VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

win951.jpg

found the AT case and power suplly brand new at a local thrift for $12. took the MMX and windows 95 stickers off an old HP that was completly dead.

win952.jpg

motherboard: GMB-P58 VPS
CPU: Pentium 1 233mhz MMX
RAM: 384MB SDRAM (I, know, way more then I need)

win953.JPG

Virge/GX
Rightous Orchard Voodoo 1
Creative DRX2 DVD card
AWE64 Gold
AHA-2940W SCSI card and a 7200rpm 9.1GB SCSI hard drive

so far its been a very speedy system. Still cant get the USB functioning but its not to useful under win 95 anyways.

Reply 1 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see you still need one more harddrive or a 3 1/4" tapedrive to fill every slot possible... 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

What are you going to play on that computer? Links? 😀

It was more of just building it for the sake of building it, just like my Win 3.1 rig. Extreme Assault plays pretty well on it.

Reply 6 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pilotgeek wrote:

That is some messy wiring. Stupid ribbon cables.

I agree, i've never been good at wiring but with this small of a case and that many wires theres not a whole lot that can be done.

on the subject of filling every bay. I used to see enough Zip drives to float a battleship and now that I want one I cant find one (at a reasonable price)

I have to say thoughits a pretty speedy build for Win95.

Reply 7 of 16, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice build, good to see a PS/2 port and USB with an AT motherboard.

What's do you think's wrong with the USB? Checked the pinout of the header matches the motherboard?

Be careful here as I have killed a M/B in the past with a wrongly wired USB header (common grounds caused a short circuit with +5v...)

As you say though, Win98 will be needed for support anyway. I think there are DOS USB drivers for USB sticks, but they'll be memory-hungry.

Reply 8 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:
Nice build, good to see a PS/2 port and USB with an AT motherboard. […]
Show full quote

Nice build, good to see a PS/2 port and USB with an AT motherboard.

What's do you think's wrong with the USB? Checked the pinout of the header matches the motherboard?

Be careful here as I have killed a M/B in the past with a wrongly wired USB header (common grounds caused a short circuit with +5v...)

As you say though, Win98 will be needed for support anyway. I think there are DOS USB drivers for USB sticks, but they'll be memory-hungry.

I really like the MB but I cant find a manual anywhere for it. apperently it has an OEM version by a company called DTK and everything I can find on this motherboard says that one is identical but the manual to that mb (i cant recall the number) also has no manual avaliable. all the links I can find for it take me to a german language website but even translated the page has nothing to do with motherboards. i'm guessing the origional company was bought and the name is being used....i don't know but I cant find a manual for this thing anywhere to find the USB pinout. The usb does show up under system devices under conflicys as a "?" and says something like usb hub or root or something but even after enabling the usb drivers its the same.

Reply 9 of 16, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GE … ml#.UYgXEso51xk

^Manual, but doesn't show a pinout of USB header. I have a zip file of BIOS files. Also may have a CD but would have to dig around for it.

EDIT: Found the CD Version 112. Got it imaged and compressed to 33.9MB. Dunno how to get it to you though. Don't know how strict the Vogons Repository is.

EDIT 2: Here is a magnet link torrent for the file. I'll try to keep it up for about a week.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:B3CB0D8CA26748F96E807FE0496F108A398D9C48&dn=GMBP58VPS.7z&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce 

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 11 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Do you even have enough IRQs and stuff for all that gear? 😳

seems to all work fine with the exception of USB. I just got a 100mb Zip drive i'm planning to add as well but unfortunitly I'm out of power supply connections so now I need to wait for a molex splitter cable to arrive.

I also tried cleaning it up a little but theres just nothing that can be done with those ribbon cables and limited space.

Reply 12 of 16, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Do you even have enough IRQs and stuff for all that gear? 😳

seems to all work fine with the exception of USB. I just got a 100mb Zip drive i'm planning to add as well but unfortunitly I'm out of power supply connections so now I need to wait for a molex splitter cable to arrive.

I also tried cleaning it up a little but theres just nothing that can be done with those ribbon cables and limited space.

Use round cable?

Reply 13 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's orchid, not orchard! Righteous Orchard sounds so grim!

It's not hard to find out the usb pinout, just measure the voltage on pins 1 and 4. This should help http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Reply 14 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

It's orchid, not orchard! Righteous Orchard sounds so grim!

It's not hard to find out the usb pinout, just measure the voltage on pins 1 and 4. This should help http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

There's a cider brand called Angry Orchard. How does that sound for grim?

2012-07-23-angry-orchard.jpg

Reply 15 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GE … ml#.UYgXEso51xk […]
Show full quote

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GE … ml#.UYgXEso51xk

^Manual, but doesn't show a pinout of USB header. I have a zip file of BIOS files. Also may have a CD but would have to dig around for it.

EDIT: Found the CD Version 112. Got it imaged and compressed to 33.9MB. Dunno how to get it to you though. Don't know how strict the Vogons Repository is.

EDIT 2: Here is a magnet link torrent for the file. I'll try to keep it up for about a week.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:B3CB0D8CA26748F96E807FE0496F108A398D9C48&dn=GMBP58VPS.7z&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce 

thanks for that. running the cd and installing drivers just changed the name in the system devices from something like "PCI to USB controller" to VIA PCI to USB controller". I'm strongly suspecting there just is no support for the USB under win95 even with ver B and C. Its really no big loss.

I did install a Iomega 100 ZIP drive in that empty bay so now were fully loaded. Everything works perfect with the exception of USB and games from the era run fine. though i'm finding some games look better with the Virge as opposed to the voodoo 1. extreme assult for example. the ground and some of the vehicles look better on the voodoo but I get some texture tearing with white lines. also its very blurry and less detailed close up compaired to just running the virge.

you know I've only glanced at it and untill you brought it up I just assumed the word was orchard, my mistake.

Reply 16 of 16, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I decided to transfer to abit ab-bh6 motherboard and a larger case. Everything install fine besides the USB again which is no issue but now I'm getting a "PCI bridge" error in device manager. It doesn't seem to be effecting anything but what is this error?