VOGONS

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a machine that I think would be typical of a late-1997/early-1998 build. This is something I would have built (I never had a Pentium, but went from 486 to PentiumPro 200 to PII-450) probably as a last ditch effort to inject some life into a first generation Pentium with the upcoming Pentium II revolution quickly approaching. This is the one I picked up at the Thrift Store for $7. It's gone through a couple variations, but I've settled on this. Now, if I could just leave stuff alone. I like the board, and I wanted to MAX OUT the CPU on it, so 233MMX it was...it has sockets for 72-pin AND SDRAM. It took me a while to find SDRAM that worked, but I did, and it maxes out at 32MB. Any bigger size SDRAM and you'll only get 1/2 the capacity. For storage, at the time there was no better than Plextor in CD-ROM land and the newly released and HOT (literally and figuratively) Seagate 7200-rpm drives were a requirement for someone wanting to eke out the last little bit of horsepower this aging platform had to offer. On the video side I settled on the Marvel G200 for its good performance. I have later cards that would have worked but they would have been "period-incorrect" for what I was planning. The 100M/bit NIC would have been odd for the time, and expensive for a home PC, but I thought it was a nice addition. Back then, I did occasionally play around with my own home network. The SCSI card is strictly to run the CD-ROM, the AWE64 is not my favorite, but it would have been the "upgrade" at the time for someone like me who was still working with a CT1740. Finally, the ESP card....ok, admit it, how many of us WEREN'T looking for that extra last kB/s from our blisteringly fast already k56flex modems! 😀

Here are the specs:

Enlight Desktop Case
200-watt Sparkle Power Supply
Aopen AP5VM Motherboard w/ VX Chipset
Pentium 233MMX
32MB SDRAM
Seagate ST34520A 4.3GB 7200-rpm IDE
Plextor 8Plex SCSI CD-ROM
Matrox Marvel G200 w/ 16MB
3COM 3C905-TX
Creative SB64AWE Gold w/ 32MB + SIMMConn
Hayes ESP Accelerator
Adaptec AVA-1505 SCSI-2

Anyway, I'm not the super-greatest at doing write-ups, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves! Enjoy!

Here are the pics:

dcp01705.jpg
By cookiejarbill at 2012-06-17

The innards. I've been criticized before about my sloppy cabling, but to me I like the looks of it...it speaks "function." 😀 Also, I've been splitting and binding flat ribbon cables LONG before it was the "cool" (pun intended) thing to do just for ease of cable routing and looks. That itty-bitty squirrel fan moves a BUNCH of air, the mobo actually has a 2-pin fan header, and those heatsinks in front of the fan get really HOT during use!

dcp01706.jpg

Here's its face to the world. The industrial look of the Plextor contrasts well with the nice, clean lines, 😀 and all the LED's have that retro-early-light green/orange color. Don't forget the key to the keyboard lock....so useful. I have about 100 of those CD trays laying around from cast-offs and yardsale finds.

dcp01708.jpg

And here's the business end. Not much room for ANYTHING else left to plug in there....although I feel it's screaming for a nice generation 1 Voodoo card. They're hard to find.... but here's a hint, check my sig and we can make a deal! 😀 The MoBo actually has a (non-standard) USB header that provides me with a whopping (2) USB 1.0 ports. It has a PS/2 mouse header as well, but I ran out of IRQ's so it had to be disabled. This computer gets to use the standard Intellipoint serial mouse.

sstimg01.png

And our ubiquitous SST results. If any of these results look outta-whack, let me know as I have little experience with the straight-up Pentiums. This system runs Windows95 OSR2.5 and has NO EXCLAMATION POINTS! 😁 I do know one thing, when Win95 is running w/ QEMM97 it registers as having NO L2 cache...curious, but everything seems to run fine and QEMM97 "reports" that it's helping me, whether it is or not??? Also, one other thing I've been spoiled by is the internal Zip archive functions of the later Windows OS and my current Ubuntu. I found a great retro-Win95-program called "PowerDesk 1.1" by Myjenix that is a replacement for the canned Windows Explorer and reminds me a LOT of the old Windows 3.1 File Manager with Zip support!

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice work but got to say it building one is never enough and they are like potato chips, one isn't enough until you have had the whole bag. 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I know it....but seriously, though, after I get my hands on a Voodoo1 card, I plan for that to be IT for this Pentium system. Next up, I have some things to finish up on my OS/2 system. My 486 is back under the weather again, waiting on parts...I have a 386 stashed in a box, waiting on a case. After that, 486-based PCI system, also waiting on some parts and a case. Then my ultimate Win98 system is almost close. And if all goes well, I have a 286 waiting in the wings for me to spend time/$$$ on it. The funniest part about all of this is that it's my MODERN PC that gets neglected the most, it will be vintage soon, it's ca. 2008. 😀

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a nice rig you have 😉

I have a couple cases with the little lock but don't have any of the keys 😵
The VX supports SDRAM, but only the lowest density so 32meg is indeed the max it will take with the one slot it has. You should be able to use 64meg of EDO or FPM if you have that laying around (more and you'll have the uncached area thingy happening).
Usually you can't run SDRAM and 72p SIMMs together though, would've been marvelous if that were possible 😁

Very nice build you have there, looks like you really thought it through 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I really had no intentions of doing this build, if I didn't "happen up" on this at the thrift store. At $7 for the complete box, I thought it was a pretty good basis for a build. It had the lowest of the low components when it was originally built. I'm sure it came from one of those small Mom&Pop computer places that built a LOT of low-end systems for local residents.

According to the manual, I could bump it up even to 128MB EDO, but I went with the SDRAM for the coolness factor. I wonder if there is that much performance difference? Something to try next time I have it apart. And no, you CANNOT use the EDO and SDRAM at the same time, unfortunately, the manual states it.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 6 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
7cjbill2 wrote:

Yeah, I know it....but seriously, though, after I get my hands on a Voodoo1 card, I plan for that to be IT for this Pentium system. Next up, I have some things to finish up on my OS/2 system. My 486 is back under the weather again, waiting on parts...I have a 386 stashed in a box, waiting on a case. After that, 486-based PCI system, also waiting on some parts and a case. Then my ultimate Win98 system is almost close. And if all goes well, I have a 286 waiting in the wings for me to spend time/$$$ on it. The funniest part about all of this is that it's my MODERN PC that gets neglected the most, it will be vintage soon, it's ca. 2008. 😀

Yea same here but sadly not as much 486 as I would like as I only got one 486 waiting for parts. For everything else I have no shortage of socket 7 boards that have piled up and almost all are not super7. Got a mountain of a gpu collection 🤣. Quickly filling up a filing cabinet and already can't move it much. As for modern well it got too expensive for me to keep up to date and maintain my modern rigs is that main reason why I have gone back to retro.

Got like 10TB worth in drives ... 😅

Reply 7 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it got too expensive for me to keep up to date and maintain my modern rigs

Amen, brother.....I'm still quite happy with my dual core Pentium EE, nForce-SLI, and the dual 9800GT cards. It still plays all the games I like, mostly IL-2, Fallout, and Stalker. I have a nice water-cooling setup to go on it, but it's just not as "fun" as retro.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 8 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
7cjbill2 wrote:

it got too expensive for me to keep up to date and maintain my modern rigs

Amen, brother.....I'm still quite happy with my dual core Pentium EE, nForce-SLI, and the dual 9800GT cards. It still plays all the games I like, mostly IL-2, Fallout, and Stalker. I have a nice water-cooling setup to go on it, but it's just not as "fun" as retro.

Couldn't have said it better my self but sadly had gone a little to far about modern stuff though. Try a 990FX board with a p2 x4 and 16gb of ram. My i5 rig kicked the bucked because of my crappy board didn't like Fermi all that well so the pic-e slots failed or so I am thinking. The last is a xfx 780i (bought it for $38.70 back in 2009) that I am going to use as a daily rig until my i5 gets rebuilt. Saving the amd rig for storage and video editing. Spent a pretty penny on my A8 3530mx with 8gb ddr3 1600 gaming laptop. 😒

Going back from Fermi to GT200A thinking the build quality was going to be much better was a big mistake and a waste of money. Hello money pit. 😒

Reply 9 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the "Hayes ESP Accelerator" actually do? From your description, I guess it's a dialup modem, but what's special about it? Do you actually use it?

Also, I'm digging that squirrel-cage fan on the CPU, how effective is it?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I just realized I never changed my e-mail address on here for notifications.

"Back in the day" you would get a Hayes ESP board for your dial-up modem. Better FIFO, more buffer, etc. I couldn't really tell much of a difference, myself.

I now the air coming out of that squirrel fan is quite warm, so I'd say it's fairly effective. I realize your supposed to blow into the heatsink, but I had it and the MoBo connector and size was correct for it so I just decided to mount it and use it.

Ironically, this is probably going to go up for some changes. I got one of the early Seagate Medalist Pro 7200-rpm 4GB dries and it runs HOT so I have a nice drive cooler to install. In addition, I scored a Powerleap K6-III 333Mhz adapter I want to install. I'd really like to remove the AWE64 gold and put it in my Super 7 build, but I sort-of like it in this machine. Oh yeah, finally found a Voodoo1 card also, so it's been installed.

Will pay $$$ for: