VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought to show for the first time my rig.Unfortunately,those are the only pics I have in my PC.I used a webcam for the insides and print screen for the second.Here are the specs:
Motherboard:ASUS P2L97 Rev 2.04
BIOS:Beta 1010.004
CD-ROM:ASUS,unknown model
Memory:320MB,PC133,PC100 and a weird model,PC133U
Video Card:ATI Rage IIC without +DVD (I'm assuming it can run a .AVI file,right?)
Network Card:Realtek 8139,it's running IE5 fine.
Audio Card:SB16 Value,CT2770
Processor:Pentium II 233 MHz
Power supply:Delux,Model: ATX-400W P4
HDD:Seagate,unknown model (I don't know what model the CD-ROM and the HDD are)
System:Windows 98 Second Edition

Attachments

• Filename
    Pentium 2 innards.PNG
    File size
    877.03 KiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    P2L97.PNG
    File size
    130.07 KiB
    Downloads
    87 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Rage II on a 233MHz (66mhz fsb) isn't exactly a "dash"

Last year I had the chance of getting a Gigabyte dual 440LX in box. Don't regret too much skipping on it. 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is all I could afford,and by the way,probably upgrade it to a BX.BTW this processor is the only I have,might get though a Pentium 2 350MHz and house a Pentium 3 550 in it (they're the same at casing,except the 350 is easier to mount and unmount)

Reply 4 of 7, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Meh nuthin wrong with the board you got if you dont plan to play anything from like 2000 on up. Stick with most of the build, but up the cpu to a Celeron 433 and stick either a Voodoo 2 in it or buy a Voodoo 3 and you will be set.

Reply 5 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

Meh nuthin wrong with the board you got if you dont plan to play anything from like 2000 on up. Stick with most of the build, but up the cpu to a Celeron 433 and stick either a Voodoo 2 in it or buy a Voodoo 3 and you will be set.

Sadly here in Romania there aren't any Celeron PPGAs (i.e 433 onwards to the last PPGA one).Just FCPGA onwards.And slotkets aren't even existing here in Romania.I just installed a full version of Windows XP MCE 2005 with SP3 and:
1.The setup runs like a snail at the last part (Registering Components onwards)
2.The system works fine but slow due to the remaining space being 92.5 MB 🤣
so my only choice is to install a small version of an Portuguese XP SP2 on it,since it works even on the slowest Pentium 1! (for example 60MHz)

Reply 6 of 7, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wait, why would you want XP on it, just use it for 95 or 98, and also, you can get lower end slot 1 Celerons and over clock them. They were fairly tolerant to high overclocking.

Reply 7 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

Wait, why would you want XP on it, just use it for 95 or 98, and also, you can get lower end slot 1 Celerons and over clock them. They were fairly tolerant to high overclocking.

Well,I plan this PC for some use,and my keyboard has the Space key missing.I use keytweak for swapping Space to work from LCTRL and under Windows 9x i can't use it.Sadly I have no money now,so I can't upgrade the keyboard right now.Also,this Keyboard is more comfortable.I might plan on upgrading to an ASUS A7V next Sunday (that's when I can get motherboards at fair prices)with 128MB DDR1.Might be small amount,but I guess for XP it should be good.I have also a lite XP SP2 disk (sadly it's PT-BR but I'm used to XP so no problem)which I will use on it.It consumes less space.

UPDATE:I found out the motherboard is an A7N8X-X.I have a PCI card to go along with it,a 128MB DDR266 memory stick which is going to be replaced by a DDR400 one (256MB)
I have a old but cool case to go with it,and I'll put my white ASUS CRW-5224 in it.