VOGONS

Socket 7 build

Topic actions

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mainboard:A-Trend ATC-5000 intel TX chipset,512k lvl2 cache,support's Pentium and Pentium MMX,Amd K5 and K6,Cyrix 6x86,6x86L and 6x86MX

img0839oz.jpg

Intel Pentium MMX 166mhz

img0842wg.jpg

Memory:64mb sdram pc133

Videocard:Ati Mach64 with 2 mb ram,also have a taiwanese Expert Color videocard with S3 trio 64v+ chip with 1 mb ram,but i choosed the Ati since it has better image and build quality.

img0849os.jpg

Hard drive:Fujitsu M1636TAU 1,2 gb

img0844al.jpg

Soundcard:Labway A151-A00,Yamaha Ymf 719 soundchip

img0805ge.jpg

img0855est.jpg

img0857bm.jpg

img0867q.jpg

img0865t.jpg

Rest of configuration:
-Floppy
-52x Asus cd drive
-17inch Philips 107E monitor
monitor,keyboard and mouse are share with my k6-2+ build

OS:DOS 6.22 with Windows 3.1 and Norton Commander 5.5 installed.

Atm i'm using dos,since i wanted to have a pure dos machine,problem is i,m not very familiar with it,since my first pc had windows 95 installed and all my pc's since then had some type of windows on them and i,m having problems with memory management.
I,m using memmaker but i,m never able to make all my applications work,there's always a couple that don't have enough of the needed memory.So probably at 1 point i'll switch to windows 95.

Saddly since voltage interval is from 2,7 to 3,5,i can't use a K6-2 or higher processor,i saw that there r some mainboards that have undocumented voltage pin settings,in order to get lower voltages but i couldn't find any info about this board,so if anyone know how to set lower voltages let me know.2,7 i think will fry a 2.2v k6-2.

Also for some reason,i can't update the bios,the board comes with vers 1.004 and i found vers 1.006 and 1.007 even a modified 1.008 vers with bigger then 128gb hard drive support.
I,m using award flash vers.8.83,it detects the new bios but when i hit enter to update i get an error message something about source file not found.

My last complaint is that i wasn't able to overclock the proc,from what i read the pentium mmx 166 should easily oc to 200 mhz,but with the 200 mhz settings pc doesn't start,underclocking the processor works ok.

Last edited by Nahkri on 2013-06-04, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice! PS/2 port as well, that's awesome.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 41, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yay I love the Pentium 166MMX, a classic chip. Nice tidy setup, but I hope you gave that soundcard a taste of some compressed air!

I run Windows 95 on my 166 and have a boot menu which takes me to DOS7 for games which are happier in pure DOS (quite common around 96 / 97). It wasn't hard to do, and you can post your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files here if you need help, plenty of DOS memory experts around.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 41, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok i,m posting some pics with my mem status,and autoexec and config files

img0869io.jpg

img0872ab.jpg

img0871qm.jpg

What modifications should i make in order to free up some memory?

Also here is a picture from award flash

img0874lbz.jpg

Any idea why i get this message when trying to update bios?Is it not the right bios for my mb,should i use an older award flash version?

Last edited by Nahkri on 2013-06-05, 18:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 41, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ does the file 5000v107 have any extension? it needs one, do a DIR and write the complete filename in the box.
Alternatively rename it to "update.bin" and type that in the file box...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 41, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did that the first time i tried to update the bios,usually i name the flashing program a and the bios update b.bin,but i did that and wrote the files on the floppy on a pc with windows xp so the the b.bin ended up with a strange name when seen from the dos prompt,will rename the file on this pc and give it another try.

Reply 7 of 41, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the filename got corrupted, whould the whole file not be corrupted as well? I wouldn't risk flashing a bios with a bad file. Floppies are quite unpredictable.

Reply 8 of 41, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RE your config, do a mem /c /p to get the full story, and see what's taking up more than it's share. At a glance I'd say don't use oakcdrom.sys - I use the mitsumi driver but there are smaller ones. And try ctmouse instead of mouse.sys.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 41, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
Small update:i added a 3Dfx Voodoo 1 with 4 mb,made by Gainward. […]
Show full quote

Small update:i added a 3Dfx Voodoo 1 with 4 mb,made by Gainward.

tjne.jpg

Great. 35 ns. You should be able to overclock it up to 57 mhz with almost no to little cooling

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 12 of 41, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Ahem. Feet in slippers are detected under the table! 😉

maybe pluggas 😀

nice system by the way!

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 13 of 41, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another small update.
I replaced the Ati card with a Matrox Mystique(slippers not included) 😜 ,saddly it's the 2 mb version,but since this build is used for dos gaming and i,ve got the voodoo for 3D,don't think only 2 mb will be a problem.
I have to say there is a difference in image quality between the S3 trio 64v+,the Ati and the Matrox.
Matrox has the brighter image and colours are more vivid,Ati is in second place and the S3 is last.
Just out of curiosity,i tried the 3d capabilities of the Mystique,in Tomb Raider and altough the game does look better then in software mode,it's looking worse then the 3dfx version.

4p0t.jpg

I have a problem with Heart of China game,if i select sound blaster in configuration,the game gives me this error : Unable to initialize sound driver!Sound card interrupt is already in use by another card.
If i select Adlib,game and sound work fine.

Reply 16 of 41, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nahkri wrote:

Is a Voodoo 2 with 12 mb overkill for my pentium mmx 166?

No. You get additional benefit with 800x600 resolutions in alot of games and also better performance in some.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 41, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with running 3dmark 99,when i chose the voodoo card,both demo and benchmark,the image starts flickering,i tried with 2 sets of drivers.
In games i have no problem,just 3d mark.

Reply 18 of 41, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found out why the cpu won't overclock by raising the multiplier,it seems it's the model with locked multiplier,so the only way to oc is to raise the fsb to 75 the maximum suported by the mb,but that will increase pci speed too.
Will running the pci at increased speed damage my pci cards?I have a mystique and a voodoo runing on pci.

Reply 19 of 41, by Automat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nahkri wrote:

Will running the pci at increased speed damage my pci cards?

I don't think so. I had and have several old overclocked system, also with Voodoos. And all devices are still working well.