VOGONS

Dual 1.4ghz Pentium 3

Topic actions

First post, by Schizofrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just acquired a Gigabyte GA-6VTXD from the 'bay for a whole ten bucks. I already had the rest here. The system as it stands is as follows:

Dual 1.4ghz Tualatin
1.5GB SDRAM
GeForce 3 Ti500
100GB Hard Drive
Sound: Right now I am using an SB Live! . I have a TB Santa Cruz and an Audigy 2 ZS. Will probably swap around with some of the games I am playing to see what I like best.

As of now I have Deus Ex, Black & White, and SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division that I am playing around with.

I wish that I had purchased some of the 3Dfx cards a few years back. I remember seeing them go in lots for hardly anything around '02 or '03. Was interested in buying 2 VooDoo 2s for sli, but they are just too expensive these days. I had an Obsidion? VooDoo 2 a few years ago that I threw out, didn't think it was anything special at the time. *ugh*

If anyone has any game suggestions that will best take advantage of the setup, let me know. (I know there weren't many multithreaded games at the time, but the P3, Gf3 combo is what I am looking to push) Also, any opinions on the sound card options I have?

Pics will be posted soon.

Thanks for looking!

Not all people that have beards use Unix, but everyone that uses Unix has a beard.

Reply 1 of 31, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the MX300 is THE soundcard for the era. if not that card, then the first audigy. If you have a A2-zs then just use that. while its a little new to be period correct, it was probably the best pci sound card until the x-fi. And even that is debatable.

The differences between 2000 and xp are negligable. if it will run in 2k it will run in XP. Thats what I found on my retro-gamer. At least the one I play Quake 3 /unreal on.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 31, by Schizofrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a link to a few photos: http://imgur.com/a/ZJ6U2

I will look in to the MX300. Right now I am running the Live! with no issues. Probably will pop the Audigy in later.

I went with Windows XP. Just fired it up, and I am very pleased with the speed of the setup. Deus Ex gave me a little trouble at first, but I got the most recent patch and it corrected some D3D issues the game has.

Not all people that have beards use Unix, but everyone that uses Unix has a beard.

Reply 3 of 31, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

The differences between 2000 and xp are negligable. if it will run in 2k it will run in XP. Thats what I found on my retro-gamer. At least the one I play Quake 3 /unreal on.

This is true until you start installing service packs. SP1 and 2 are fast enough but with SP3 XP is dog slow and will easily gobble RAM and run pretty badly.

Reply 4 of 31, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running SP3 on a ThinkPad with 500mhz PIII and 256mb memory and have no troubles with it. Though it was a slipstreamed install disc I used; it's possible upgrading an SP1 or 2 machine will add bloat.

Reply 5 of 31, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd say stay with the Live! 3Dfx cards ain't all that great either, the passthrough cable needed for V1 and V2 ruins the video quality.
Your best bet would be to find a PCI version of a Voodoo 3,4,5 (last two are very expensive though) and use them for games that will not run otherwise. The GeForce 3 though should run most of the games you'd want to play (excluding Glide of course) and it works much better in DOS with VESA games.
Since you have the processor power you could also use this:
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide
It should allow you to run most Glide games just fine 😁

Reply 6 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, Voodoo3/4/5 are a big quality improvement over Voodoo1-2 because of the move away from the passthrough cable. Voodoo3/4/5 are also top tier VGA and 2D GUI cards.

The Aureal Vortex vs. 2K/XP story is complicated. Aureal never completed quality drivers for NT5. Microsoft actually worked on them after Aureal died. There are beta drivers with some acceleration and A3D support but they are buggy/unstable. XP's stock Vortex drivers have acceleration but it is as stated. There are newer drivers on Windows Update but they remove the unfinished acceleration features. These cards are best used with Win9x but even there I run into bugs and stability issues frequently.

Reply 7 of 31, by Schizofrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I knew nothing about the mx300 previously. I did have a "plain" Aureal Vortex 2 a few years back. It is actually probably still in my closet somewhere. I do recall having some problems with XP drivers. Are there any major differences between the MX300 and a run of the mill sound board with the AU8830 chip?

Also, can you guys list some games that really take advantage of the 3D sound technologies of the time? Like EAX and A3D? I will be testing them out with a nice pair of headphones for the full effect.

Thanks for everyone's input. Going to check out nGlide this evening.

Reply 8 of 31, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unreal based games (like deus ex) Also games based off the half-life engine (counterstrike) supports the 3d sound provided by the mx300. It also supports the microsoft 3d as well. and If my memory is correct, creative diddnt do that until the audigy series.

I remember having an mx300 when counterstrike was TEH SHIT, 3d audio made all the difference in the world back then.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 31, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ΜΧ300 = Vortex 2
However, the Vortex 2 has caused me a ton of problems in the past, I only keep it nowdays to host my DB60XG on a Windows 7 machine (32bit only 🙁 ).
The Live! has never caused me any problems however, it is one of the most compatible cards around!

Reply 10 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Audigy would be undeniably superior to Live in even Win9x if somebody could figure out an easy install for the VXD drivers and control panels. The CD install takes like 20 mins and then you still need to run the program that swaps to the VXD drivers. The WDM drivers aren't great for games because EAX sounds different.

Reply 12 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Schizofrik wrote:

Here is a link to a few photos: http://imgur.com/a/ZJ6U2

I will look in to the MX300. Right now I am running the Live! with no issues. Probably will pop the Audigy in later.

I went with Windows XP. Just fired it up, and I am very pleased with the speed of the setup. Deus Ex gave me a little trouble at first, but I got the most recent patch and it corrected some D3D issues the game has.

That reminds me, I have to get my Abit BP6 and VP6 mounted in cases soon. Doh! 🤣

Reply 13 of 31, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't wait to see this beast! Remember when I first learned there was a 1.4GHz P3, I already had a P4 lulz!

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 14 of 31, by Schizofrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haven't been back here in a while! Here are a few 3DMark2001 runs.

Geforce3 Ti500
Dual 1.4Ghz P3
1.5GB RAM
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Windows XP SP3

This one is just after getting the system all set up:
yQOtKnH.jpg

This one is after setting various things in the BIOS to "High Performance" and also enabling AGP 4x:
y2toOcw.jpg

This one is after the BIOS optimizations and updating the chipset drivers after a bit of searching:
VCVlLtp.jpg

Overall, a gain of ~500 points just in optimizations and drivers. Been hunting around on eBay for a cheap AGP card to replace the Geforce3. I'm not sure, but I think it is the reason the Windows GUI is dog slow. I have it on DVI out at 1920x1080. Back when I had it when new, I had a 19 inch CRT at 1900x1200, and I don't recall being able to visibly see windows being drawn to the screen. This system manages Youtube (barely) and surfing the web isn't too much of a problem at all. Both processors are maxed at 100% with 480p Youtube videos. I am currently posting this from the machine!

I have played several older games on here with no problems. The original Fable manages pretty well with settings tuned down at 800x600, 1024x768 is playable, but has some pretty bad slowdown at parts. Black & White runs very well. Arx Fatalis runs pretty well with slowdown here and there. I just think my Geforce3 is holding me back a bit.

I am going to try and get a few timedemos and other benchmarks together with dual procs and with single to see if there are any gains at all. I believe that if there are any gains to be had, they will be small due to nothing really taking advantage of SMP besides the OS itself.

Reply 15 of 31, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try a Geforce 4 Ti 4600, FX 5900 or Radeon 9700-9800 for a slight improvement in performance. It will vary from game to game though. Not many games back then could utilize dual cpu setups, so basically they will rely on the raw speed of one of the cpus, and to be honest, a P3 1.4ghz will not max out a Geforce 3 in many situations. You still have some untapped power in that card.

Speaking of the MX300, I have one on the way which will be replacing my Turtle Beach Vortex 2.

Reply 17 of 31, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Blue ZIF's and a never soldered-in ISA slot. What happened here?

I don't know about the ISA slot, but Gigabyte used blue CPU sockets for boards that support Tualatin chips. I guess they just wanted to make it easy for people to know if they were supported.
Actually, I think maybe they were also incompatible with Mendocino Celerons. Not sure if that was a "blow up the board" situation or just "incompatible".

Reply 18 of 31, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd suggest a Geforce 6800 Ultra/6800GT/6800GS or Radeon X800PRO(And relevant family cards whatever they are), you should see about 9,600 3Dmarks with no overclocking.

Reply 19 of 31, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Multi-threaded games are a pretty young group, but you'll have the enviable advantage of switching between programs with ease. I remember even WinXP would take a crap on my single-core machines when I had Photoshop, Visual Studio and Office open.

I second getting a 6800GT. A 7800 might be too demanding on the power supply. I believe that the Radeon X1950 is the best DX9 card, but I have no idea what the requirements are. If I had your rig, I would be curious how it ran Win7. In that case, a GeForce 9400 is the newest card I've seen for AGP.