VOGONS

First post, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys been lurking around here for a while and finally feel i have something worth bothering you all with 😁 . My goal is to build a rig from around 1999 as its when i was first getting big into computers but could not afford any thing that nice . Trying to stick with parts from 99/2000 on a pretty tight budget(I may build something nicer later) . I bought a lot of parts on ebay from a striped gateway p3 600 system for $8 and shipping . A new antec exhaust fan , and a 300 watt allied ATX power supply with mains switch on the back for $5 and shipping off ebay . The case i had it was given to me some time ago brand unknown but its very solid . plus some other parts that I had laying around .

I'm still waiting on the power supply but i set it up and tested it with my test power supply . Specs are pIII 600mhz ,384mb pc100 ram , 64mb S3 agp video card , Ensoniq ES1370 PCI Sound Card ,3com 10/100 nic that i had laying around ,Plextor PlexWriter cdrw, and a ide zip 100 drive . I'd like to find an appropriate hard drive and a copy of windows 98 , right now it has an 80gig drive and windows 2000 for testing .

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_20130129_050432.jpg
    File size
    462.34 KiB
    Downloads
    119 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    IMG_20130129_005504.jpg
    File size
    521.02 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome!
a typical 1999/2000 setup IMHO, well done 😀 that s3 vga will surely bring back the old-times performance let down 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you 😀 . yeah not to sure about that video card (it seem kinda crappy), I have a 16mb Matrox g450 that i may use until i can afford an SLI voodoo2 setup then just use it for 2d . or something else , not to sure 🤣

Reply 3 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very neat and tidy, I like those chunky slot 1 heatsinks. The Matrox sounds like the way to go for now - you're not interested in having a Geforce card in there with the voodoos (when you get them) for the best of both worlds?

Any chance we could have a pic of the front of the case too?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the size of that heatsink, I'm guessing that's a Katmai 600MHz (2.0V).
If you have any interest in going to a Coppermine later, it's possible that board might support them. You'd need to check the part number on the voltage regulator chip. From the photo it looks like it's probably the chip near the bottom of the CPU slot, between the CPU and the peripheral ports, about 20pins or so.
If you're interested, post that part number and I (or somebody) might be able to find a datasheet for it.
The other part of the equation would be BIOS support, which might require an update.

Reply 5 of 8, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The motherboard is an intel ws440bx oem for gateway .Not sure about the video card(s) right now I'll have to see what i can find/afford 🤣 . I have never had an sli setup so im leaning that way with my matrox in the agp slot for 2D , unless something more interesting comes along .

P3 rig on the left , i got that Packard bell legend for $5 of Craigslist , been using it to play doom , fallout and dagger fall .Win95, p100 32 mb ram , realtec nic that i had ,the hdd was bad but the seller included a 1gb western digital hdd that works well .

EDIT: i looked on the cpu for the info . 600E,256,100,1.65V .

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_20130205_063314.jpg
    File size
    315.95 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 8, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a packard bell case just like that with a P200 inside, case is yellowed. I have yet to use it, it is on the back burner but I know it works as it boots into win 98. I need to give it a good cleaning.

Reply 7 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matte20 wrote:

EDIT: i looked on the cpu for the info . 600E,256,100,1.65V .

Ah, good, it's a coppermine already then. So you'd be good for faster CPUs if you ever care to use them.
That's a beefy heatsink for a coppermine, it looks the same as the ones I've seen on 2.0V Deschutes and Katmais.
The heatsink itself is passive, but I'm guessing it originally had an exhaust fan ducted against it. Lots of branded slot-1 machines were cooled that way while using that style of heatsink.
Although a duct would be ideal, you can probably do without it. A 600MHz Coppermine is so low power/heat that it might not need anything beyond that heatsink.

Reply 8 of 8, by matte20

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lots of branded slot-1 machines were cooled that way while using that style of heatsink.
Although a duct would be ideal, you can probably do without it. A 600MHz Coppermine is so low power/heat that it might not need anything beyond that heatsink.

Yeah its a gateway motherboard . I am fairly sure it was meant to have a duct . I have a decent intake fan and a nice antec exhaust fan , during windows 2000 install the heat-sink didn't even feel warm to the touch . So far so good 😀 .

My power supply came in Tuesday ,I got it all together and running . Just waiting on my linksys network switch so i can start transferring files easier .

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_20130205_182103.jpg
    File size
    366.11 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license