, anything from 8088-Pentium I should be good... as mentioned use cache trickery to slow things down if needed.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 22 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So that would pretty much include any post-486 machine ? 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 25 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

So that would pretty much include any post-486 machine ? 😉

🤣 why? i had a 500mhz machine with a working isa slot

Yeah, but it wasn't "real" as in native. 😁
If it was 100% real, it would have been connected to the front side bus of a 286 processor.
Or at least directly to the chipset in case of later processor generations (386/486).
Pentiums usually push ISA through the whole PCI conglomerate.

Anyway, never mind! 😀 I was just nitpicking here..

In pratice, ISA on an older Pentium works as good most of the time
(for example, on-boardl stuff still runs via Super I/O instead of LPC bus, etc).
In fact, I once ran an old 8bit tape controller card on a Pentium 166 to rescue data
off of my father's old QIC tapes.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 26, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems to depend entirely on the era and what you want to run. There's a long, long list of games with speed sensitive issues but then you have software rendered games with high resolutions for which I'm beginning to think there is no such such thing as 'too fast' - my S939 system doesn't even do 30FPS @ 1600x1200 in PCPBench and it has one of the fastest single core chips made. ISA is mentioned but there seem to be a number of PCI cards that work just fine for later DOS/SB emulation -- if you're not going to be using it for FM music for instance. So I'd say once your motherboard no longer has PCI.