VOGONS

Asus P4P800 Pentium M upgrade

Topic actions

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Before. I don't remember what CPU was in it nor do i know since i lapped it. The water cooling system is totally screwed, the pump quit and it's full of air bubble and copper oxide.

I think i may have cleaned the parts in white vinegar and salt for too long causing some sort of ultra tiny pin hole, causing air bubbles and copper oxide. it would have cost more than the Pentium M upgrade + CPU to fix.

tQ80tBzl.jpg

5uO9QnZl.jpg

GvIy575l.jpg

4zmTNWQl.jpg

ub5WQjwl.jpg

MrceDqtl.jpg

YPS7EfUl.jpg

9uA5ZLal.jpg

3N9H6j6l.jpg

uMMGvp5l.jpg

The After.

qwAuM1Zl.jpg

TPMmojql.jpg

q9reiaQl.jpg

It was dry and crust, i scraped it off and and applied a small dot of AS5.

D4PMg97l.jpg

oDnTOlpl.jpg

tTvjDAml.jpg

FuY6M8hl.jpg

zeO9rXal.jpg

I need something to fill the holes, i was thinking of a dual 5.25 fan of some sort. Also need some plugs for the tubing holes on the top.

5ZArfX0l.jpg

I re did the expansion card slot spacing for better cooling.

jrypqXRl.png

I like to use simple themes on older computers with windows 7.

Zzrkln3l.png

vY7aCZcl.png

Initial WEI after the upgrade.

Mg1sCTUl.png

Overclocked

Hdzqt5zl.png

Overclocked.

Reply 2 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh, I never had a properly working water loop with it once... ever.

IT could till just recently run GTA IV @ just playable frame rates, then GTA just stopped working. Shame i wanted to see how it would run with a GPU oc.

Bioshock on low @ 800 x 500 with medium Texture resolution runs crazy fast except for the horrible slow down to 8-9 FPS. lows for 8-9 FPS and peaks of 60 FPS.

I;m going to test more games. i already order a Core Duo and am already curious about the pin out difference i know NBR they are re fitting an older Core 2 duo only chip set to run Core 2 quads and am wondering what it would take or what the differences are inbetween socket 479 and socket m.

Reply 3 of 38, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very interesting. I get the same 4.3 CPU / 4.5 RAM WEI with a Preshott OCed to 3.9 GHz on the same P4P800 mobo (while drawing double or triple the juice from the wall and releasing heat in spades).

Pentium-M was miles more efficient than P4.

Let the air flow!

Reply 4 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thought about getting a cheap SSD. it might not do trim but, i think it would live. i recent found out my my main machines bios settings got reset after a power outage and it seemed to be running fine with the SSD in IDE mode. so i though about upgrading the OS hdd but, really wantm ore CPU power so these game will run better and have less lag spikes.

Reply 5 of 38, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:

Pentium-M was miles more efficient than P4.

Pentium M has two issues. 1) It has a low clock ceiling. 2) Its floating point performance is mediocre, including its SSE2 support which is really only there for compatibility.

But considering its power consumption, it was an amazing chip at the time without a doubt. It also makes Athlon 64 look bad from a power standpoint.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-06-11, 00:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 38, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

... Pentium M has two issues. 1) It has a low clock ceiling. 2) Its floating point performance is mediocre, including its SSE2 support which is really only there for compatibility ...

"... we were able to raise the FSB from 133 to 160 MHz without any trouble at all. The result was that our 2.13 GHz Pentium M 770 ended up running at 2.56 GHz! At this clock speed, our two year old platform was able to beat the processor heavyweights Athlon 64 FX and Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition in all 3D games!"

Uncle Tom´s - Dothan Over Netburst: Is The Pentium 4 A Dead End?

Let the air flow!

Reply 8 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GTA IV will not run well on a Pentium M (or any single core processor). In fact, my 3GHz Opteron 185 (dual core) just barely managed to run that game at 30fps. For the best GTA IV experience, you'd need a quad-core (or quad-threaded) CPU.

Bioshock shouldn't be a problem though. What video card do have installed there? I played through Bioshock just fine on my PM system with an old (but good) GTX-260 graphics card. It's been years since I played it, but I don't recall there being frequent lag spikes.

This has nothing to do with gaming performance, but enabling the Aero theme will increase general Windows performance on most machines, as that will force desktop composition. Classic theme in Win7 actually burns quite a few more CPU cycles than it did in WinXP. Most (if not all) GDI+ calls in Win7 are done in software by the CPU, but enabling desktop composition can offload certain tasks to the graphics card. If your card is WDDM 1.1 compliant (GeForce 8, Radeon HD 2000 series or higher), it will handle even more in hardware than a WDDM 1.0 card.

Reply 10 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Except i DID run GTA IV EFLC on it the bench mark was 7 FPS. actually game play was lagy but, playable. also google Pentium 4 gta iv on youtube.

I almost whole sawed out the back for some fans but, figured since heat rises the ones on the top would be enough. the top 120mm fan is going bad and makes noise unfortunaty. also i'm not sure if put an intake fan in the 5.25 if it will be of any use if i have a 120 at the top, i'm not sure if the 120 would just suck up all that air from the new intake fan in the 5.25, so i though about mesh covers, if i could find them.

i'm also not sure if that audio panel ever worked in windows 7 or not.

Reply 11 of 38, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a fan of the Pentium M and 2003-era enthusiast hardware in general, I approve of this build. 😁

Hate to hijack this thread, but will that CPU upgrade kit work on other boards besides the P4P800? I was thinking a crazy hack may be to plug that adapter into one of the many socket 478-lga775 adapters, then use it to run a Pentium M on an LGA 775 board. 🤣 Would this work at all? I'd imagine you would have to hack together a custom bios with the Pentium M CPUIDs.

Reply 12 of 38, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

... I almost whole sawed out the back for some fans but, figured since heat rises the ones on the top would be enough. the top 120mm fan is going bad and makes noise unfortunaty. also i'm not sure if put an intake fan in the 5.25 if it will be of any use if i have a 120 at the top, i'm not sure if the 120 would just suck up all that air from the new intake fan in the 5.25, so i though about mesh covers, if i could find them ...

This is what I'd do:

- Discard the middle top fan, and seal its hole.

- Saw in the back panel to make room for the largest extracting fan that fits.

13298402.jpg 13298404.jpg

- Put the largest intake fan that fits in the front 5.25s.

8713988.jpg 8713916.jpg 8713935.jpg

- Another intake fan at the lower front blowing the HDDs (from the pics seems you already got one).

psu-top-downblower-03-EN.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 13 of 38, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:
swaaye wrote:

... Pentium M has two issues. 1) It has a low clock ceiling. 2) Its floating point performance is mediocre, including its SSE2 support which is really only there for compatibility ...

"... we were able to raise the FSB from 133 to 160 MHz without any trouble at all. The result was that our 2.13 GHz Pentium M 770 ended up running at 2.56 GHz! At this clock speed, our two year old platform was able to beat the processor heavyweights Athlon 64 FX and Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition in all 3D games!"

Uncle Tom´s - Dothan Over Netburst: Is The Pentium 4 A Dead End?

It looks like the "stable" 2.56 GHz P-M wasn't able to run some tests successfully. Also need to remember that K8 scaled up to 3.2 GHz on 90nm. The Dothan architecture couldn't get close to that.

I look at the Pentium M as the harbinger of AMD's doom that nobody recognized. 😀 Conroe is basically an upgraded Pentium M. The dual core "Yonah" Core Duo was nifty too.

Reply 14 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With my PM rig Bioshock doesn't lag much at all and played some fallout 3 decently on it yesterday just fine. The only major difference is that I am using a faster card than you which is the main benefit of the newer board vs agp. Just a cheap 4650 with gddr3 and bioshock runs roughly 40-50fps @ 1440x900.

I did back the clocks on the cpu back to 2512 due to having no voltage control but yours should go higher than this. If any thing else you could search through junk at any of the shops in town for a 770. I have yet to try my PM 780 as it is still in my big dell laptop.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe conroe came after Yonah, correct me if i'm wrong.

nforce4max wrote:

With my PM rig Bioshock doesn't lag much at all and played some fallout 3 decently on it yesterday just fine. The only major difference is that I am using a faster card than you which is the main benefit of the newer board vs agp. Just a cheap 4650 with gddr3 and bioshock runs roughly 40-50fps @ 1440x900.

I did back the clocks on the cpu back to 2512 due to having no voltage control but yours should go higher than this. If any thing else you could search through junk at any of the shops in town for a 770. I have yet to try my PM 780 as it is still in my big dell laptop.

Do you have PCIe?

I guess i might see if can't trade out for an AGP 8x HD4650 or HD3850. When i play games like BioShock the CPU pegs at 100% it does that for a lot of things though but, still run smoothly. i feel that the lag spies are form the CPU, hence me wanting a 780 with hopes of 3.0 ghz.

I know BioShock ran/runs find on my PCIe HD2600XT with no problems.

TELVM wrote:
This is what I'd do: […]
Show full quote
cdoublejj wrote:

... I almost whole sawed out the back for some fans but, figured since heat rises the ones on the top would be enough. the top 120mm fan is going bad and makes noise unfortunaty. also i'm not sure if put an intake fan in the 5.25 if it will be of any use if i have a 120 at the top, i'm not sure if the 120 would just suck up all that air from the new intake fan in the 5.25, so i though about mesh covers, if i could find them ...

This is what I'd do:

- Discard the middle top fan, and seal its hole.

- Saw in the back panel to make room for the largest extracting fan that fits.

13298402.jpg 13298404.jpg

- Put the largest intake fan that fits in the front 5.25s.

8713988.jpg 8713916.jpg 8713935.jpg

- Another intake fan at the lower front blowing the HDDs (from the pics seems you already got one).

psu-top-downblower-03-EN.png

What really matters is there is no room in this case for a rear 120 or i would have drilled it out already. which really would have been a waste since the PSU mounting holes have been modded to mount the PSU both directions. The PSU no sucks up any how air generated by the CPU.

since it runs so cool any ways the top mounted fans work pretty well not even powered/hooked up to any thing. 🤣 I plan on getting a fan to put in there and spin at low RPM or just leave the grill in there (no fan), and mount a front 5.25 bay fan (no top fan).

remember heat rises... if there is any.

EDIT: well if still had Pentium 4 your definitely right in suggesting the rear fan, it would have need the rare fan and the top fan and the front 5.25 fan.

EDIT: i hope the new forums have the strike through font.

Reply 16 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3ghz = Suicide run

The expected limit for a PM is 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz max, there might be FSB holes with this cpu but I don't remember exactly what they are but with your board you should be able to really max it out. As for the graphics card I am using the pci-e version as I got the 915GM board from MSI.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 38, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going through some of my stuff the other day, and it turns out that I do in fact own a P4P800! Now what I'm wondering is, how much should I expect to pay for the Pentium M upgrade kit, and would it be worth using with a 1.73GHz CPU?