VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have nothing against a necro if the necromancer has something to add, but when they just make a pointless one line comment and are seemingly unaware that the thread is years old, then I think it's odd!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 21 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

I have nothing against a necro if the necromancer has something to add, but when they just make a pointless one line comment and are seemingly unaware that the thread is years old, then I think it's odd!

You're right. Maybe I went a little overboard here, my apologies.
I had no hostile intent.

And lets admit it, many of us probably made that mistake at some point 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Example of a well-done necro I approved of:
Re: Terminator Future Shock. Issues.

One I was furious about:
Re: Interesting game music page redux

Necro's just to be silly are dumb. 😁

Necro's not done by the OP after many years I also tend to think are dumb. I can't quite describe what sets off an ill reaction but often it is if the most recent reply in the thread is more than three years old, and for no reason.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well - since we are going off-topic.

Frankly I think it's petty to gripe about necro posting.

It is unreasonable to expect that different people will come to the same interest at the exact same time.
More so on a retro site.

I think necro posting is actually beneficial most of the time because it contains everything on a topic in one place.
Spreading the information through multiple threads vice containing it in one is problematic to members -
- makes it harder to find all of the pertinent information.
- is inclined to cause people to repeat the same work (and mistakes).
- solutions to problems get lost.
- it muddies and swells the forum index and search results for people trying to find things.

As a plus it can remind people that have forgotten to come back and finish their story.

I can't think of any way it's harmful.

And for those reasons what irritates me is people that whine about necro posting.
That truly is useless. - And usually hypocrisy when you hear their reasons for whining.
(The post they whine in is doing the same thing they are complaining about.)

The only valid useful reason I can think of to comment on necro posting is to let the necromancer know the people in the conversation might not be around anymore to respond.
And as to pointless comments that don't add anything.
Everyone does that on occasion and I see zero difference between doing it in a necro as opposed to in an active topic.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-22, 14:15. Edited 4 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 24 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
Example of a well-done necro I approved of: Re: Terminator Future Shock. Issues. […]
Show full quote

Example of a well-done necro I approved of:
Re: Terminator Future Shock. Issues.

One I was furious about:
Re: Interesting game music page redux

Necro's just to be silly are dumb. 😁

Necro's not done by the OP after many years I also tend to think are dumb. I can't quite describe what sets off an ill reaction but often it is if the most recent reply in the thread is more than three years old, and for no reason.

Agreed 🤣

And about what PCBONEZ mentions about certain older threads containing valuable information, but not being read anymore because of it's age, I had been contemplating about this a few weeks ago and was busy compiling a list of interesting threads about certain subjects. The list is already useful in it's current state (it's not very long yet though) and sorted into separate categories (Sound cards, Windows, collecting, and so forth). It was/is basically going to be a stub on Vogonswiki linking to the more interesting threads here on Vogons and it was kinda an attempt at solving one of the problems which is kinda a problem for any forum containing lots of threads with interesting knowledge: The problem if finding information you need from within a mountain of threads, spanning many years.

Also gonna remove a couple of the links in my signature and replace it with a link to the newer list as I find it more convenient that way 😜

The list was already kinda done, but I just never got around to uploading it there yet.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!