VOGONS

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Put in some shelving for my semi retro game console collection. These are the consoles that see the most play time in my home. My Genesis is the exception bc I can emulate it perfectly, while protecting my hardware and saving space.

Before:
before.png

After:
console-rack.png

workspace1.png

*updated* Wiring
av_wiring.png

Detailed specs:
Xbox 360 - LT+ 3.0 custom firmware
Wii - Letterbomb / Homebrew Channel (2GB flash + 100GB HDD)
PS3 - stock
Xbox - UnleashX dash / XBMC (7200 RPM 60GB w IDE 100 cable) 12V fan mod
Dreamcast - stock
PS2 Slim (3 blocked sensors) mostly use retail or ESR patched discs w Free McBoot
PS2 Phat - network + HDD adapter - SwapMagic flip top
Saturn - Rob Webb modchip

Black Wii (used w GC ports) - boxed - top
SEGA GENESIS Arcade Motion NIB (cool SD card support - emulated, sub par sound)

Not pictured, mostly in storage:
NES, SNES mini, N64, GameCube, Genesis, Sega CD, PS1, PSOne, M2, Atari Flashback II

Black Sports Edition Dreamcast - boxed for now

Still looking for deal on these:
Atari 7800
Master System
32X
3DO
Jaguar w CD
Neo Geo CD
Neo Geo MVS
Turbo Duo

Last edited by simbin on 2013-12-22, 13:56. Edited 12 times in total.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 2 of 10, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

pictures are broken.

whoops.. all set now

Reply 3 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:
Still looking for deal on these: Atari 7800 Master System 32X 3DO Jaguar w CD Neo Geo CD Neo Geo MVS Turbo Duo […]
Show full quote

Still looking for deal on these:
Atari 7800
Master System
32X
3DO
Jaguar w CD
Neo Geo CD
Neo Geo MVS
Turbo Duo

Atari 7800, deals still to be had. I bought one locally for $50 a couple of years ago that had about 30 Atari 2600 games and 5 or 6 7800 games and among the 2600 games was a rare Commavid cartridge, Mines of Minos.

32x, I remember Toys R Us liquidating these things at $5 a piece about a year after the original Playstation was released. Still regret not buying every one I could afford. Getting harder to find complete in box now.

3DO, wasn't especially popular when new compared to it's contemporaries so that is contributing to it's rarity now. Also had some pretty nice exclusives that make the system a hot commodity to collectors. The Army Men series was born here.

Atari Jaguar and Jaguar CD, Atari never realistically stood a chance with this as Playstation and Saturn were just around the corner. If you didn't buy them when they were new, (I did), they are going to be expensive to acquire now especially the CD ROM drive.

Neo Geo CD, pretty easy to find and sometimes cheap but 1x CD drive means you will spend a lot of time staring at a black screen while waiting for data to load. It kinda spoils the whole Neo Geo experience. Games on CD cost a lot less than the same games on MVS cart but not every MVS game was ported to CD.

Neo Geo AES/MVS, AES was expensive to buy when new, even more expensive to buy one now. MVS is basically the arcade version of the AES. The system and the carts cost a ton of money when new ($499 for the AES console and $125-$200 for the games and this was in 1991) which makes almost everything for the system a rarity. Even the common carts sell for $50-$100 depending on condition and completeness. Not a system for the faint of heart or light of bank account to try to collect for. The rarest games trade for thousands of dollars and some of those have fewer than 5 copies known to exist. Good luck with this one.

Turbo Duo, still pretty easy to find and deals can be had. Some of the games can be hard to get, but the most commons ones won't destroy your wallet like the Neo Geo carts will. a good system for an intermediate collector to try to complete.

Reply 4 of 10, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Atari 7800, deals still to be had. I bought one locally for $50 a couple of years ago that had about 30 Atari 2600 games and 5 […]
Show full quote

Atari 7800, deals still to be had. I bought one locally for $50 a couple of years ago that had about 30 Atari 2600 games and 5 or 6 7800 games and among the 2600 games was a rare Commavid cartridge, Mines of Minos.

32x, I remember Toys R Us liquidating these things at $5 a piece about a year after the original Playstation was released. Still regret not buying every one I could afford. Getting harder to find complete in box now.

3DO, wasn't especially popular when new compared to it's contemporaries so that is contributing to it's rarity now. Also had some pretty nice exclusives that make the system a hot commodity to collectors. The Army Men series was born here.

Atari Jaguar and Jaguar CD, Atari never realistically stood a chance with this as Playstation and Saturn were just around the corner. If you didn't buy them when they were new, (I did), they are going to be expensive to acquire now especially the CD ROM drive.

Neo Geo CD, pretty easy to find and sometimes cheap but 1x CD drive means you will spend a lot of time staring at a black screen while waiting for data to load. It kinda spoils the whole Neo Geo experience. Games on CD cost a lot less than the same games on MVS cart but not every MVS game was ported to CD.

Neo Geo AES/MVS, AES was expensive to buy when new, even more expensive to buy one now. MVS is basically the arcade version of the AES. The system and the carts cost a ton of money when new ($499 for the AES console and $125-$200 for the games and this was in 1991) which makes almost everything for the system a rarity. Even the common carts sell for $50-$100 depending on condition and completeness. Not a system for the faint of heart or light of bank account to try to collect for. The rarest games trade for thousands of dollars and some of those have fewer than 5 copies known to exist. Good luck with this one.

Turbo Duo, still pretty easy to find and deals can be had. Some of the games can be hard to get, but the most commons ones won't destroy your wallet like the Neo Geo carts will. a good system for an intermediate collector to try to complete.

Thank you for the plethora of great info! One of the reasons I was looking into the Neo Geo CD was so I could play backup copies until I could afford actual discs. I was also thinking the MVS had some sort of ROM programmable multi-cart? For now I'm enjoying the limited number of Wii VC ports.

I knew one person with a Jaguar back in the day, but I'm sure it got pawned years ago. 🙁

That deal you got on the 7800 was epic! I keep checking yard sales, hoping someone is getting rid of their old Atari stash. I'm still sick from selling $400 worth of Colecovision stuff for $50 on eBay 10 years ago. I didn't know any better and never thought I'd be collecting "retro" stuff some day.

32X for $5 OMFG! Just wait until I finish building my time machine!!

3DO, Turbo Duo, etc. I know there's good deals to be had, it's just a slow process since everyone on eBay's a PawnStar now!

Reply 6 of 10, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Here's an MVS that was turned into a console with the multi cart you mentioned. They aren't cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Consolized-Neo-Geo-MV … =item35cac1f45d

I've read it's best (cost effective) to get the Jamma MVS board loose, wire everything up to a PSU and "consolize" it urself 😉 maybe a second one to sell and cover ur costs. I'm quite the frugal geek, so I've been considering this method.

I imagine the cart alone will still cost a pretty penny though.

Reply 7 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 161-in-1 cartridge is pretty good value, even if it's of dubious legality. It's not expensive either, sitting at the low end of what MVS games normally go for:

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/neo-geo-161-in-1.html

I own one, and the experience has been flawless, just avoid the hacked versions of the games and you'll be fine.

I just finished repairing my PC Engine Duo (what you lot call Turbo Duo), and there is a shed-load of fun to be had. No copy protection or region lockout, so you can definitely try-before-you-buy here as well.

simbin wrote:

32X for $5 OMFG! Just wait until I finish building my time machine!!

Just to rub a little salt in the wound, I bought my Super 32X in Japan for about 3000 yen ($30 or thereabouts).

Complete in box, barely used.

In May this year.

hzByR8Vl.jpg

😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 10, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a bit of advice if you plan on getting a 3DO , go for the Panasonic models, even if it costs a little more, and even better if you can the original FZ-1 model , the Goldstar ones are notorious for being held together with duct tape, more or less.

there are also a few issues that affect the other models, including the Panasonic FZ-10 , I have the FZ-10 , and while its as soild as a rock , Road Rash refuses to play the in-race music (it complains about a lack of memory), although this kind of thing is rare.

Reply 10 of 10, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darkman wrote:

a bit of advice if you plan on getting a 3DO , go for the Panasonic models, even if it costs a little more, and even better if you can the original FZ-1 model , the Goldstar ones are notorious for being held together with duct tape, more or less.

there are also a few issues that affect the other models, including the Panasonic FZ-10 , I have the FZ-10 , and while its as soild as a rock , Road Rash refuses to play the in-race music (it complains about a lack of memory), although this kind of thing is rare.

Thanks for the advice. I've also seen people warning against getting the Goldstar model. It looks like the newer FZ-10 is the way to go (less moving parts with the flip top). $100 seems to be the going rate, unless the CD ROM drive is broken. A bit out of my price range at the moment. Since they aren't totally rare, I'll keep checking yard sales for now.