VOGONS

Found a 386DX-40 in the dumpster

Topic actions

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went to the scrapyard yesterday and came back with another working computer.

It's a 386DX-40 filled up with 8MB of RAM, OAK 512K video, no sound card, 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives and a 30MB NEC hard drive. It boots straight to DOS 6.22. For some reason the display is showing 16/8 MHz.

The battery hasn't started leaking yet despite the system being from around 1992.

386dx40case.jpg

386dx40guts.jpg

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 24, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find! 😁 Now you just need to pimp it out with a bigger hard drive (or a CF card), a Soundblaster Pro or 16, an Et4000, and a CD drive.

Reply 3 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess, it used to have a different motherboard at 1992, with 386-16, 8 with turbo off. It was probably changed for a 386DX-40 board once they became cheap - the board surely does not look like it was made in 1992.

P.S. Nice find, very clean, handsome case. Have fun!

Reply 4 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

I guess, it used to have a different motherboard at 1992, with 386-16, 8 with turbo off. It was probably changed for a 386DX-40 board once they became cheap - the board surely does not look like it was made in 1992.

P.S. Nice find, very clean, handsome case. Have fun!

8-16 could also be a 286.. there were even 20 and 25 MHz models.

I remember now, the hard drive has 1992 stamped on the label. I have no idea how old is the machine itself. I'll take another look at the motherboard tomorrow.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 24, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

love the case, all of my school's 386's were in a case identical to that one. "back in the day" as for what CPU is in it, the chip in the exact middle of your first picture looks like the CPU, but I cant read anything on it. With a 30mb hard disk, it could very well be a 286. and you might have to remove that white sticker.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

love the case, all of my school's 386's were in a case identical to that one. "back in the day" as for what CPU is in it, the chip in the exact middle of your first picture looks like the CPU, but I cant read anything on it. With a 30mb hard disk, it could very well be a 286. and you might have to remove that white sticker.

It was never a question of which CPU this computer is using. We were just speculating why the LED display was displaying 8/16 instead of the proper frequency.

By the way, wikipedia claims that am386DX-40 was released in 1992 so that puts this build in 1992-93 time period.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 8 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK there are some good news and some bad:
The bad news is that the computer often locks up and I have to reset it. CTRL-ALT-DELETE usually works. It even happens when I try editing CONFIG.SYS or when loading the CDROM driver. On the other hand, I was able to play a couple of games of Dyna Blaster no problem at all.

Tried removing four sticks of RAM to no avail.

The good news is that the disk is infact 100MB and checks out fine with SCANDISK.

UPDATE: If I boot the system without loading CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, I'm able to open EDIT and load CONFIG.SYS no problem.

I've created a very basic CONFIG (only himem) and AUTOEXEC (only path) for further testing...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🙁 always like to see a machine rescued from the dump, its ashame the PC isn't grateful
Can you swap the RAM with another PC? That's the 1st thing I blame for seemingly random lockup/crashes

Reply 12 of 24, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe you should use memtest86 4.0

there is a bootable floppy out there.

use winimage or rawrite to write the image.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 13 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't run memtest 4.0 from this computer... it gives me a dump of the registers, if I try booting from the floppy..

AX...
BX...
Cx...
DX...

EDIT: actually I can't boot the floppy from a Pentium either. I used install.bat that came with memtest.

EDIT#2: just downloaded version 4.3.2, wrote a bootable floppy with rawrite3 and managed to boot from the floppy. However, right after starting memtest, the PC reboots itself. yay!

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 14 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I successfully installed MS-DOS 6.22 on a 128MB compact flash card and added a CD-ROM.

The CD-ROM is connected to the sound card's IDE interface and it's horribly slow. Is this normal?

I also get a lot of "Not ready reading drive D" errors on CDs that are perfectly fine.

EDIT: if I connect the drive directly to the IDE controller, I can't get DOS to recognise the drive. I'm using the same bloody OAKCDROM.SYS that worked with the sound card's IDE interface but it doesn't work! It says "No drives found..."

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 15 of 24, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most soundcards back then didn't actually use IDE interfaces. What some of them used instead was a proprietary interface that had a similar looking cable, but worked entirely differently. Speaking as the owner of such a setup, I do agree, they are quite slow and unreliable. 😜 Your best option would be to get a known-good IDE optical drive (even if it's not retro 🤣), and connect it to the IDE on the motherboard. The Oak drivers should work with it. If not, try some of the drivers from a FreeDOS distro.

Reply 16 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The sound card is an OPTI930 and I believe it uses a standard IDE interface. I installed the drivers that came with the card and they included the standard OAKCDROM.SYS and a bunch of other drivers from SONY, MATSUSHITA and the rest. If I pick OAKCDROM, the CDROMs are detected and I can see what's on the CD but whenever I try to actually install a program they're really slow and give me errors. Again I spent 8 hours arsing around and have almost nothing to show for it...

This PC is starting to get on my nerves.

XCDROM.SYS doesn't see the drive either.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 17 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up using a different motherboard - an MG 38606 w/ AMD 386DX-40 and 128k cache. When I look at it, it's actually an upgrade! The only downside is that the BIOS on this board doesn't have Auto detect capabilities.

The DVD-ROM is a Pioneer 106S and it works fine with the sound card's IDE controller.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 18 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's how this is currently setup. I've ordered a MIDI cable for MT-32 and I'll be replacing the OPTi card with a proper Sound Blaster 16 with IDE. Then I can finally try some Roland stuff myself 😀

386dx40.jpg

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png