VOGONS

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an old IBM ThinkPad 600E as a X-mas gift.
P II 366, 128 Mb RAM, 6 Gb HDD; had some minor problems, like I received it without a charger and CD-ROM and had a bad BIOS battery.
I ordered charger, CD-ROM, BIOS battery and 512 Mb (2x256 low density) SDRAM for it, also a SD-ATA44 adapter.
I thought I order a 16 Gb card, but I am undecided yet, I might get a 32 Gb one. More than enough for the DOS games I want to put on it, also for a lightweight Linux.
Now it has 544 Mb of RAM (32 onboard+2x256 SODIMM), and the old 6 Gb Hitachi HDD is both slow and noisy.
Video is Neomagic MagicMedia256AV with 2.5 Mb, and sound a weird combination of PCI Crystal Soundfusion 4610 which uses an ISA Crystal 4239 as codec. DOS SB compatibility is made by 4239. Not my choice of an ideal DOS soundchip, but beggars can't be choosers. In Windows 98SE the 4610 has nice sound, even good MIDI. Since I installed S-YXG50 I could make a direct comparision between it and Soundfusion MIDI. Not bad at all; of course, not as good as S-YXG50, but not far behind.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 7, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big Thinkpad fan here too. Had a 240 which eventually died and now an X24 which has been going strong for 10 years now. It's our free-for-all living room laptop and gets shoved under the sofa when not in use.

The old Travelstar hard drives do get very noisy. A fluid bearing Travelstar (40GN onwards) would be a very cheap and easy upgrade.

Also, the Trackpoint is awesome, way faster than a touchpad once you get used to it.

Reply 3 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The trackpoint is one of a Thinkpad's best features. I hate touchpads. 😀

There was a P2 Thinkpad I worked a couple hours on at an old job one time. I don't know what model it was, but I remember noticing it had a way better keyboard than my newer A20m. It was pretty amazing.

Reply 4 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the trackpoint myself. First time I saw one back in '96, on a HP DX4/75 laptop, and it was love at first sight.
If I were to get a new laptop, I would make certain it has trackpoint. Once you get used to it you never want to go back to touchpads.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 5 of 7, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinkpads are great.

I've got a nice Thinkpad600 (the predecessor of the 600E) as a retro laptop myself. Got it set up with 2x128MB RAM and I'm thinking of getting a new battery for it, unfortunately they're quite expensive and I won't really be using it as a mobile system.

One thing I haven't been able to do is install a CF card...never got it booting with one and I haven't got the slightest clue why.

I downgraded my 600 on purpose. The 600 uses MMC1 CPU cards and was usually built with a PII 266 or 300. Up to 400MHz is possible and mine came with a PII 300, which I replaced with a PII 233, so I had a small platform to do some comparison benchmarks with my main P55C retro system.

The keyboard of the 600 series is just insanely awesome. I've been a Thinkpad user for years now and even the highly praised T4X series keyboard (I'm using a T43 myself) doesn't feel as sturdy and precise as the one of the 600.

::42::

Reply 6 of 7, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bucket wrote:

Awesome! I'm negotiating for a 390X. I hope I get it.
Thinkpads are pretty damned great. They would be flawless computing machines if they didn't have those fucking eraser nub pointers.

Trackpoints are the next best thing to a mouse, seriously.
Once you get past the learning curve, you can get to the point of doing precision graphics work with them even.
I was able to play bejeweled timed mode easily with my trackpoint.
Touchpad? Forget it. Inaccurate. Slow. Absolutely useless, etc. Not to mention, it gets in the way of typing causing the cursor to be bumped around. Amazingly, the trackpoint doesn't interfere with typing.

Reply 7 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a 32 Gb SD card for the 600e and a 4 Gb for the Amiga 1200. Did not inserted them in the computers yet, only tested on my main.
Weird thing, though... The internal card reader did not work well with some 8 Gb SDHC cards, but now is ok with 4 Gb and 32 Gb SDHC? Maybe it did not like only 8 Gb cards...