VOGONS

K6-2+ 550Mhz RetroPC

Topic actions

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my first retropc build,i opted for the super socket 7 platform for 2 reasons:
-i needed a motherboard that supports an Amd K5-100Mhz processor,left over from my first pc.
-nostalgia,back in 98-99 i wanted a pc with a k6-2 proc and a 3D videocard,since my k5 was obsolete,but never got 1.
I use it for windows games from the 96-99 period.

Mainboard is a Jetway-model 542C with the Ali Aladdin 5 chipset,using a patched bios from http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
to enable write allocation on the processor

placabaza.jpg

Proc:Amd k6-2+ at 533 mhz,overclocked to 550mhz and 256mb sdram pc100

p2kz.jpg

Videocard:3dfx Voodoo 3 2000,overclocked at 166 mhz,with the cooler from my old K5 mounted.

voodoo32000.jpg

Soundcard:Creative Soundblaster Awe64-value model

soundblasterawe64.jpg

Inside of the pc.with everything mounted

interiorcarcasa.jpg

Front view,i managed to get a brand new AT case,it has a 250w JNC
powersupply

unitatecentrala.jpg

Back view

img0820nt.jpg

Complete

55392372.jpg

Rest of the components are:
-20g Quantum Fireball hard drive 5400 rpm 2mb cache
-asus 52X cd-rom drive.
-teac floppy drive
-10/100Mbs pci network adapter
-Hansol H 550 15 inch lcd monitor with inbuilt speakers,will replace it with a CRT Monitor.
-BTC brand-keyboard
-Genius brand- ps2 optical mouse

Last edited by Nahkri on 2013-07-21, 19:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice build! It looks brand new, except for the backplate thingy missing near the expansion slot bracket thingies at the back of the AT case. Never seen such an AT case before. The purple looks nice 😁
Have you ever considered putting a + or K6-III in there?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the backplate,i just didn't notice it,s missing from the picture,i'll have to change the picture.
I wasn't very happy about the purple parts when i bought the case either,but it was brand new and costed about 6 euros,so i bought it,maybe in the future i'll paint those parts.
Yeah i,ll stick a k6-3 or a k6-3+ in it,if i manage to get 1,all the parts i bought from my country and i avoided ebay to keep the costs low,initially i had a k6-2 at 300mhz overclocked at 350,but then i managed to find this k6-2+ very cheap,was about 3 euros.

Reply 5 of 34, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice setup! If anybody asks you why the case is pink, answer "She's a girl" 😀

I've never seen such monitor, keyboard and case. The whole setup looks like paralell dimension to me, at least the exterior 😁

By the way, if you don't like the case and don't manage to paint it properly (as far as I know, the process is not easy), you can always go for ATX.

Reply 6 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was only thinking about spray painting the purple plastic parts,not the entire case,but it's not an urgent matter.

The monitor is an older 15 inch lcd,with a TN panel,25 ms response time and inbuild speakers,it's not bad,altough it has a slow panel,i don't see a lot of ghosting in faster fps games and the inbuild speakers are not great but do their job.I had it laying around the house and i used it for this pc.
The only problem and main reason i will change it with a crt monitor,is that it doesn't get along with older videocards,at some resolution/refresh rate combinations i get an anoying flickering.When i used it on socket A system with videocards like nivida gf4-mx440,ati radeon 9600 pro,i didn't have this kind of problems.

img0777su.jpg

As for the keyboard,initially i was looking to buy an adapter from ps2 to the older AT keyboard conector,managed to find some but shipping was more expensive then the adapter,so while searching for an adapter in computer shops from my town i stumbled on this keyboard,it was brand new in the box and very cheap at 2 euros.
From its looks and the posibility to split it in half,i say this is 1 of those ergonomic mainly used for a lot of typing kind of keyboards.

img0775lh.jpg

Reply 8 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think its danish,every key has english writings on it,it's made by this company http://www.btc.com.tw/english/index.htm ,i remeber seeing back in the 90's pc peripherals from this brand,i personally had a soundcard from them Model name was 1815,with an OPTI 925 sound chip,btw if anyone needs OPTI sound chip drivers u can find some on the site,they still available for download http://www.btc.com.tw/english/3-1-13driver_download.htm

Reply 9 of 34, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nahkri wrote:

I don't think its danish

Danish keyboards have english writings on them as well, but what tells it apart is that it has the Ø Æ Å keys (Æ and Ø is switched on Norwegian keyboards, so it has to be a Danish one)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11 of 34, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweet look box. Nice period correct choice of parts too, and personally, I wouldn't mind the purple parts on the case. If I'd paint something like that, I would paint them red or something, but probably not. To me it looks good as it is.

Reply 12 of 34, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very good rig ya got. Did you have to cut the bay slot in front of the CPU HSF? Gotta love the non-standard location of items on old S7 mobo's.

I think I have a similar Jetway mobo. I accidentally overclocked a Pentium 166MMX to 250MHz and to my surprise the thing ran better than a K6-2 450 with games.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 13 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes i had to cut the bay couse the proc cooler didn't fit,the radiator is very tall,tbh i think it's a bit oversized for this platform,i had socket A coolers that weren't so big,also the case it's a little short from front to back,i have an older AT case it's longer,in that case the hard drive bay didn't touch de cooler,but that case it's not in a very good condition.

As for the Jetway mainboard,i was a bit worried about the Jetway-Ali combination,i remeber not hearing a lot of good things about the Jetway mbs,but to my surprise i didn't have many problems with it so far,the only problem is that i couldn't make it work with a pci-usb card,i tried every pci slot,but with the card plugged in the pc won't start.
Also was surprised about the fact that they still exist,considering that other more notorius brands like Abit or Epox r gone,jetway still has a website,u can download drivers,manuals etc.,plus they have a good FAQ section,where i find out things like setting voltage for the K6-2+ procesor to 2.1 in order for the pc to start,or underclocking the procesor to 300 mhz or lower in order to be able to install win 95

Reply 14 of 34, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only viewed this thread to make sure you didn't use a motherboard with a VIA chipset. The VIA chipsets for K6-2 were terrible, an deserve to be lost to the depths of time. Congratulations on a good build!

I'm surprised you went with an ISA sound card. Any issues with Windows games?

Reply 15 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx,well as i said in my first post 1 of the reasons for this build is nostalgia,i remeber back then was stuck with a cheap pnp soundcard and reading in magazines about the AWE 64,so i managed to find 1 very cheap so i got it.
Plus i try to stay close to what components were available in that period,not trying to use the newest components that this platform can handle.
I haven't had any issues so far with windows games,had a problem with some dos games,but i installed both dos and windows drivers so no problem there either.

Reply 16 of 34, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congratulations on the PC!
Can you show us the keyboard split apart? Never seen one of those, and brand new! It is meant to avoid ulnar deviation and you can expecto to pay several tens of euros for a keyboard with that function!
I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, but they realy screw the directional arrows up, wich is literaly a pain for gaming.

I consider that keyboard to be a catch! Even if from BTC, 🤣. Good gaming!

Microsoft Natural Keyboard - tiny directional arrows version.
Microsoft-Natural-Keyboard-Elite.jpg

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 17 of 34, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congratulations on the PC!
Never seen one of those, and brand new! It is meant to avoid ulnar deviation and you can expecto to pay several tens of euros for a keyboard with that function!
Here it is split apart:
BTC-8120-AB1S.jpg

I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, but they realy screw the directional arrows up, wich is literaly a pain for gaming.

I consider that keyboard to be a catch! Even if from BTC, 🤣. Good gaming!

Microsoft Natural Keyboard - tiny directional arrows version.
Microsoft-Natural-Keyboard-Elite.jpg

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 18 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Small update

Since i got another build to use for dos gaming,i replaced the soundcard with a pci,Turtle Beach Montego A3D Xtreme,the AWE 64 value is now used on the socket 7 build,yeah i know it's not the second version of the Vortex chip,but it will have to do,for now.
Only small complaint is,that it's quieter then the AWE 64,i need to turn the volume up on the speakers.

j7hi.jpg

krwh.jpg

I also got a 3Dfx Voodoo 4 4500 agp,and i wonder how it is compared strictly with the voodoo 3 2000 i got installed ?
Is it a better performer?
Hows the Glide compatibility with older games?
I run the Voodoo 3 at 166 mhz so at same speed as the voodoo 4,but i,m sure i can oc the voodoo 4 too.

Reply 19 of 34, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another small update:
I replaced the voodoo 3 2000 agp with a voodoo 4 4500 agp with 32 mb of ram.
I also replaced the hardrive with a Maxtor Fireball Plus 8, 40G, 7200rpm ,2mb cache
Replaced windows95 with windows 98SE,in order to have functional usb ,since no matter what i tried,usb just would't work on windows 95 with the ali chipset(usb works fine in windows 95,on the tx board i have in my other build)

g990.jpg