VOGONS

Pentium Restoration Project

Topic actions

First post, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, this topic to present my brand new retro PC build.
I wanted to (re)build an AT class machine again for some time now, and fate threw a donor PC in my path:

- Modded Midi Tower AT Case with a 230W Power Supply
- Pentium 100 CPU SX963 without a CPU cooler
- Soyo SY-5TCS Motherboard
- BIOS: AWARD 08/10/95 - TRITON - 2A59CS2LC-00
- 256KB Cache (8x32KB DIP SRAM + TAG module)
- ODIN OEC12C887A RTC with a failed CMOS battery
- 40 MB (2x16MB, 2x8MB) Fast Page SIMM
- Quantum Fireball ST 3.2GB IDE Hard Disk Drive
- Quantum Fireball EX 3.2GB IDE Hard Disk Drive
- 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- NEC CDR-1600A 12x/16x IDE CDROM Drive
- Soundblaster AWE32 CT3980 ISA
- Symbios Logic SYM20403 SCSI Controller ISA
- Accton UK0022 NE2000 NIC ISA

640-donor.jpg

Now this PC was far from perfect: the condition at purchase was poor with the AT case missing all main buttons and the previous owner drilling holes to replace the missing buttons. Moreover, only a large flip switch for power-on was still present in the system. Also, the CMOS battery was dead (and the motherboard does not have a coin cell style slot) and one of the hard drives proved to be faulty.

640-5tcs.jpg

However, I was lucky enough to track down a replacement AT case (including its power supply), so after assessing that all other components were in OK condition I decided to rebuild and upgrade the donor PC!

I was able to replace the failed ODIN RTC with a Dallas DS12887A+ replacement RTC, and the system keeps time perfectly now.

The BIOS has been upgraded to a version from February 1997, which added support for newer CPUs, and allowed me to boot from the hard drive when I was still waiting for the RTC replacement chip.

I tried to stick to a budget, I really did. But ebay s/h fees and an unexpected customs bill for the memory quickly escalated the cost - but the end result is a nice and fast system (for its day) with these specifications:

- Intel Pentium 200 (16KB Cache, 66MHz FSB)
- Soyo SY-5TCS with 512KB Cache (FX Chipset)
- Mini Tower AT
- Task International TK-920VZ 200W Switching Power Supply
- 128MB (4x32MB) 60ns EDO 72-pin SIMM
- Trident TGUI 9440-1 1MB PCI
- Diamond Monster 3D 3dfx Voodoo1 4MB PCI
- Quantum Fireball EX 5400 RPM 3.2 GB IDE
- NEC CDR-1600A 12x/16x CDROM IDE
- 1.44 MB Floppy
- Soundblaster AWE32 CT3980 ISA
- 3Com Etherlink XL 3C905-TX (10/100 Mbit) PCI
- PS/2 Port (PCI Bracket)

The build now looks like this:

640.jpg

Ports!

640-back.jpg

And a view of the inside:

640-inside.jpg

The system seems very stable and already has survived a 12 hour prime95 torture test.

Now I only need to decide what sofware to throw at it 😀 and whether I want to run it in a 64 or 128MB configuration.

http://homenet.gnu-linux.net/ -- My computer collection, past and present

Reply 2 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very cool, that's quite a stylish little case you have there and I like those NEC CD drives. I have a couple of the 8X version and they work well.

But what's with the trident VGA? I think that setup deserves better!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 24, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-10-24, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks very nice.
I would like to suggest getting a different keyboard adapter. Those rigid 1-piece adapters like you're using have a tendency to either fall out, or get knocked out when they hit up against something. Every time the PS/2 port gets accidentally hotplugged, it's maybe a 5% chance of burning out the port. Besides, the length those things stick out the back is just annoying (to me anyway).
The adapters that have a short stretch of wire in between the 2 connectors, are far better and safer IMO.

If it's only being used for DOS, then might as well leave it at 64MB. But if you're running Windows stuff then 128MB might be of some use, unless there's a caching limit.

Reply 7 of 24, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all. In the mean time I also obtained (for free!) a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick with the serial connector, so another part that suits the era of this machine 😀 I still need to clean and test it though.

@badmofo - indeed, the trident vga card is going to be replaced at some point, once I find a suitable replacement 2D card (which fits the era) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. On the other hand, 1024x768x256 on a 24" has its charm 😉

@shamino - good point, I'll look out for one of those extended adapters!

@memsys - thanks, indeed - the avatar is a representation of the Gibson as featured in "Hackers" - which I thought appropriate for VOGONS 😉

Reply 8 of 24, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But if you're running Windows stuff then 128MB might be of some use, unless there's a caching limit.

There indeed is a 64MB caching limit on the 430FX chipset. So unless you absolutely need more memory, it's best to stick with 64MB.

Reply 9 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like your board already has 256kb pipelined burst cache soldered on (with a COAST module to expand to 512), but then you seem to have plugged an extra 256kb into the async cache sockets. Very weird combination. Does the system actually report 512k installed?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 24, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The system does not have cache soldered on the board, but had 256KB installed in the sockets, I obtained a 512KB COAST module, so I removed the chips and installed the COAST module instead. The system reports 512KB in cachechk 7.

Reply 11 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting.

What are those two rectangular chips next to the DIP sockets? I can't read them from the glare, but they *really* look like pipelined burst cache chips.

*update*

Ah, I see now. Those are Intel 82438FX "data path units".

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 24, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, they are 82438s!

For those interested, the manual can still be found online at motherboards.org

Reply 13 of 24, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A new video card arrived in the mail today so the Trident card has now been replaced with a ELSA Winner 2000 AVI/3D (PCI S3 ViRGE/VX with 4MB VRAM).

The ebay seller was amoretro (german), so Fabian, if you read this, excellent wrapping job 😀

Reply 14 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read it. Great that the card has survived the journey 🤣

I think the card fits your system very well and the ELSA card with it's great 2D quality is a great companion for your Voodoo card.
Btw I really like these old Soyo FX-Boards. They are rock solid and just work. They are also really duarble.

Cheers
Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 15 of 24, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice. I like the case a lot and funny enough, it actually looks proper with that metal IBM logo. You have a Voodoo to accelerate 3D games but for 2D and pseudo-3D, I think that 1mb Trident card might be anemic. Also, Trident cards had a tendency to use crappy DACs. You should replace it with a good Cirrus Logic, S3 (Trio plz; their 3D cards were as bad as their 2D cards were good) or a Matrox Millenium. Another good route would be a PCI Rage LT running with the 2D-only Mach 64 driver.

The sound card is good but I think a better setup would be a card from different vender like Yamaha or Ensoniq with OPL3 and SB16 compatibility combined with a Creative Goldfinch card so you could still enjoy the cool qualities of AWE without the negatives.

Everything else in the computer looks as good as you can get for a 1996 era machine. You have jealousy from me even as-is.

Also, just curious... What OS is this bad boy running? Plz say Win95B.

Reply 16 of 24, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:

Very nice. I like the case a lot and funny enough, it actually looks proper with that metal IBM logo. You have a Voodoo to accelerate 3D games but for 2D and pseudo-3D, I think that 1mb Trident card might be anemic. Also, Trident cards had a tendency to use crappy DACs. You should replace it with a good Cirrus Logic, S3 (Trio plz; their 3D cards were as bad as their 2D cards were good) or a Matrox Millenium. Another good route would be a PCI Rage LT running with the 2D-only Mach 64 driver.

You overread that he already has swapped the Trident with a ViRGE/VX, which is a very fine card. Also, the Trio and ViRGE share the same 2D core, but the ViRGE/VX has a way faster RAMDAC, the 2D quality is brilliant and no one is forced to use the 3D capabilities of the ViRGE.

GXL750 wrote:

The sound card is good but I think a better setup would be a card from different vender like Yamaha or Ensoniq with OPL3 and SB16 compatibility combined with a Creative Goldfinch card so you could still enjoy the cool qualities of AWE without the negatives.

There is no card from Yamaha with OPL3 and SB16 compatibility, neither is there such a card from Ensoniq. The CT3980 he has in his rig actually has an OPL3 built in, this specific model isn't using the CQM method but a real OPL3 circuit inside the CT1747 chip.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 17 of 24, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The system has received another upgrade. After some further testing, both AT Power Supplies in my collection were found to be unreliable. The 200W PSU had a tendency to turn off after 30 seconds when cold booted. The 230W PSU was just unreliable - which after 15 years is understandable.

I've gone ahead with an ATX to AT conversion, and acquired a conversion kit (including a new power switch) through Ebay and a new LC Power LC420H-8 PSU (lc-power.de) through Amazon.

While this power supply is not the best in the world, it is inexpensive, fits the case nicely and should be powerful enough to power the system. However, while Amazon listed it as the older 20pin-style PSU, I received the ATX 1.3 version with only 2 molex, 1 floppy and 4 sata plugs. This suffices in the current configuration though.

Inside:
640-inside2.jpg

Back:
640-back2.jpg

Reply 19 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought I had already posted in this thread. What a nice build and what a nice case!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!