VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sorry couldnt help it...

anyways this was given to me from a guy after I bought a few DOS computers off him. He said he was getting out of collecting old computers and gave me a few things this being one.

WANG 750CD
25mhz 386 w/ cryix 387 fastmath coproccessor
15MB of RAM
Sound Blaster Pro 2.0
3com network card
Tseng Labs ET4000AX video card 1MB RAM

1004816b.jpg

wang2.jpg

1004815a.jpg

1004814w.jpg

Its a nice compact unit with built in I/O ports and PS/2 connectors for mouse/keyboard. The slower 386 doesnt bother me since I have quite a few 486 machines so something middle of the road 386 wise works for me. The only thing I really don't like is the lack of space for a 1.2MB floppy drive. I think the CD drive is more useful but theres just something iconic i guess about a 5 1/4 drive in an old PC of this era plus I have alot of 5 1/4 disks so it would of been convienent for me.

Last edited by soviet conscript on 2013-02-28, 21:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was suprised as well, it does have two PS/2 ports though which is really nice as well as two seriel ports and a parallel built into the board. also has built in VGA with a Western Digital Paradise WD90C11 chip but I disabled that and went with the ET4000 though the WDP is a decent chip.

right now I have DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1 running.

If the no 5 1/4 drive thing ends up bothering me enough I may throw in a SCSI card and go with a nice vintage looking external CD drive and throw a 5 1/4 floppy in the open bay.

Reply 3 of 13, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow that's a great little machine. The 386 I built has pretty much the exact same configuration: 386DX-25, Cyrix 387 Fasmath, 8MB RAM, Sound Blaster Pro 2.0, 1MB Tseng ET4000.

I would almost suggest going ahead and swapping the CD drive for a 5.25" floppy drive; since it has a network card and you're putting Win 3.1 on it, you could probably get it on the network fairly easily to make it easy to transfer files to it. Guess it depends if you plan on running an CD-ROM games on it.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 5 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have a nice wang.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Ps/2 on a 386? Didn't know that was possible!

I have an Amstrad 286 with PS/2 ports.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 13, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
ratfink wrote:

I have an Amstrad 286 with PS/2 ports.

😁 I forget ibm brought the ps/2 out so long ago - I see their low end ps/2's models 25 and 30 had 8086s.

Reply 10 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

The duel ps/2 ports arnt to common and I can't find any boards that arnt OEM that that have 2. That being said I can't wait to get home and play with my Wang!

The thing is, they were not compatible with common AT cases (DIN-5 hole only) 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Beautiful condition inside, and nice to get all those cards in the unit.

What OS are you going to have on it?

The PS/2 model 25 (which is an 8086) has PS/2 ports.

All of the personal system/2s had PS/2 ports, and they ranged with many different processors, including 386es. The clone PCs later used them as well, such as the WANG.

EDIT: you beat me to it. Heh.
But yeah, the model 25 is also unique being an all-in-one 8086, among other things.

Reply 13 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raymangold22 wrote:

The PS/2 model 25 (which is an 8086) has PS/2 ports.

Being an 8086, were they AT or XT protocol?

I know Tandy 1000's like the RL use a PS/2 plug with the XT protocol. Thankfully the adaptor has the same pin mapping, so you can use a toggle-able keyboard without any trouble.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread