Reply 20 of 38, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300909132633

He might even accept some 'best offers'... 😁
(at least he did last year)

And my M740 (1.73Ghz) can reach at least 2500mhz... I even think I saw 2600-something. (only tried testing with 3Dmark2006 and below)

Reply 22 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that exactly the one i bought, it's legit and genuine, i can tell form the yellowing and fading on the box art. it came fairly quickly being it's form Taiwan and all.

Reply 23 of 38, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

... since it runs so cool any ways the top mounted fans work pretty well not even powered/hooked up to any thing. 🤣 I plan on getting a fan to put in there and spin at low RPM or just leave the grill in there (no fan), and mount a front 5.25 bay fan (no top fan).

If you keep that top front fan, at least flip it to make it work as intake. Otherwise being upwind from the CPU it will just rob cool air from it.

With that top front fan as intake, and another 5.25 intake fan, you'd get great CPU cooling.

cdoublejj wrote:

... remember heat rises... if there is any.

Convection only has a (minimal) effect in totally passive systems.

As soon as there is a single fan in the case stirring the air you can kiss goodbye to any convection.

Vertical vs. Horizontal Case Cooling

"... Convection should (in theory) aid in cooling with a system running in a vertical orientation. However, our measurements do not support that theory ... ... Our conclusion is that the forces of convection in a computer are simply not strong enough to overcome even the turbulence and airflow eddies caused by the fans ...

... Convection, while a strong concept in thought, simply does not generate the results necessary to play a discernible role in a typical chassis ..."

Let the air flow!

Reply 25 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I normally have the top fan as primary exhaust thus taking advantage of natural convection (heat rises) and just have the rest of the fans as intake.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 26 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

same here but, when you thing about it the hottest parts are the power supply and gpu, a laptop cpu could only dream of having a heat sink as big as the one in the kit.

i never mentioned it but, i modded the power supply so i could mount it fan side down with the cords against the back plane. that way the fan sucks up the air in the case and shoot it out the back and wires would be easier to deal with.

since there isn't really any heat might as well make it the an intake and find something to cover the front. maybe if i can find away to make that sound blaster front panel work with windows 7 i would only need a 1 cover.

Reply 27 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done that as well, I prefer draft cooling over the usual methods as it doesn't take but one or two fans just for the exhaust while using the rest to force cool air in. The draft method makes a lot of noise and can make a system into a dust trap but when are they ever not 🤣 but anyway at least not hot air get trapped.

Reply 28 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting this machine back soon (loaned it out) i'm going to be reinstalling the A Pentium 4 and a good cooler of some sort. it's been a while but, looking back the Pentium M lacks SSE 3 and i think that's why i'm getting frame dips. I may re volt mod it regardless i'll be install VRM heat sinks and when i volt modded it the IC voltage col ?IC was blazing hot too so i might install a heat sink on it as well.

I think the higher buss clock, higher clock and HT and the general software optimizations (p4 were very popular chips) gives it a leg up over the Pentium M. Back when the Pentium M came out i don't think SSE 3 was utilized very much so the M was faster than the 4 for most applications.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dothan-ne … st,1041-13.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dothan-ne … st,1041-18.html

Reply 29 of 38, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a laptop with a Celeron M 450, that has SSE3, would one of those chips work in the adaptor? It's a 2gig, 533 FSB, 1mb cache part.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 30 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:

I have a laptop with a Celeron M 450, that has SSE3, would one of those chips work in the adaptor? It's a 2gig, 533 FSB, 1mb cache part.

No it won't as it is not the exact same socket as used with the PM series. PM these days are dirt cheap with the exception of the PM780 and the rest are basically the same value of the P4.

Reply 31 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if i killed the chip i was using by de lidding it i'll just grab another from the parts box at work. just need to find a heat sink install some VRM heat sinks and maybe re volt mod the mobo. guess i'll need to go through this thread: Socket 478 Heatsink Alternatives...**UPDATED**

Reply 32 of 38, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice thread there.
Got a P4P800-VM here,running Windows Vista Home Premium on a 80GB Western Digital Caviar II SE (SATA).
Anyways,try managing the cables a little,it's pretty messy in there.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 33 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

Nice thread there.
Got a P4P800-VM here,running Windows Vista Home Premium on a 80GB Western Digital Caviar II SE (SATA).
Anyways,try managing the cables a little,it's pretty messy in there.

I actually did that not too long ago after the PSU caught fire and i had replace it, so i redid the wire management but, short of running cables UNDER the mobo where the standoffs are there is a limit. However if you do so correctly that's untapped space but, you have to insulate the tar out of it so the pricklies on the back of the mobo to poke the cables and short stuff out.

Well i'm probably gonna sell the Pentium M kit CPU and all soon possible even the board and stuff too, short of a heatsink and PCIe card i have a AM2+ mobo, with CPU and RAM. i don't have as much room and time to mess with this ad it was fun while it lasted so i'm gonna give this to someone who can't afford gaming machine and use the best of my parts to build a mid range gamer.

my other pc blew up so i don't have the completed pictures but ,the IDE cables and all were run under the mobo where the standoffs are.
EDIT: this is a different machine than the one in this thread.
eXyGMCll.jpg

Reply 34 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I not going to ditch mine and is why I got the board that has pci-e and ddr2. Traded a little speed and tweaking for modern convenience plus I got a 5770 rocking the show.

Reply 35 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's funny you mention that my other Pentium $ project, is also ddr2 and PCIe with an HD5570. 🤣 It has a laptop pentium 4 that clocks well! i was mostly stable with stock volts at a 600mhz overclock! so i'm gonna volt mod it since it refuses to give me voltage options in th bios for this particular CPU. (P4M900-M4)

i've been taking pictures along the way on that build and will post it up when i have time to finish it.

Reply 36 of 38, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

I actually did that not too long ago after the PSU caught fire and i had replace it, so i redid the wire management but, short of running cables UNDER the mobo where the standoffs are there is a limit. However if you do so correctly that's untapped space but, you have to insulate the tar out of it so the pricklies on the back of the mobo to poke the cables and short stuff out.

Remember how they glued a rectangular piece of transparent plastic to the back of the mainboard? Might be handy to do something like that again 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 37 of 38, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

Remember how they glued a rectangular piece of transparent plastic to the back of the mainboard? Might be handy to do something like that again 😀

On some crap oems they have rubber stand offs glued to the board or the tray that do a decent job of supporting the board in areas where there isn't a screw hole.

Reply 38 of 38, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

that's funny you mention that my other Pentium $ project, is also ddr2 and PCIe with an HD5570. 🤣 It has a laptop pentium 4 that clocks well! i was mostly stable with stock volts at a 600mhz overclock! so i'm gonna volt mod it since it refuses to give me voltage options in th bios for this particular CPU. (P4M900-M4)

i've been taking pictures along the way on that build and will post it up when i have time to finish it.

You've got a P4M900-M4?That's a really cool motherboard,because not only it uses Socket 478 but it has DDR2 and PCI-E.They made even a S478 board with the G31 chipset.(G31-M4)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB