VOGONS

First post, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit of story... as a (geeky) teenager in the early 2000s I used to make a bit of money building and repairing PCs in my spare time, usual stuff. People would donate their old hardware to me or I'd just pick it up from the curb, anything good would go to upgrade the PCs in my house first, and the rest was built into usable machines which I'd sell or give to people who need them. I love tinkering with old hardware so I got much enjoyment out of it. I lived in a small house with an enclosed, roofed patio which quickly became my 'operations center'.

Back then, Socket 3 stuff was EVERYWHERE, I was full to the brim with Socket 3 motherboards, 486 CPUs and an assortment of RAM and ISA cards that came with them. When I would receive or find an old computer, 9 times out of 10 it'd be a 486, so that's the kind of hardware I tinkered with the most. I consider myself a spoiled child since I grew up with a Pentium PC when they were state of the art (and everybody had 486s or older if they had a computer at all). My father spent a big pile of cash on a powerful PC for his graphic design work (and video games!).

At first there was a market for old 486s, people would pick them up as a cheap spare PC for the kids to play games on, for light office work or even very light web browsing, even then I was getting more 486 stuff than I could get rid of. At one point they just became hopelessly obsolete and nobody would want them. I collected an enormous amount of old hardware I couldn't bring myself to throw out, and everywhere I looked, more Socket 3 stuff popped up. And don't make me get started on CRT monitors!

As I grew older I got bored of the old stuff and started tinkering with newer hardware, also my mother was becoming upset about my obsolete hardware hoarding (since we lived in a pretty small place). At one point a non-obvious roof leak killed a whole bunch of motherboards and ISA cards I had in cardboard boxes, when it rained the backs of the boxes got soaking wet and I didn't notice until their contents turned into a big pile of rust. That incident and my mother talking about moving to a bigger house but not wanting me to fill it up with this "obsolete junk" among other things made me take the difficult decision of throwing almost everything away (I only kept the SoundBlaster cards and a handful of components I deemed worthwhile). I tried to take it as a (hopefully) positive change in lifestyle and a sign of growing up and moving on. I did move to a bigger place and I started focusing on electronics (my childhood passion) and video game consoles.

Back to the present... Pre-Pentium stuff is now non-existant around here! I see you guys complaining about the high prices of old hardware on eBay, but here if you search for anything 486 or older on MercadoLibre (the Latin American eBay subsidiary) you get zero results. No more 486 or older stuff on recycling centers, thrift stores, or lying on the curb. Nothing. Not even scrappers would take such old hardware nowadays. I have come to the sad realization that it must all be in landfills now. 😢

Fortunately I managed to keep enough stuff around to build myself a decent working 486 rig which I'll surely post about here once I get it out of storage and remember what kind of hardware I put in it! 😵

So what does it all have to do with the point of this post? For all the Socket 3 stuff I got my hands on over the years, the only 5x86 CPU I got was a loose Evergreen Technologies 5x86 133 upgrade with two broken pins, I tried to kludge two makeshift pins with thin pieces of copper wire to try to test it out but it didn't boot so I proclaimed it as dead (I might still have that processor lying around somewhere). Besides that, I've never had, seen or used another 5x86 machine in my life.

Some time ago I was talking to a friend and I mentioned that I've never seen or used a working 586, and I'd like to get my hands on one but seeing how 486 stuff has pretty much disappeared around here I'd be better off forgetting about it. He mentioned that he did have an AMD 5x86 machine at some point, and that he'll be on the lookout. Months passed and one day he calls me. "I got you a 5x86 CPU with a motherboard!" he exclaimed. "I got it at a flea market for (roughly) US$2. You wanted one so it's yours to keep." I haven't been this excited for a piece of retro hardware in ages!

The day we meet again he brings it to my house, it's a nice Tomato 4DPS VER 2.0 (but says 1.6 on the BIOS) with an AMD Am5x86-P75 ADW.

586_board_before_s.jpg

I spotted that the 24.xx MHz crystal (which I presume belongs to the Super I/O controller) was dangling on one leg, a quick touch-up with my soldering iron fixed that. My friend was also curious to see if the board worked so he made me improvise a test rig to find out. But when I was going to put in a RAM stick...

586_broken_slots_3_s.jpg

...I noticed that the SIMM slots are broken, both 72-pin memory slots are missing one clip to hold the memory module in place. I tried putting the memory in anyway - it wouldn't POST, one clip doesn't cut it. If I held the module in place firmly with my hand it would POST, but the slightest movement would glitch or hang up the system, what a disappointment. I don't have any other working PCI Socket 3 board (or any 5x86 compatible Socket 3 board for that matter) and my chances of getting one nowadays are slim to none. I was really enthusiastic about putting together a 5x86 based rig and this was a big show-stopper. At one point I was thinking of hot-gluing the RAM sticks in place just so that I could use the mobo, but that would be a huge pain if I wanted to experiment and I don't see that being very reliable either, so I just put the board away for the time being.

The proper solution would be to replace both broken SIMM slots with good ones taken from a non-working motherboard. I am an electronics technician and I own proper soldering equipment (temperature controlled soldering iron and a hot air SMD rework station) so I think I should be able to do it. The only PC motherboard repair I've done in the past is replacing blown capacitors on Dell Optiplex motherboards, and even with the proper tools soldering/desoldering through-hole stuff on a motherboard is no easy task. I knew I'd do it some day, I just need to get into the right mood 🙄, but it seems that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. 😒

In the meantime I think I got the right motivation thanks to some nifty hardware findings. I worked at an electronics store last year and about a month ago my then-supervisor calls me. "Hey, sadly this place is closing down in a few days so we need to get rid of a bunch of stuff lying around in the office. I know you're into PC hardware so I've salvaged a few goodies for you." I went there and came home packed with useful stuff like ATX PSUs, mice, assorted cables (power/serial/parallel/USB/etc), adapters and whatnot. I also got a SoundBlaster AWE64 Value card, a Gravis PC GamePad, some SCSI hard drives, some ADB Apple keyboards/mice and some other stuff I can't remember now. 😁 Next I found out that one of my friends got a bunch of PCI video cards that were discarded at his workplace - two S3 Trio64 cards, two Matrox cards and an ATi Rage Pro (if I remember correctly), he was going to salvage the Flash BIOS chips and scrap the cards (!!!) so I offered him a bunch of EEPROM/Flash chips if he let me keep the video cards, which he accepted!

Since I now have some video cards and a sound card I got motivated to repair the 4DPS motherboard. First I removed two 72-pin SIMM slots from a junked Socket 7 board, which I got non-working and with some corrosion on the top left corner. Fortunately for me two of the slots didn't have any rust! I used a heat gun to remove them since the board is junk anyway.

junk_p1_board_s.jpg

I couldn't use the heat gun on the 4DPS if I wanted it to survive the procedure, and the hot air rework station is not powerful enough to do large through-hole components on heat-sucking multi-layer boards, so I had to do it the old-fashioned way, desolder every pin with a soldering iron and a desoldering pump.

desoldando_pines_s.jpg

I believe I spent about an hour doing each slot, if you've tried to desolder through-hole components from a PC motherboard you'll know what I mean. Too little heat and you'll be waiting ages for the solder to melt, too much and you risk delaminating the board or breaking the vias, if you try to rush it you'll ruin the board for sure. Gotta take your time and have lots of patience, you'll need it for those stubborn pins that refuse to come loose. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would, though.

Finally I got the broken SIMM slots off without too much noticeable damage to the motherboard.

586_empty_slots_s.jpg
586_empty_slots_back_s.jpg

Now comes the easy (and actually enjoyable) part, soldering the good slots into place! Here are both pairs of 72-pin SIMM slots before installation:

586_slots_s.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the finished board in case Murphy decided to do its thing, it was already late in the night so I improvised a test rig on my bedroom floor just to see if the board would POST:

test_rig_s.jpg

...and it did! It's alive! 😁

The next day I tried both slots and they passed memtest86 with flying colors so I started building my long-awaited 5x86 box!

586_inside_s.jpg

• Tomato 4DPS VER 2.0 (BIOS 1.6)
  • AMD Am5x86-X5-133ADW @ 133 MHz (33.3 x 4)
  • 24 MB (16+8MB) FPM RAM (largest FPM sticks I had in my RAM stash - unfortunately this board doesn't support EDO)
  • S3 Trio64V+ 2MB (chose that one because I've read here that it's got great DOS compatibility)
  • Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Value
  • 4.1 GB Seagate IDE HDD
  • Generic Baby AT case with 200W PSU
  • LG 52X CD-ROM drive (what I had on hand)
  • Microsoft Windows 95B

This was my last spare AT-style PC case, and they can't be easily found anymore. 🙁
It was filthy of course, but it cleaned up really well with some Cif and a dishwashing sponge!

Later I added a cable to route PC speaker sound to the AWE64's PC_SPK input since I didn't have any PC speaker at hand. Another thing I don't have anymore are Socket 3 heatsinks 🙁, nor do I have Socket 7 or 370 heatsinks with the required three-hole mounting as an alternative. For some reason I had a loose Pentium heatsink (those that came permanently glued to the CPU itself) which I ended up hot-gluing to the chip as a desperate measure, while I try to find a suitable heatsink:

586_cooler_s.jpg

I also had to re-wire two serial port brackets for use with this PC because the COM headers on this board use a 'straight' pinout instead of following the IDC pin numbers.

Obligatory SST 4.78 screenshot:

am586.png

PCPBench score: 8.5 FPS (LFB)

And finally...

586_rig_s.jpg

Had an awesome weekend playing the DOS games of my childhood with a gamepad (which I didn't have back then) and some sweet SB AWE music. 😎

I've gotta thank VOGONS for reviving my interest in retro PC hardware, this is such an awesome community with awesome people behind it. 😉

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1 of 66, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice build! And congrats on getting the retro bug back! 😀

I have one of those 4DPS boards (a rev 1.0 model) and it's a piece of crap. Garbled graphics on 4 out of 5 boots when using a PCI graphics card. Fine with an ISA card, but what's the point?

I guess that either my board is faulty, or they fixed some issues in rev 2.0.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 66, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great story! 😁

And nice case also, I like the 133Mhz display 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 66, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice job with the SIMM slot transplant!
The board was well worth resurrecting, as it has some features only found on very few 486 boards, like the sensible board layout (no blocked PCI/ISA slots), coin cell battery and a PS/2 mouse connector.

Reply 5 of 66, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done stuff similar to the SIMM slot transplant in the past. A real pain in the ass. Nice system.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 66, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get a tube of arctic silver 5 and apply some to the heatsink with a layer thick enough so that over time it becomes hard enough to glue the heatsink to the cpu. It retains it's thermal properties while being strong enough to keep the heatsink on without needing hot glue or even a bracket. Be sure to clean that psu and the fan inside so that it may continue to run well into the future.

Nice case 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 66, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow that motherboard is amazingly compact - the ziff socket hangs over the edge! Nice work on getting it going again, very tidy looking system you have yourself there. I like the window-key-less keyboard.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 66, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

133MHz, congratulations on the great transplantation job! I know myself how hard this is and how frustrating it can be if something goes wrong..

The ZIDA 4DPS is one of my all times favourite Socket 3 boards. It is small, neat and has these nice features like the PS/2 Mouse header.

I own quite a few of these boards (among the UMC based "Tomato-Sized" board):

tomatoes.jpg

I can highly recommend you to update your 1.6 BIOS to Version 4.00A, this version should work with your boards hardware revision (printed between the slots). The 4.00A Version supports 40GB HDD's, (real) Y2K compliance, has full PnP Support and a POST device listing and last but not least prevents the board from "flickering" with some VGA cards.
You can use any 128KB flash rom (maybe picked from a Socket 7 board and hotflashed there using uniflash) in the ZIDA, I've tested SST, Winbond, Amtel and Intel with 100% success.

You can also vastly improve your memory performance up to ~40MB/s throughput ( SpeedSys 4.78 ) by finetuning the advanced BIOS settings.

If you have any question about the 4DPS, just send me a message or ask in this thread.

This board is a pleasure to work with - because it just works!

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 10 of 66, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

speak of the devil, there's one for sale for 30 bucks here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-486-PCI400 … #ht_3076wt_1396

I've bought of this guy before, he's honest.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 66, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

If you have any question about the 4DPS, just send me a message or ask in this thread.

Would that BIOS work on my rev 1.0 board?

Do you think it would fix my problem with scrambled PCI graphics?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 66, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@badmofo:
The board you are linking is actually not a Zida 4DPS board. It is called "PCI400-4" and has a slightly different hardware layout and the PCB is not made by Zidas manufacturer TMF. Maybe the Zida BIOSes run with this board, maybe not. And with "run" I really mean "run". If you flash a wrong BIOS suitable for the same chipset it may run but can still cause trouble, e.g. with the IRQ assignment to the PCI slots.

@SquallStrife:

The 4.00A BIOS is intended to use with 2.1 rev boards only but it also works really good with my older 2.0 rev board. I never had the 1.x rev of the board so i can only guess. Are the multi I/O chips the same as on the 2.0 rev shown in the first post? And i think it also depends on the revision of the SiS496/497 Chipset. There are little, narrow letters printed on them. My 496 has ""NV" printed and my 497 has "NU" printed. Please check your rev. 1 board. if the two letters start with "M" it is the old revision (revision A) of this chipset and the 4.00A BIOS might not work.

Or just flash the 4.00A BIOS and try out 😀

And I don't know exactly what you mean with "scrambled graphics". I had some flicker issues with S3 cards with earlier BIOS versions (1.7x). But they seem to be fixed now. But if your PCI card only works every 5th boot I would think of a kind of contact problem. Maybe you can clean the contacts on the card and also inside the PCI slot.

Would you mind to upload a pic of your Rev. 1 board? I'm quite curious to see one.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 13 of 66, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FGB wrote:

I can highly recommend you to update your 1.6 BIOS to Version 4.00A, this version should work with your boards hardware revision (printed between the slots). The 4.00A Version supports 40GB HDD's, (real) Y2K compliance, has full PnP Support and a POST device listing and last but not least prevents the board from "flickering" with some VGA cards.

You can also vastly improve your memory performance up to ~40MB/s throughput ( SpeedSys 4.78 ) by finetuning the advanced BIOS settings.

Is version 4.00A the same as 1.72f? Could you upload or provide a link to 4.00A?

Could you share your cachechk speed results using an AMD X5-133? Which Advanced BIOS settings are you tweaking?

Even after optimising the BIOS RAM/cache settings, I find the cache and RAM throughputs are about 20% slower than an optimised UMC board, while the L1 cache is about the same. I flashed the BIOS to 1.72f, which has a 1997 release date.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 66, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FGB wrote:

The 4.00A BIOS is intended to use with 2.1 rev boards only but it also works really good with my older 2.0 rev board. I never had the 1.x rev of the board so i can only guess. Are the multi I/O chips the same as on the 2.0 rev shown in the first post? And i think it also depends on the revision of the SiS496/497 Chipset. There are little, narrow letters printed on them. My 496 has ""NV" printed and my 497 has "NU" printed. Please check your rev. 1 board. if the two letters start with "M" it is the old revision (revision A) of this chipset and the 4.00A BIOS might not work.

Could you upload a chipset image which demonstrates the "NV" and "M" printings? After looking at my SiS chipsets, I don't see these. I do see an "m" with a circle around it, as well as a "c" with a circle around it. I am using PCB revsion 2.1 of the 4DPS board.

EDIT: Nevermind, it helps to turn the light on. My chipsets are NR, NT on the PCI400-4 board and OR, OT on the 4DPS 2.1 board.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-06-30, 10:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 66, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:

speak of the devil, there's one for sale for 30 bucks here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-486-PCI400 … #ht_3076wt_1396

I've bought of this guy before, he's honest.

It looks like someone bought this board already. The shipping price was a little too steep for me. There is a high likelihood that someone here bought it after you posted that link, so for whoever bought it, could you send me an image of the BIOS? I happen to have this board already, but would like to see if your BIOS is newer than mine. I can also send you my BIOS image. It is dated 10/7/96.

EDIT: Looking further at the images on the ebay site for this board, it seems that board's BIOS was dated 1/10/96, which is quite a bit older than the one I have.

The BIOS from the TMF PCI400-4 (sometimes referred to by the brand "Taken") does not work reliably in my Zida Tomato 4DPS 2.1 board. The main difference seems to be related to FSB jumpers and how the BIOS interprets the FSB jumpers. If anyone has the official manual for the PCI400-4, please share it.

In comparing both the Taken and Zida boads, I have determined that the Taken board has L2 and memory throughput equivalent to a fast UMC board, whereas the Zida board was lacking about 20% behind. Both Advanced Chipset settings were set equivalently. I am very interested to see if this 4.00A BIOS will clear this up. For whoever has it, please share it.

I have tested the Taken board with a Voodoo3 3000 PCI and it works very well. It also works well with a Matrox Millennium G200. I am in the process of doing a Matrox G200 vs. Voodoo3 3000 show down using an AMD X5-133. The PS/2 mouse port also works fine in Windows 98SE. The correct pin-outs are (1-5), Data, Clock, Gnd, Empty, Vcc.

As far as RAM is concerned, the manual for the 4DPS board mentions this board will only take 64 MB of FPM RAM, however I have found that it will work fine with 128 MB FPM RAM, at least the sticks I have worked. The BIOS lets you set write-through or write-back for L2 cache and set the TAG bit, so you could run your L2 in write-through mode and cache all 128 MB of RAM if you install 512 KB of cache. I have 512 KB of cache installed on my Taken and Zida boards. CTCM7 properly reports all RAM as cacheable when 128 MB is installed and when the cache is set to write-through mode. The ability to cache 128 MB of RAM and the ability to use a Voodoo 3 3000 are the biggest advantages of this board over a good UMC board. The advantage of the Voodoo 3 over a Voodoo 1/2 is that you do not need a consume a second PCI slot for a 2D card.

It is my overall hope that this board will be the SiS equivalent of a UMC-based Biostar MB-8433UUD. After the Voodoo vs. Matrox show down, I'll need to determine if the Cyrix 5x86 is up to snuff on the SiS. The main drawback of the Taken board is that it requires FPM RAM, no EDO. The Biostar board will take FPM and EDO RAM, however the Taken board has a built-in coin cell battery, whereas the Biostar board has a removable RTC module (a small drawback of the Biostar UMC board).

Some initial benchmark tests have revealed that the Taken board is ever so slightly faster for Cachechk's memory speed. The SiS has 42.8 MB/s, whereas the UMC was at 39.7 MB/s. Perhaps the advantage of using EDO in the UMC board will equalise this effect.

Quake 2 at 640x480 in 3dfx OpenGL mode is 8.7 fps with an AMD X5-133. The frame rate will probably be playable with a POD or fast Cyrix. I have not yet experimented with overclocked FSBs on this board.

One other drawback of the Zida or Taken board is that the I could only get the onboard CPU voltage regulator to output 3.35 V and 4.96 V. It doesn't seem to have a 3rd jumper option for 3.6 V. The Biostar UMC board, on the other hand, had a 3rd voltage regulator resistor option. I will likely modify the Zida board's 3.35 V setting to be 3.0 - 4.0 V variable.

Reply 16 of 66, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
133MHz wrote:

Finally I got the broken SIMM slots off without too much noticeable damage to the motherboard.

Your work here reminds me of the work I did to remove 5 DIP cache sockets on a HOT-433 v4 board. I also used a solder sucker pump and a temperature adjustable Weller soldering iron. We removed about the same number of pins (156 x 2 pins for the cache, 144 x 2 pins for your SIMMs). I also soldered on some jumper headers and an RTC socket.
Photos here: Did anyone see this on eBay?

For some reason I gott HIMEM errors, however I didn't test the board before replacing the cache sockets. If anyone here has the HOT-433 v4, could you test it with HIMEM?

Does anyone know the extent to which the cache traces are more than 2-layer? Top and bottom trace layers are easy to test, however if there is a hidden middle trace layer, which there sometimes is, there could be some disconnect. I'm not sure how the copper traces are attached to the tin through-hole cylinder, but I'd hope the melting temperature of that trace adhesive is much higher than the typical soldering temperature (~500 F for 60/40). I don't find a lot of middle layer traces on 486 boards in comparison to top and bottom traces though. At any rate, I will probably add a bit more leaded solder to each solder point. As pointed out, temperature and time of contact is critical.

@133 MHz, could you also test your board with the HIMEM memory test? I found that with my solder work on the HOT-433, Memtest also passed with flying colours, but HIMEM had a fit.

By the way, I really appreciate the matching beige case you have there. I used to have those same speakers with my X5-133 purchased in Jan. 1997.

Looking at your Speedsys results, you have:

L1: 110 MB/s
L2: 41 MB/s
RAM: 28 MB/s

Typical speeds for a fast socket 3 and an AMD X5-133 are:

L1: 117 MB/s
L2: 49 MB/s
RAM: 37 MB/s (UMC) or 38.5 MB/s (SiS)

Could you upload an image of which Advanced Chipset settings you are using?

I am still trying to track down why the Taken PCI400-4 board is so much faster than this Zida 4DPS board. The only other difference between the two boards is that the Taken board uses SMD capacitors, whereas the Zida board uses ceramic through-hole components.

I'd also be interested in having an image of your BIOS for reference and testing purposes. I recall that v1.5 of the BIOS was extremely fussy with which type of FPM memory it would take, whereas v1.72f was more forgiving.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-06-30, 09:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 66, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will beat your scores with Am or Cyrix with ease. I also will send you the 4.00A. Stay tuned.

Reply 18 of 66, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beating those scores shouldn't be very difficult. I am only trying to discover why the 4DPS is lagging in L2 and RAM throughput. For the results you are about to present, please ensure they are from the 4DPS board using an AMD X5-133 at 4x33. If all we need is BIOS 4.00A, I'm excited!

For the all around best STABLE socket 3 Speedsys score, I get these using a Cyrix 5x86-133 (2x66) and a Biostar MB-8433UUD v3.x,

Score: 75.4
L1: 190 MB/s
L2: 73.5 MB/s
RAM: 56.5 MB/s (59 MB/s if using 2x50)

Now if you can beat those in a socket 3, whereby the configuration is stable enough to install Win98SE, I'd be very interested in your test rig.

Note: These are the averaged read, write, move values displayed numerically on the graph. The max of read, for example, is a lot higher than the average.

Reply 19 of 66, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't beat your maximum scores because I have no Cyrix 133. I have just a few 100GPs and Am133 ADWs and ADZs. I have no cache faster than 12ns. I just will show you how fast my 4DPS performs in comparison to the values shown here.

CPU Voltage:

Rev. 2.1x boards all support 3.3, 3.6 and 5 volt for the CPU. To select 3.6 volt, just short JP30 and leave JP27 open.

Chipset revisions:

Please take a look at the big picture:

http://www.amoretro.de/2011/04/zida-4dps-ver- … otherboard.html

Look at the 496 northbridge. In line three there is the month and year of production printed "9641". Smaller, next to it it says: "NV" which stands for the "B" revision of the chipset. On the 497 southbridge it says "NU" next to the "9643" timestamp. That is also a late "B" revision. Your "Ox" markings also indicate late "B" revisions, i think the "Ox" are the last "B" Chips. This revision is able to handle FPM memory but no EDO. There is a "C" revision of the 496 northbridge from 1997, printed "PR" which can handle EDO ram. But we all know the real world speed difference is quite neglectable. There are some really good FPM modules, Samsung made high end 60ns FPM ones with the K4F640411C-TC60 chips. They really rock. I got two in my 4DPS board for bank interleaving.

BIOS:

No, Version 4.00A is not the same as 1.72x.

I think in terms of PCI speed the 4.00A is not the fastest bios. I had higher transferrates (at least shown in SpeedSys 4.78) with bios 1.71 or 1.71 (can't remember). But I think the PCI speed shown in SpeedSys doesn't always show the reality.

For your pleasure I attached the requested 4.00A BIOS right here. I keep my fingers crossed that it works on your board. Please do not forget zu reset your cmos configuration data (alter J6 from 1-2 to 3-4 for a few seconds) after inserting the new ROM. Looks like there are quite a few 4DPS junkies around here, because there are also other people asking for the BIOS 😁

Cheers

Attachments

• Filename
    4DPS400A.BIN.zip
    File size
    83.57 KiB
    Downloads
    537 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by FGB on 2012-06-30, 12:17. Edited 3 times in total.