VOGONS

IBM PC-300PL - Diamond powered!

Topic actions

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ladies and gentlemen, meet my new retro powerhouse - IBM PC-300PL type 6862!

First of all, the specs: (updated)

Intel Pentium II-450 Deschutes;
440BX chip set;
768MB PC100 RAM;
S3 Trio3D/2X onboard - disabled;
SMC 10/100 LAN onboard;
Crystal 4236 onboard - disabled;
2x Diamond Monster II (Voodoo2) 12Mb SLI ;
Diamond Viper V770 (Riva TNT2) 32Mb;
Aureal Vortex SQ2500;
Seagate Barracuda 40 Gb (I have no idea where the original hard drive is);
Generic LG 52x CD-RW drive;
IBM P76 17" CRT;
Mitsumi Classic keyboard;
Generic Defender mouse.

Various documentation on PC300 series can be found on vogonsdrivers.com:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/dosearch.php?q=300PL

Next come the pictures!

P1020750.JPG
Here's the case. It lacks some plastic, but is in overall good condition. Dim light makes it look more beige than it actually is. The scratch on the top of floppy drive frame is actually damaged duct tape keeping CD frame from sliding away... I'm just too lazy to buy some tape, as we ran out of it and I have nothing to replace it with 😁

P1020746.JPG
The way the bay is flipped up for easy access is really practical! An I really loved the cable management.

P1020744.JPG

P1020753.JPG
Back of the PC. Not much interesting here.

P1020759.JPG
The desktop at the moment. There's not much installed right now, I enjoy dethkarz more than ever. For some reason, it does not run on V2SLI - at the end of each championship the game simply freezes, but Direct3D version is just as flashy.

P1020754.JPG
And here is a cool plastic shield on the back of the monitor.

The first part of the PC I got was the monitor. I really liked the quality of it's screen, compared to other CRTs I see from time to time.

This PC was originally planned to be a good platform for Voodoo 2 SLI. I bought it from a guy in Omsk. An IBM branded system with original highest-end CPU once worth $669 in our small and mostly poor (at least around 1999) city in the heart of Siberia! That's what I call a miracle! And the advertisment showed a single Voodoo II inside it - quite a miracle as well. I went to pick it up after aikido training. The fresh snow fell hard as I drove to an unknown part of the city. It was dark, the lights were not lit on any not-so-main street, I was driving through endless yards not even knowing if there was road under my wheels. I got there somehow and bought the PC and the Voodoo and that was the happiest I ever felt after treasure hunting - being exhasted after physical training and nervous drive through hell knows what, having this awesome thing in my trunk - best feeling ever!

I took it apart until there was nothing to take apart, washed it all in hot water with lots of soap and left it by the window for a couple of days to get dry. Later I put it together, lubricated fans, attached the power button with a plastic fixture (the plastic under it was broken - perhaps, someone tried to push it too hard when it did not boot).

Then I started tracking down the second Diamond Monster 3D II. To have some high-quality 3D I installed ELSA Razor 32Mb (RivaTNT2 M64) before the arrival of full Voodoo power. It took quite some time, but I got the second Voodoo 2 and by the time I had it installed I found a special low-profile double backplane to support AGP video card and decided to go with TNT2 as well as V2 SLI. Thanks an awesome Russian site http://darudar.org/ where people give each other stuff they no longer need, I got a Diamond Viper V770 for absolutely free and replaced M64.

As for the sound, I decided that this system should have Aureal Vortex SQ2500 - a soundcard a lot of people really loved and that I had no chance to try out. It's an original card from Vortex, with 4-channel output and WT header, which hosts XR385 which is courtesy of Badmojo. I know XR 385 fits older PCs best, I just wanted to try and play some Descent 1 with it later some time, and, as I don't have time to mess around multiple rigs anyway, I included it in this one.

There are currently three things I look forward to:
a SpaceOrb360 controller I ordered a few days ago;
some fancy IBM mouse to fit the serious look of the monitor and the PC;
a plastic plane to fit under floppy drive frame, which I will probably have printed in 3D.

So that's it, thanks for reading!

P.S. As I was writing this, my keyboard got finally broken, so I had to press "Submit" and reboot to connect Mitsumi Classic. It was Genius Slim Star i815, the one I liked a lot geometry-wise. However, it sucked hard in all other aspects... Now I need to find a decent keyboard for my main PC and I will never look at Genius ever again.

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2014-11-02, 05:08. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 3 of 59, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

great setup and matching too!
and yeah, IBM did make some nice machines

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 59, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is one mean looking machine! Half-life would be a good game to test out those Voodoo 2's and the Vortex.

I've read about the SpaceOrb360 but never used one, they sound pretty revolutionary - I'd be interested to hear how it works. Should be good for Descent!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 59, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Now I need to find a descent keyboard

In Soviet Russia, we descent on keyboards instead of snowboards!

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 6 of 59, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

tumblr_lvlvi9gLkC1r5jtugo1_400.gif

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 59, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm totally digging how it's not just an IBM desktop, but the whole kit, monitor and all.

Good one! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 59, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, guys! And well spotted, bristlehog.

Except for Half-Life, what are the good games to load up V2SLI or TNT2? I know there's Quake III Arena, but I've played enough of it over the past years. And besides, I'm not really fond of shooters.

Reply 10 of 59, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

h00E8FD8F

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 11 of 59, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice system. The onboard Trio3D/2X is not totally useless in case you want to try one of the supported S3D games.
Isn't a PII 450 a bit underpowered for Voodoo2 SLI or a TNT2? Not that slow but I'd probably use a faster CPU.

Regarding games: For the Voodoo2's I would try later Glide games, for example the obvious Unreal (OK, no FPSes, but there are a lot Glide games).
The TNT2 should be fine for anything Direct3D/OpenGL that doesn't require hardware T&L. What game genres do you like?

Reply 12 of 59, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
idspispopd wrote:

Isn't a PII 450 a bit underpowered for Voodoo2 SLI or a TNT2? Not that slow but I'd probably use a faster CPU.

I'd say no,since the p2 450 came out late 98 and the tnt 2 came out early 99.

Reply 13 of 59, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote:

I wouldn't call it underpowered. There is definitely some headroom, but the difference won't be really that big. V2 SLI maxes out at ~600MHz, from then on I'd say the difference is negligible, you're better off with a faster card.
I'd say you ditch both the TNT2 and V2 SLI and replace them with a nice Voodoo 3 3000. Unless of course, you have certain games that will only work on V2 and older.

Reply 14 of 59, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering S3, as far as I know, Virge GX/2 was the last card to support S3D. And S3Trio is not useless at all, it's got 8Mb of memory and works at resolutions up to 1600x1200. It's not bad for a buisness 2D card.

Considering CPU, a 500 or 550 Mhz Katmai core went through my hands not long ago, however, I decided to stick with the original PII-450 Deschutes.The PC was shipped with it and the manual states that it was the most powerful CPU available for IBM PC-300PL at that time. There were also 400, 350 and Celeron versions with different AGP and DIMM slots config. Some extra megahertz are not worth ruining the beasty configuration it originally came in.

Considering AGP card, this desktop case can only accept cards of special form-factor, like this ATi Rage Pro:
0_c8d5f_43e8c4c3_orig.jpg
0_c8d60_f429060a_orig.jpg

Notice the short double metal plane and the empty lower left courner. This means I would have to find a Voodoo 3 card like this, which is a little more complicated than just getting a good V3:
v32000.jpg

And besides, I was always crazy about V2SLI and I don't think the V3 would add much performance.

Considering games, I have completed Dethkarz... Twice 😁 And I just installed Rollcage. It was released a year later than Dethkarz, but it's nowhere near as impressive. Perhaps, I'll get used to it 😀

Reply 15 of 59, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found some more pictures! I took them long ago and forgot they ever existed. This is what it looked like when I first removed the cover (and Voodoo). Took me an hour to take it apart, I'm not used to dealing with OEM cases 😀
P1010413.JPG
And here's a common and still very cool Voodoo 2. The secon one is exact similar.
P1010417.JPG

Reply 17 of 59, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope. A voodoo3 2000 is around equal (with an older processor) and a little bit faster with a newer, and a v3 3k and 3,5k are faster for sure.
But not so faster that the gamers expected back then. 😉

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 18 of 59, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw a few of those weird form factor graphics cards at the thrift store recently. So they're not that hard to find. Nobody wants them, anyway 🤣

I think the V3 2000 with "removable" s-video part is quite common, too. I got one just like that. Didn't know that was meant for these weird desktop cases though.

You certainly won't notice any speed difference between V2SLI and V3 cards on a P2-450. The small performance difference (if it even exists) also does not outweigh the benefit of having a good integrated 2D core + GUI acceleration, IMO.

Reply 19 of 59, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Considering S3, as far as I know, Virge GX/2 was the last card to support S3D. And S3Trio is not useless at all, it's got 8Mb of memory and works at resolutions up to 1600x1200. It's not bad for a buisness 2D card.

Agreed on the business card point, I meant it's not necessarily completely useless for 3D.
About S3D: I haven't tried this personally, but according to this posts it might not be completely hopeless:
Re: S3 VIRGE Tv out in dos.
Re: S3 VIRGE Terminal velocity in dos.

Of course for best compatibility I'd go for a DX or GX, but since you already have the chip on-board this might be an interesting option, even if not actually useful. (If you can switch the video in BIOS, that is. If the S3 chip can't be activated without physically removing the other video card it's not that helpful.)