VOGONS

First post, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was browsing ebay a few days ago and found a ISA based 486 board with a Promise 4030 VLB card. I didn't pay much attention to the motherboard (looked like a generic ISA board) and won the acution because I wanted the promise caching IDE card (getting hard to find these days).

Anyway looking over the board model this seems to be a hybrid 386 or 486 board and there looks like a spot for a single VLB extension that wasn't installed at the factory. Never owned one of these (I have 486 ISA/EISA/MCA/VLB/PCI but not a 386/486) I was wondering what you guys think of it. Is it better just to make it a 386+ 387 combo or put in a 486 CPU?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 1 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since it doesn't have the VLB slot, it's not terribly interesting as a hybrid system. It would probably work better as a 386. As it was a budget board, at best it would be a low end 486...which really needs a 32-bit bus for video anyway.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well you can always solder in the 32bit extension. That board looks like it has cache too. I was thinking slapping a 386 into it anyway, or just ditching it since I have a bunch of 386 systems anyway.

Reply 3 of 7, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have the same board, but mine says FX3000 not FX30000. It had the same non-populated VESA bus slot, but I soldered one in to see if it worked and ended up burning up an old Cyrix VLB card. I guess it isn't really a VESA slot. Anyway, I run a 486DLC-33 and IIT 4C87DLC-40 at 40Mhz currently with an ATI MACH32 ISA video card in it and running the ISA bus at 40/3 (13.33MHz). This allows it to run DOOM2 reasonably well. Plus I have the ability to try all sorts of 386's up to a full blown 486DX-33 in it. The only drawback is having to have several clock oscillators on hand. Plus it has a full 256K cache on it instead of the more common 128K.

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 4 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should be a VLB slot. Perhaps there were some support components that you forgot to solder on with it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 7, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know how many issues VESA bus has... Perhaps it was planned on the board but when it came to testing the prototype failed and the manufacturer had a lot of empty boards shipped already, so they never soldered any VLB slots on them?

Reply 6 of 7, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I think RacoonRider is right. After I burned up my Cirrus (not Cyrix like I first posted, had Cyrix on the brain when I wrote it) I checked the signal/power pinout on the socket. It is not the same as the VESA VLB standard, some of the pinout is but the important power pins are not. They maybe put it there before the standard was finalized?

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 7 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know, I won't bother with the mod then. Will try installing a 386 next week and see if it even works. Not sure which speed oscillator it has.