VOGONS

Intel AL440LX

Topic actions

First post, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had this board kicking around for a while which I've been using for simple bench tests with other components.
Maybe now would be a good time to give it some life back.
The model is E139761.
I've initially set it up with a PII 233/512 three 32Mb dimms, a Trident 3DImage 9750 AGP card and a Compaq 200W psu as it's so silent and robust.
Just have to grab a hard drive and cdrom and we should be fine.
I'll update as I go along.
30052013611_zps193afe14.jpg

Reply 1 of 47, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound?

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's got on board sound (Yamaha OPL3) however I've got a Creative hanging around.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 5 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Standard ATX on this PSU. Only drawback being the cables are very short.
I'll do the sound chip in a min.

Reply 6 of 47, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Splinter wrote:

It's got on board sound (Yamaha OPL3) however I've got a Creative hanging around.

Not only that, but it has onboard GM. The patches aren't as nice as you'd get with a real midi module, but they're a lot better than FM synthesis. It has a real OPL3, like a soundblaster, and the PCM output is cleaner. All around a better option than a Creative card, unless you want to attach a GM board to it.

It's a shame this board doesn't support faster processors. I think it only does 300mhz natively. I'm kind of torn between my HOT-631 which supports faster CPUs and my AL440LX which has GM.

Reply 7 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll stick with the on board sound as I'm not really a sound buff, thus leaving spare PCI slots.
Agreed about the speed. It's only 66 right?
Found a Hitachi 80gb which is a bit overkill and put Win95 (950B) on which I'll probably change to 98se.
I've got all the drivers for this board on a cd somewhere.......................

Reply 8 of 47, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:

Not only that, but it has onboard GM. The patches aren't as nice as you'd get with a real midi module, but they're a lot better than FM synthesis. It has a real OPL3, like a soundblaster, and the PCM output is cleaner. All around a better option than a Creative card, unless you want to attach a GM board to it.

It's a shame this board doesn't support faster processors. I think it only does 300mhz natively. I'm kind of torn between my HOT-631 which supports faster CPUs and my AL440LX which has GM.

I swear that there was a version of the SE440BX that had a similar Yamaha chipset, which would do faster CPUs. I have a SE440BX but it has craptabulous Crystal Audio. 😒

Reply 9 of 47, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Crystal... BS... Only 4236 and 4237 offer acceptable FM emulation. 4235 are utter bullshit. This is why I prefer ESS chips. They sound a lot better and some games have native support for ESFM.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 10 of 47, by VictorB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This board will go upto 333mhz pentium2. And maybe faster celeron chips but not sure. Intel boards just take stock cpu's no overclocking but rocksolid. Don't know if the slot1 to socket370 converters wil work in this board.

Reply 11 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the sound chip
3d7510ff-87a2-453d-a1ef-eeab28b72541_zpsed006599.jpg

Reply 12 of 47, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VictorB wrote:

This board will go upto 333mhz pentium2. And maybe faster celeron chips but not sure. Intel boards just take stock cpu's no overclocking but rocksolid. Don't know if the slot1 to socket370 converters wil work in this board.

Any Celeron up to the 533 (not the 533A) should work, without having to worry about voltages. A plain S370 adapter with a cellie on it should give this a good boost. I remember my upgrade from a 233 PII to a 533 Cellie, and it was worth the while (back in May 2000).

Reply 13 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The drivers for the Trident 9750 3dImage simply wouldn't work so I put in a Legend QDI agp 8Mb card which has a Rendition Verite 2200 chip.
The driver works a treat when you can find it.
I'll put it all in a case eventually.
DSCF2434_zpsecd8757b.jpg

Reply 14 of 47, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This motherboard is a great collector item, this is the first desktop motherboard with AGP slot. Congratulation! 😀
Here is a great side about this board:
http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 15 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great link Gona.
Many thanks.

Reply 16 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 440LX too and still use it and I still hate it. 🙁

and after testing lots of AGP video cards in one, Voodoo3 seemed to be the fastest/stable pick for me.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 47, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you hate it so much you should give it to me. 😀
It would be nice for compatibility tests (I have no LX board).
I don't expect big AGP performance from the first AGP motherboard.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 18 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks to a customer who was abut to throw out a battered PC, I was able to rescue what hadn't been flattened.
2 x 128 dimms, a Lite on cdrom and a K7 700.
I put the mem in here for now 😀

Correction:
It's a Duron 750 and the mobo works too.
Rather worried that it's a PC Chips as there are no markings.

Last edited by Splinter on 2013-06-05, 17:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 47, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Rendition card really struggles with Q2.
Can't see why you hate it though?