VOGONS

First post, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going through parts I kept over the years, I think I pinned down all the original components. This computer was built as a family gift for Christmas of 1993. It totaled close to $3000, which was a bit at the time.

First off the specs:
-486 DX2/66Mhz
-8MB of RAM (in 1MB 30-pin SIMMs)
-256k L2 writeback cache
-486 VESA "Typhoon" Motherboard. (see notes below)
-Western Digital AC2340 340MB Hard Drive (still have)
-Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 based video card with 2MB of RAM. I do not remember the make, but recall the user's guide had a green cover and it used generic drivers.
-generic 14.4k ISA modem (still have it somewhere, I should pull the AT strings!)
-Mitsumi LU005S "pull out" 1X CD-ROM Drive
-Mitsumi 1.2MB and 1.44MB floppy drives
-ATI Stereo F/X sound card with CD-ROM interface
-Generic Winbond VLB I/O-IDE-Floppy card (still have)
-Attractive mid-tower Baby-AT Enlight case (for some reason I still have the drive bay covers that ID'ed the make!)
-CTX CMS-1561 15" Multisync monitor
-Labtech CMS-150 speakers. (sitting next to my Apple IIgs!)
-Some 24-pin Star Micronics dot matrix printer (I hated it.... a lot, I wanted a Deskjet)
-PC DOS 6.1 and Microsoft Windows 3.10

The hardest thing by far with this machine was determining what motherboard it contained. Since both the board and the manual are long gone, I'm going by memory. The board clearly stated "Typhoon" in the manual, and I remember it having the Unichip chipset (U4800VLX to be exact). From what I could tell it was a clone of the Gemlight GMB-486UNP. The board was also sold as the Dataexpert 4407WB v1.1 and given their history, DTK likely used it as well. VHS video that I have of the machine shows the AMI BIOS vendor code of "6257" which is not identified on any BIOS website. The BIOS was the 06/06/1992 Hi-Flex core. TH99 says "Typhoon" was a brand used by "Target Micro". Seems like a generic Taiwan made deal.

This machine did receive a few upgrades in mid-1994 to the sound system. Despite what people may think of it today, the ATI Stereo F/X was a lousy noisy 8-bit sound card. So it got the following:

-Prolink "Soundplus-16" ESS688 based sound card.
-Altec Lansing ACS3 speakers with subwoofer (still in use!)

That Star printer was eventually replaced with a Canon BJC-4000 inkjet in mid-1995.

This machine at the time could run everything. I had quite a few 386 owning friends who came with their PC games (of which I made copies of) to play them. The CD-ROM was dog slow, but it got the job done. Eventually the machine was upgraded to Windows 95 and replaced with a Packard Bell on Halloween of 1995. My sister took this computer to college for a few years and eventually it was disassembled due to motherboard failure around 1997ish.

Fun Fact: This machine was built by the president of PC Enterprises, a now defunct New Jersey based company that specialized in PCjr and Tandy 1000 upgrades for the educational market.

Attachments

• my486.png
    Filename
    my486.png
    File size
    275.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think that machine ever saw DOOM outside of the demo. My parents wouldn't allow me to play super violent games and it was a no go. Somehow Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny snacked on there though. I also played many hours of Ultima Underworld I and II on it. My friend was shocked at how smooth it ran! Flight Simulation 5.0 was another staple once I got QEMM working on it with EMS emulation. That machine played picky SVGA games like SimCity 2000 without a problem. The 7th Guest wouldn't run because of the ATI soundcard.

What killed the machine was Windows 95. We never bothered to upgrade the RAM because 30-pin SIMMs were very expensive compared to 72-pin and any upgrade would have removed 4 perfectly working SIMMs from use.

Reply 3 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, Windows 95 killed my 486 too. The only way to get more memory was to buy four 4meg 30-pin SIMMs at *considerable* cost. I just stuck with WFW311. The first version of 95 was shite anyway.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 11, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have my first PC too 😀
A 486DX33. I think my dad bought it in 90 or 91 and it cost a little fortune.
I remember at the time when my dad was telling other guys into computing that he had bought a 486 they all thought he was insane.

Edit: I just reread the part list and realized you have an ATI stereo f/x. This card is simply EPIC!

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 5 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:

Edit: I just reread the part list and realized you have an ATI stereo f/x. This card is simply EPIC!

It was epic for its noisy output. The machine had the later Stereo F/X CD which included an OPL3 and Mitsumi CD-ROM interface, along with a CD Audio connection. I don't recall it even being Soundblaster Pro compatible, just the plain mono Soundblaster. The ESS card had a much cleaner output, SB Pro stereo compatibility, and 16-bit sound with Windows drivers and games that supported it.

Reply 6 of 11, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

It was epic for its noisy output. The machine had the later Stereo F/X CD which included an OPL3 and Mitsumi CD-ROM interface, along with a CD Audio connection. I don't recall it even being Soundblaster Pro compatible, just the plain mono Soundblaster. The ESS card had a much cleaner output, SB Pro stereo compatibility, and 16-bit sound with Windows drivers and games that supported it.

I see, I was referring to the older 8bit OPL2 card, I somehow didnt realize your had the later version.
The older version is a great card. It is a bit less compatible than a real sound blaster or adlib but it sounds Great and has very clean output!! And of course it is also CMS compatible.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 7 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whats interesting is ATI advertised the Stereo F/X-CD as being cleaner sounding than the SBPro.

http://archive.org/stream/BYTE-1993-05#page/n201/mode/2up

Nowhere in the ad does it state that its Soundblaster Pro compatible, in that regards its no better than a SB16. That simulated stereo for mono FM/Adlib only games seemed like an interesting feature. ATI also bundled the card with the Mitsumi CD-ROM drive and sold the kit, which my machine had. CMS support was dropped from that card though.

Reply 8 of 11, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe there's a jumper somewhere on ATI Stereo F/X CD to bypass the onboard amplifier, that would make a huge difference with output noise, like it does with Yamaha OPL3SAx.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 9 of 11, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are doing what I have often thought of doing. My first "real" PC was a 486 DX4-100. Unfortunately I don't have too many of the original components. Case, gone..... motherboard, gone...... 1275 MB hard drive, gone........ 🙁

Reply 11 of 11, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first PC was a 486DX4-100, with 8 Mb RAM and 400 Mb HDD. No sound and no CD though. A SB32 and a Mitsumi 4X CD-ROM were added a year later.

Oh, that scent of a new PC. I will probably never forget it.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city