VOGONS

Slot 1 Intel 440Bx Build

Topic actions

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my third and probably last retro build.

Motherboard:Gigabyte BX-2000 ,intel 440bx chipset
Good things about this mainboard:dual bios,support for 133 mhz fsb,multiplier settings up to 9.5.
Bad thing:voltage auto sets itself depending on the processor used,no way to increase or decrease voltage.
There is 1 jumper on the mainboard,i,m not sure what it does,the manual describes it as system acceleration and i have 2 options:100mhz normal(default position) and 100mhz turbo and other frequencies.

3ej6.jpg

Processor :Intel Pentium III 450 mhz,with stock cooling,i wanted a P II 450,but this is closest i could get.

nqqv.jpg

Videocard:Msi manufactured Nvidia TnT 2 Pro 32mb

tgl5.jpg

System has 348 mb sdram pc133,Western Digital 40gb 7200rpm 2mb cache hard drive,a temporary isa soundcard Labway with ymf 719-s(i will replace it as soon as i can find a cheap Live or Vortex 2),floppy drive ,Toshiba dvd rom ,450w power supply.

en6b.jpg

After 2 AT builds,it was nice to work with a ATX case,much more space to move around.

uv4m.jpg

qxp5.jpg

The case is a second hand 1,but in good condition,was lucky that a unused backplate i had perfectly matched the mainboard.

woxo.jpg

I noticed that the cpu 3D mark of the p III at 450 MHZ is lower then my K6-2+ at 550 MHZ

Reply 1 of 44, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice rig 😀 None of my BX boards support 40gb drives (in 40gb mode), so that's pretty lucky yours does.

Does 3dmark99 bench CPU integer performance? Might explain why the K6-2 scored higher?

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 5 of 44, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

I recall that case being typical 2000-2001 cheese. 😀 That translucent blue stuff was so common back then!

And yet oh so hard to get these days. 😢 Same with the Windowed case fad. Sure, I can make my own. But nothing beats machine cut edges for precision.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 6 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:

Looks like something I've typically found on the side of the road...

What on earth could this be used for that any modern machine with a XP partition couldn't be used for?

Not sure that it is worth to to bite on an obvious lure but...

Perhaps to be able to run games that dosnt run well in windows xp and/or on new hardware.
A machine like this with windows 98 can run all late dos games and early windows games.
In most cases games can be coaxed to run on newer systems but with an old win 98 box you just insert your cd and play without hassle.
Some people also find these old systems fun to tinker with.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 44, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like it, and the case is very early 2000s, though I have to ask is there a particular reason for the TNT2? personally I would have gone for either a 3DFX card or if not that, than a Geforce256 or Geforce2 (or both), but that is just me, overall I like the system.

as for 3DMark , I would have to guess its very optimized for 3DNow, or reliant on integer results, in 3DMark2000 and 2001, I found that the overall score was about twice as high with the PIII 450 , than with the K6III 450, on an otherwise same system and most games give me some 10-20fps improvements.

Reply 8 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I chosed the tnt 2 pro,becouse i belive a geforce 2 ti or a voodoo 4 4500(i have both of those cards),are a bit too much for the p III at 450 mhz,if i were using a faster p III or a socket A processor 600 mhz and above,then i would have chosen 1 of the faster videocards.
I'll try 3dmark 2001 or i could oc the p III closer to 550 mhz and rerun 3dmark 99.

Reply 9 of 44, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

I chosed the tnt 2 pro,becouse i belive a geforce 2 ti or a voodoo 4 4500(i have both of those cards),are a bit too much for the p III at 450 mhz,if i were using a faster p III or a socket A processor 600 mhz and above,then i would have chosen 1 of the faster videocards.
I'll try 3dmark 2001 or i could oc the p III closer to 550 mhz and rerun 3dmark 99.

thats true to some extent, Im guessing the kind of game that really needs something like a Geforce2 would be something like Max Payne, and a 450Mhz Katmai is the absolute minimum for that (I tried it on a 450Mhz PIII and Voodoo3 , it was surprisingly playable at the lowest settings), Voodoo 4 wouldn't be crazy though.

I was thinking of maybe putting a Geforce2 Ti/Ultra along with a PCI voodoo 3 in my 600Mhz Katmai , though that depends on the price, and whether my 250w PSU can take it (in addition to the 2 sound cards, 2 HDDs, etc)

Reply 10 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The voodoo 4 4500 had as competition the geforce 2 mx,it was weaker then the mx,but i still think it needs a faster p III ,celeron 2 or a slot A,socket A platform,in order to run at maximum performance.
I tried it on my k6-2+ build at 550mhz,but it seemed slowed down so i reverted back to using the voodoo 3 3000 on that.
I have a P III Coppermine at 800 mhz,but it needs 133 bus,runs at 600 mhz with 100 bus,so if i ever start using it in this pc,i,ll match it up with 1 of those 2 videocards,lets just hope they"ll like de overclocked agp.

Reply 11 of 44, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got that board, though it only has 3 memory slots.

That "Turbo" jumper is for overclocking past 100 MHz FSB.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 44, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that same board and it is amazingly stable

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 15 of 44, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On your board everything looks OK, but those teal caps for the CPU VRM can be bad news. I've seen them go bad on Gigabyte boards from that specific period while the brands Asus used seem to fare better.

Reply 16 of 44, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

I have that same board and it is amazingly stable

That is one of the best BX boards that anyone could want.

Picked it up for $15 2 years ago with a 266mhz p2 😁 threw in a 450mhz p3, windows 98se with mem and usb tweaks, 1gb of pc133 (because I could :p) and a geforce2 64mb. Gave it to my best friend as a bday present so we can do some killer mini LAN parties

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 17 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

On your board everything looks OK, but those teal caps for the CPU VRM can be bad news. I've seen them go bad on Gigabyte boards from that specific period while the brands Asus used seem to fare better.

The pc is only used ocasionally in weekends for retrograming,so i hope they'll take a longer time to go bad.

Reply 18 of 44, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

Looks like something I've typically found on the side of the road...

What on earth could this be used for that any modern machine with a XP partition couldn't be used for?

ISA slots.

Reply 19 of 44, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

The pc is only used ocasionally in weekends for retrograming,so i hope they'll take a longer time to go bad.

The caps go bad regardless of use.. I think..

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png