VOGONS

My retro PowerPC (Beige)

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 90, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of the discs up there are the updates and/or restore cd's for G4's, ibooks and the like.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 81 of 90, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

The custom drivers he "made" probably don't amount to anything more than hacking the device ID in a config file somewhere to use the regular 9200 drivers with the 9250 (since they are essentially the same card anyway). Sorta like how you can fix INF files in Windows to use desktop drivers on 'mobile' graphics chips and other such things.

I imagine if you spent a little while spent poking around with ResEdit in the driver package, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out what the guy did and replicate it.

What has me more curious is the resistor mod. I have no idea what that mod is supposed to do, or what resistors are supposed to be changed in order to do it. Unfortunately the pictures are NLA, and the text description is kinda... nondescript.

I guess this is exactly what I have to do with my Radeon 9200, since it probably has a different ID, which would explain the non-working drivers. I tried contacting the guy who made this driver, but still no reply at all.

Reply 82 of 90, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to searching for old Mac OS disks and you find a copy of 10.5 (black not gray disk) in the heap that no one notice it could be an easy $100-150 value score.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 83 of 90, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've put this project on hold bc I'm getting a free Radeon 7000 card. I know they're cheap, but free is... well, free! I have to wait until I see my friend next... should be sometime early next yr. I'm also getting a Voodoo 2. Wish I kept mine.. it looks identical and would have been cool to do SLI.

I'm also going to get a SCSI adapter, so I can replace the current HDD with a newer one bc I think it's going bad.

Last edited by simbin on 2012-11-11, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 84 of 90, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

I'm also getting a Voodoo 2. Wish I kept mine.. it looks identical and would have been cool to do SLI.

Btw, if you are using the fastVoodoo 4.6 drivers you don't need identical cards to run in SLI. Just incase you come over another card anytime soon 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 85 of 90, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
simbin wrote:

I'm also getting a Voodoo 2. Wish I kept mine.. it looks identical and would have been cool to do SLI.

Btw, if you are using the fastVoodoo 4.6 drivers you don't need identical cards to run in SLI. Just incase you come over another card anytime soon 😀

Good to know... thank you!

Reply 86 of 90, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Though if you are planning on using the Voodoo2 in the PowerMac, I'm pretty sure you'll need identical cards. Seems fastVoodoo is only for Windows.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 87 of 90, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Though if you are planning on using the Voodoo2 in the PowerMac, I'm pretty sure you'll need identical cards. Seems fastVoodoo is only for Windows.

Voodoo2 will be going in my Windoze machine 😀

Reply 89 of 90, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a PowerMac G3 Blue&White running OS 8.6 that I tossed my spare 12MB Voodoo2 into for fun, and it works great. Diablo II runs fine on it; haven't tried anything else with glide yet as it's not the easiest to find software for the old Macs sometimes. The card is actually slightly faulty and has issues with some 2D stuff; luckily in D2 it only makes the main menu text slightly garbled; in game is perfect. When I had it in a PC it made the HUD in Unreal Tournament look wonky but the 3D was fine. So it's still totally usable.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 90 of 90, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting thread 😀

Do you have the manual of the OrangePC 620 Card? I would like to downgrade the Processsor for a Dos-friendly setup.
You probably know that one: http://www.vintagemacworld.com/omweb/orangepcfaqs.html

I have bought a B&W (Yosemite) with G3-350. I am not sure if the OrangePC-Card 620 will work with this machine.
All Apple-PC-Cards will not due to voltage-issues. Perhaps I should go for another (older) PCI-Powermac.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines