VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This morning (actually yesterday) my gaming router decided that 5 years of demanding service was enough. (D-ling DG-4100) I do feel sorry for it, the thought of the literally countless packets of data it handled...

anyway, as I don't have the cash for a new one, I tethered my phone and downloaded smoothwall to turn one of my computers into a router. I had wanted to do this for quite some time actually. In the back of my mind, I was secretly hoping google would come do Denver with their gigabit internet and I would need some super computer as a router. It would seem that fate has conspired to force my hand.

Now, the 'target' of this project was to be 2 p3 tualatins on an he-sl chipset motherboard. Since I don't have one yet, I decided on the next best thing. My dual slot 2 xeon!

getting it up and running was easy enough. sortof. Something is still not quite right, but if I finger it a little more it should be fine. I shouldn't have to manually tell my router to allow access to the internet right?

anyway here are 3 pictures of the new router:

xCzBYxos.jpg9VeuUEhs.jpgNPw6Mtcs.jpg
and a speedtest result:
2477958383.png

I have NO idea why I put my router into a $100 lian-li case. Especially considering its going to spend its life in a dark basement and I wont be looking at it. That said, its an Asus XG-DLS ( 440GX dual slot 2) With TWO 900mhz Pentium 3 xeon processors (2mb cache each) And if that wasnt enough I dropped in 2gb of ram @ cas2 I was going to put a 10k rpm scsi hard drive in it, but decided against it. It will probably NEVER write to the drive more than once a day so it would just be a noise/heat generator. So instead I slapped a 2gb compact flash card in it. If I ever find a he-sl based dual tualatin, I will probably use it to replace these black monoliths, but I haven't seen a suitable board for a long time.

Side note, I pulled my dual 2800+/voodoo 5 out of this case, I had been using the system as a garage music box/gaming for quite a while. It had gotten a little unstable, and I felt a re-build would help. It turns out the motherboard is going to need a re-capping.

Damn teapo pieces of shit...

*sigh*

edit: It does just fine maxing out my connection downloading 5 different torrents at once: f7mjuefs.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's probably overpowered for the application, you could probably just use 1 CPU, not sure how much power that would save though. The RAM might not be doing much good either, but I don't know if Smoothwall has some way of making use of it.
I have a dual slot-2 HP which uses way more power than I'd like, over 100W idle from what I remember. But it's stuck with P2 based CPUs, which probably take more power than the Coppermine based ones do even at twice the clock speed.

Reply 2 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those Xeons are about 40W TDP each. For a home router with that sort of connection speed, that system is certainly major overkill, both on power, and on power consumption.

IMO the best choice for such a thing, if you're going to use older hardware, would be a single Coppermine Celeron, 600mhz or so. That's still plenty of CPU power, but at ~15W TDP. An i810 motherboard would be a good platform for it, since the integrated video draws less than most dedicated cards, plus there's no SCSI controller and such that you won't need anyway. And the 512MB RAM limit would still allow sufficient memory for such duties. I don't know how well Smoothwall would get along on such hardware, but there are other, lighter systems like pfsense and zeroshell.

Reply 3 of 5, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FWIW, I have a P3 600(maybe 650 I forget) 440bx I use with pfsense. With my kill-a-watt meter, it uses 30W. It used 35W before I replaced the hard disk with a microdrive. Those Xeons do idle hot, so finding a P3 would be a good idea. BTW, pfsense appears to work great for me with only 128mb of RAM.

Edit: of course the best thing to do is to get an Alix. But when you're only saving $25-30W, it will take 3 years for the Alix to pay for itself.

Reply 4 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I know full well it is overkill. And it draws a good amount of power. I could have used my dual slot 1, an intel or840. As for the heat, its in my basement and I tell myself the heat will keep it warmer down there so the furnace doesnt need to work ss hard

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 5, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:

FWIW, I have a P3 600(maybe 650 I forget) 440bx I use with pfsense. With my kill-a-watt meter, it uses 30W. It used 35W before I replaced the hard disk with a microdrive. Those Xeons do idle hot, so finding a P3 would be a good idea. BTW, pfsense appears to work great for me with only 128mb of RAM.

Edit: of course the best thing to do is to get an Alix. But when you're only saving $25-30W, it will take 3 years for the Alix to pay for itself.

They only idle hot if you have bad airflow, otherwise they're not that bad. My 700/1MBs @ 784Mhz idle at 32C, but they have a constant high airflow across the heatsinks and right out the back of the case.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z