VOGONS

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After many years of testing and mainly procrastinating, my Voodoo box is almost finished.
Is the one in my sig, with significant alterations.
Celeron 800, sometimes overclocked @950, 512 Mb SDRAM PC133, 80 Gb Seagate, Voodoo 3 3000, ASUS 50x silent CD-ROM, NEC USB 2.0 with 5 ports, PCI network card and 2 soundcards, 1 PCI (still not decided, Aztech 338 A3D, Philips PSC 703 or my old trusty SB Live) and 1 ISA (Sonata S163, Yamaha OPL 718 SAx with NEC XR385 db).
All I have to do now is juggle the IRQs so the cards do not conflict with each other in Winblows 98SE.
Still looking for wireless USB with Win98 drivers; or maybe an USB to Ethernet adapter. Or I can use my Xircom PE3 which connects to LPT, but is slow.
This way I can eliminate the PCI network card and free an IRQ.

All fitted in the Helios desktop AT case; some years ago I put some pictures of it here. Replaced the AT PS with an ATX, since the mobo has both connectors (AT/ATX).

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1 of 3, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming you will not disable COM or LPT ports, and using a PS/2 mouse, the available IRQs will be 5, 9, 10, and 11.

IRQ 5 for ISA sound card, and the other three for the remaining important cards (VGA, NIC, PCI sound) will be enough. You think that you will need another one for the USB controller, but don't forget that PCI cards can share IRQs. Sometimes problematic with early PCI boards, but mostly works ok.

You can always free up some more by disabling COM and LPT ports (but some early motherboards does not allow you to assign these IRQs to PCI even if you free them).

Maybe you are also aware but, iı's sometimes also required to juggle the PCI cards from one slot to the other to reach an acceptable IRQ distribution.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 3, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am too lazy to take pics :p
Seriously, I do not have a dedicated digicam, and my phones do not have flash and are not reknown for their photo quality. Nokia 6233 and HTC Tattoo. Decent quality outdoors, very bad indoors.
I also have to move the Playstation which stays ontop the PC (I got in the Final Fantasy mood again), remove the empty wine bottles and used corks, and socks, and undearwear, used condoms, etc...

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)