VOGONS

Slot 1 Intel 440Bx Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to get a replacement mb,Asus P2B-F,it powers up,cpu fan is working,but there is no beeping coming from it,no image on the monitor,nothing.
Is it dead?I checked the caps they seem ok.

Reply 21 of 44, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the CPU ok? I have a socket 370 that didn't respond at all when powered on & it turned out to be a dead CPU.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 22 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah cpu is ok,memory ok,videocard ok,all tested and working,i get absolutly no beeps even without processor,or memory mounted.
I,m thinking it's either dead or maybe someone screwed up a bios update,but in this last case,shouldn't at least beep?

Reply 23 of 44, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not always, but either way it does sound like it's dead. You could go through the process of replacing the BIOS, but it may or may not be worth it.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 24 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had boards that were "dead" but been resurected with another memory module or another PSU or even another videocard altough all parts works in other computers they for some reasons diddnt like each other.
Best example is Asus s478 boards, they are often very very picky about memory. Most Asus s478 boards I have used have requierd that I try several modules until I find one that works.
My Asus P4B-533e board only boots with one special 512mb DDR module but as long as that module is in the first slot I can add what ever modules I want in the two other slots 😀
The magical module is a TwinMos Twister

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And it doesn't beep at all?
Usually when the mb doesn't have mem or videocard installed,it beeps,i tried with 3 different videocards,2pci and 1 agp and 2 psu.Will have to try with a different memory module.

Reply 26 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes the motherboard beeps as it should and you can even locate the error by notice how it beeps, other times there have been total silence.
But the asus s478 motherboards have a led on the motherboard that indicates that the board is powered on. As long as I get a green light I never throw the board away 😀

When I cant get a motherboard working I often put it back in its box until later.
The board sometimes posts directly without issues next time I try.
Some boards really needs to be mounted on a motherboard tray to post. I guess they were bent and eveyting diddnt make good contact until the board were screwed strait 😁
Hardware are beautiful but strange things, sometimes its really hard to understand why it behaves as it behaves

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 27 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well the Asus mb doesn't have a led to indicate if it's powered up,but i think it does power up,becouse after i press the start button the psu and cpu fans start to work,but no beeps,no post,nothing.
I,ll try with a different memory module and if that doesn't work maybe the bios reflashing trick.

Reply 28 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried with a different memory module,no luck,also tried to reflash the bios,also no luck,tried a different cmos battery,still nothing.
It's weird the mb,powers up after i press the start button on the case,the power led it's lit,i can even turn it off from the button,i just can't make it to post.
I think i'm gonna declare it dead.

Reply 29 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday when I tried to get an QDI Legend Brilliant 1 BX-board working I ran into strange problems.
I tried diffrent CPUs, memory and videocards even diffrent PSUs but nothing worked it would not post.
Then I tried an unlocked early p2 and suddenly the board posted instantly.

Although the old button cell was totally flat and I replaced it with a new and resetted the bios both with the jumper and with a screwdriver between + and - it seems a bios issue somehow was the problem.
The board defaults to 3x multiplier "Jumper Emulation" in the "speed easy cpu setup" but that should not matter with multiplier locked CPUs. After I got the board to post I loaded bios default and changed the multiplier setting to 4.5x and tried a p2-450, one of the CPUs that diddnt work earlier and sure enough it posted. The "speeed easy" setting had reverted back to its default 3x because of the changed CPU but the CPU was running at 4.5x as it should since its locked. Perhaps for some reason the board got stuck at the 3x setting and would not accept any CPU that could not run at 3x multi. When it had posted once and I loaded bios defaults the issue whatever it was was resolved. I think the board was designed by Franz Kafka.

I still think that you should not trash your board, save it for a rainy day. Who knows next time you try to get it working you might have better luck.

Reply 30 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ofi.JPG

I replaced the soundcard with a SB Live 5.1 Digital, sb0220 model,it took some time until i found working drivers(the ones on creative site don't work) and now everything works fine.

Reply 31 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

I still think that you should not trash your board, save it for a rainy day. Who knows next time you try to get it working you might have better luck.

Seems u were right,today i tested the board again and it's working,it booted up first try.

Reply 32 of 44, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice 😀

Saturns moons must be in alignment.

Reply 34 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few updates to the system:

Replaced the Gigabyte motherboard with a Soyo 6BA+ IV motherboard,which has a couple of advantages over the BX 2000: more fsb settings up to 150mhz,posibility to increase the cpu voltage(both are done within bios so no more jumpers or dip switches),udma 66 ide via a high point HPT366 controller.

IMG_2049_zpsee8af66f.jpg

I replaced the PIII-450 mhz with a true PII-450mhz.

IMG_2051_zps33a71a3f.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsf3557e52.jpg

Also replaced the 40gb 7200rpm Western Digital hard drive,with a 80gb ,7200rpm ,2mb cache ,udma 100 hard drive also from Western Digital.
And finally i replaced the sb0220 SbLive 5.1 Digital with a sb0100 SbLive 5.1,couse last 1 has a LiveDrive conector and maybe in the future i,ll get 1.

Last edited by Nahkri on 2014-09-11, 12:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 44, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neither of those boards seem to have the buffers for the DIMM slots. As I recall buffers were necessary if you wanted reliable operation out of the 4th DIMM slot.

I also remember high point controllers being not all that great and having compatibility issues under certain situations. At this point you might as well just get a high end SCSI or SATA controller on a PCI card.

133MHz and 150MHz FSB are somewhat useless on a BX board unless you want to run your VGA in a PCI slot....or unless you are lucky enough to have an AGP card that works reliably at out of spec.

The only real advantage I see here is having a removable BIOS in case you somehow manage to screw up both on the Gigabyte...and I guess it's nice to be able to control your voltages if you're not using a slotket adapter.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 36 of 44, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

133mhz FSB is not a problem with the overclocked AGP bus, most cards have no problems from my experience.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 37 of 44, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Neither of those boards seem to have the buffers for the DIMM slots. As I recall buffers were necessary if you wanted reliable operation out of the 4th DIMM slot.

I only installed 384 mb of ram in both boards,which is enough for my needs,so i won't need the 4th slot.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I also remember high point controllers being not all that great and having compatibility issues under certain situations. At this point you might as well just get a high end SCSI or SATA controller on a PCI card.

Yeah but that would mean some extra expenses,since i have neither a scsi or sata controller nor a scsi or sata drive,i got the 80gb drive from another pc that had it's hard drive upgraded.I never use a High Point ide controller so not sure how good or compatible it is,but so far the hard drive is faster using the udma 66 interface.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

133MHz and 150MHz FSB are somewhat useless on a BX board unless you want to run your VGA in a PCI slot....or unless you are lucky enough to have an AGP card that works reliably at out of spec.

Haven't tried to run a cpu at 150 mhz,but i used the previous PIII-450Mhz overclocked to 600mhz via 133 mhz fsb and had no problems with the MSi Riva Tnt 2 Pro agp videocard.
Also having a wide range of fsb speeds: 66 / 75 / 81 / 83 / 90 / 95 / 100 / 105 / 110 / 112 / 113 / 115 / 117 / 118 / 120 / 122 / 124 / 126 / 133 / 135 / 137 / 138 / 140 / 142 / 144 / 150 / 155MHz all controlable from bios it's a nice addition.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

The only real advantage I see here is having a removable BIOS in case you somehow manage to screw up both on the Gigabyte...and I guess it's nice to be able to control your voltages if you're not using a slotket adapter.

U can't control the cpu voltage from bios,u only have the option to increase the voltage by 2.5%, 5%, 7.5%, and 10%,the gigabyte had no such option,in fact it had a so called cpu overvoltage protect feature.
Another nice option on the Soyo is the one that allows u,in case of a failed cpu oc and system doesn't post,to revert to the stock cpu speed without having to reset the bios.

Reply 39 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you still using that same PSU? I had one from the same brand and it was really cheaply built

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Would you know if this is also the case when using 4 single sided memory modules? I have a couple BX boards with 4 DIMM slots (kinda layed out 2 by 2 similar to dual channel 865 boards except that these boards of course don't have dual channel) and thought it being a convenient way to "ditch" some of my endless supply of single sided 64MB SDRAM modules 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!