VOGONS

Should I keep my Presario 2256?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by AceJoel96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have listed the 2256 on every site listed by PeterLI. I had one response on freecycle expressing interest, but I'd like to wait a few weeks on the last three sites rather than give it to someone who might not know proper use of an older system. It has been on vintage-computing for over a month and a half without any responses. Gog recently put up a sale for several Star Wars games, which means I can sell some of my legacy CD's as well.

The Long, Long History of TIE Fighter...Coming Soon!

Reply 22 of 27, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AceJoel96 wrote:

I have no interest in the hardware involved in retro gaming, just in what it can do. I'm working backwards from what I need to play a game in its purest form but with the most headroom in performance. The thread on The Natural Evolution of a Retrogamer mentions that the final stage in the evolution is using DOSBox; if it can be done with free software at the exact same level of quality as the hardware, or better in some cases, then I would rather do it that way. I can't really change CPU cycles, frame skipping, audio frequency (e.g. from 44.1k to 48k), or resolution in physical hardware the way I can with emulation. There's also mods that have been done with Win9x and DOS games that require a lot of hard drive space and performance from the hardware (like Quake), and that provide bug fixes and other graphical improvements to the game. I'm still in stage 1 of the evolution, where I want to be able to play every MS-DOS and Win9x game ever (I really only have about two dozen DOS titles if I don't stop to think about their names). I'm different in that I want the best performance of any generation.(...)

Howdy fellow vogoneers? Just to point out that when I wrote that post my sole intention was to provide a jump start on thinking about what we're all doing by having this hobby. There are no rules, there is no "final stage" 😀 There is no path but the one you build by walking. Cheers!

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 23 of 27, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Never give Goodwill retro gear like this as it usually gets destroyed for scrap metal and it is very rare to find anyone who knows anything about computers in general at an advanced level. Give it or try to sell it on Craigslist, if all else load it full of 9X games then someone will want it. Laptops from the same time aren't cheap and so oem desktops like this will eventually be desirable.

Never throw away retro gear or donate retro systems to Goodwill, I know how they do things. Whole pallets of systems like this go to the scrapper and most of the time no one checks over anything for rares.

I work at goodwill and I can tell this is not entirely true. Anything that gets donated in my district tech wise gets sent to me, if it’s worth anything it gets put back in use or sent to retail.
If it's broken or worthless then is gets sent to reconnect, salvage and then scraped.
About once a month I get sent a pallet of tech goody’s to go though. Mostly tablets, laptops and a few old desktops. Monitors are tested on site and sent to retail after the retail district manager clears it, unless it's something special then I get it. And the district manager knows whats he's looking at tech wise, it would not even surprise me if his hand is in the pot.

Reply 24 of 27, by AceJoel96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No one has responded to my listings on any of those four sites. Goodwill is starting to look like the best option.
I'm going to sell Rogue Squadron (PC), Tie Fighter Collector's Edition (the CD-ROM MS-DOS version), X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter (that's the one with the newer version of Tie Fighter and X-Wing), X-Wing Alliance (the first CD is broken, and it doesn't include the registry key), and Wing Commander II (most of these are bare CDs; I'm keeping the inserts and booklets from WCII--they're awesome); I bought all of those on sale from GoG. There's a few other ones I'm going to sell that aren't as old, and don't come with registry keys since they were lost long ago (there's ways around it though): Sega Smash Pack 2 (Steam has the first three Shining Force games on sale as of the time of this post, and I bought the entire Sonic Hits Collection on sale from Humble Bundle), Sonic 3D Blast, and Sonic & Knuckles Collection. There's probably some other ones, but they're in jewel cases and not a CD holder, and I don't feel like going through them right now. It's probably going to be another month or longer before I get around to listing them on eBay; I might post a separate thread when I'm ready.

Reply 27 of 27, by AceJoel96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The deed is done. I tried taking it to one Goodwil, but their policy was to reject computers. I went to a different Goodwill the day after and they accepted it. The games listed above are on eBay now (my user name is kak4815).