VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When i had build a NEC V20 XT system, that i liked this XT very much. For some games this system is to slow!.. The V20 XT scored about like a 7 MHZ AT computer.. I was also busy with a fast 386DX 40Mhz system This was the first system i began to collecting with..

The story began, when i registerd on vogons! I liked this forum / board very much.. It did me thinking off those times when my dad bought the first computer in 1988! I never had money to buy a system for me self.. In that time i was thinking to build the systems i never could own for my self later on when these systems gettings older. but that idea came never from the floor till now!.

I get addicted when i came here, and look for some parts to build those systems again.. My main target? Is to play games on those old systems, like in those times. I dont like to use emulators.. Because those old system give me the best feelings of those times back again!

Nowdays its very hard to come by on these old hardware..
Only if you live in the US then i could be more easier, because to most older parts are easier to find in the US then in europe!
Only downside is, its could cost a lot of money, but iam beware of that.. But iam very happy when i could find the right parts to use...

The most important hardware i already own.. But iam still looking for the basic stuff..

Next weekend the 19 of august iam going to a big flea market. So iam hopping to find some good old stuff like cases!

More later on..

Here you find my other systems:

NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD: NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD
VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM: VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM
MY ROCKING AMD 386-40MHZ: Rocking AMD 386 DX 40Mhz system build
MY ROCKING AMD 486 - ??? MHZ SYSTEM: MY ROCKING AMD 486 - ??? MHZ SYSTEM VLB
MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM: MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM
MY INTEL PENTIUM III BASED WIN98SE SYSTEM MY INTEL PENTIUM III BASED WIN98SE SYSTEM
ATHLON 64 DUAL BOOT WIN98SE/WINXP SYSTEM: ATHLON 64 DUAL BOOT WIN98SE/WINXP SYSTEM
MY 32-BIT COMPATIBLE OLDER SYSTEM LATER ON

Last edited by Robin4 on 2015-08-29, 19:03. Edited 8 times in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 13, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really Like your Collection Robin4.
I like how you go as far back as the XT and try to cover each periods with your systems.
Im planning to build a 286 this year, provided the board i scavenged works 😀

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 2 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the compliments, but iam still not there. There is much work to do. My main concern is to collect the parts that i need for building those computers.
If there are intressing parts, then its almost impossible to find them cheap.. Shipping for the USA to the netherlands can cost a lot of shipping costs. Iam beware of that. But i dont have other solutions, so i need to cope with that.. That really a fact!
But iam still happy if i can think that i have over time very beautiful systems i have build! There arent that much people that have those systems still running.. Iam very proud of that!

I only can say; its very hard to find very nice looking old AT cases with a less of yellowness , no damaged.
I hope when i go to the flea market next weekend that i find very nice cases!!

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting vintage parts in the us is harder than you think and it is where you live that makes a huge difference. Worse there is a LOT of competition due to gold scrappers so cost is still high. The big cities, old folks, and older companies are usually the best source for good vintage parts. I am pretty happy that I got lucky on an old IBM Aptiva that is a slot A build but that was easy 😀 Anything older than a Pentium 1 is hard no matter where you live especially if it is pre 486 🙁

I do have a double clocked 386 from Cyrix (DLC) with orginal cooler and case badge.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 13, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

Those gold scrappers... :@

Some of the stuff being sold as scrap would make you cry.

I once bought a box of video cards sold as "gold recovery scrap" for 10$

There was 4 fully working 3dfx video cards in the box. One banshee, two voodoo 3 and one voodoo 2.

Reply 8 of 13, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I find totally crazy are these people selling a few CPU's for hundreds of pounds for "gold recovery". Surely with the cost of recovering the gold, the value of even a bucket of CPU's can't really be that much. They are all scammers in my book. Should be a price on their heads, especially the ones selling working components as scrap. Wouldn't it be wonderful to win the lottery and be able to buy up as much old hardware as possible just in the interest of preserving it?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 10 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:

Is the process of extracting the gold expensive?

Not expensive but it can be dangerous. Bathing components in aqua regia is the usual method and aqua regia is highly corrosive and emits fumes. It's not something you want to do without proper safety equipment or in an enclosed space. I'd be surprised if doing this in your home didn't violate the law. The prices that the gold scrappers charge for the parts doesn't leave any room for a profit, either. They are basically charging the full value of the gold and then charging you shipping on top of it so it's not profitable to do in the first place unless gold takes a big jump after you buy the scrap for recycling.

Reply 11 of 13, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive seen an auction where someone was selling a box of various PCB, motherboards and cards for "scrap" .
I looked at the picture and most of the boards were broken into smaller bits. I sent him a message asking him why all the boards were broken ( was just curious ).
He replied: "I smashed them with a hammer so I could fit more in the box"

Reply 12 of 13, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's truly sad about all the gold s'crapping. I recently decided I'd like to get an old 286 (my first PC) but at this rate, I'll probably never find one.

Maybe one day I can print one!

Grats to op!

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 13 of 13, by VictorB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is around 90 euro for 1 kilo of cpu. I shopped by a scrapper in his bails of hardware and took with me 3x awe64, 2x soundblaster pro 2.0, 2x 3com 10mbit nic, 6x 40gb single platter maxtor, voodoo1, matrox g400max, quantum bigfoot, adaptec 2940uw, Some nice psu for 2 euro each.