Found a 386DX-40 in the dumpster

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:
I successfully installed MS-DOS 6.22 on a 128MB compact flash card and added a CD-ROM. […]
Show full quote

I successfully installed MS-DOS 6.22 on a 128MB compact flash card and added a CD-ROM.

The CD-ROM is connected to the sound card's IDE interface and it's horribly slow. Is this normal?

I also get a lot of "Not ready reading drive D" errors on CDs that are perfectly fine.

EDIT: if I connect the drive directly to the IDE controller, I can't get DOS to recognise the drive. I'm using the same bloody OAKCDROM.SYS that worked with the sound card's IDE interface but it doesn't work! It says "No drives found..."

It might just be that the drive is shagged. Our first two Creative drives used to do that, sporadically just give you a "Drive not ready" thing even though everything else was fine.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 21 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I resolved the abovementioned issue and you can read about it in the follow up posts. However, in the end I had to swap out the Pioneer 106S for a Teac 52X because the 106S had problems with a CD-R. It didn't have any problems with original factory CDs tho.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 24 of 24, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally received a MIDI cable last weekend and hooked up the MT-32. I must say, Space Quest III intro music just blew me away 😀 Only tried Sierra titles so far and everything sounds so much nicer.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png