First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My thoughts:

memory slow (But good 'nuff)
CDR slow (Got my Liteon 48x for $90+)
IBM HD 60GXP (Scarryy...watch those drives closely...especially in RAID 0...Hope you have a BACKUP!)

Everything else looks good! 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How the fuck is PC-2100 RAM slow? You need a 333MHz bus for anything higher than 2600.

I got my CD-R*W* almost a year ago. 24x writable was top-of-the-line then, and I didn't really need a super fast CD burner. Besides, really fast burns can cause discs to go bad more easily.

My drives are all separated by one HDD slot each and they have two fans running at 7000RPM around them. I stuck my hand in there and the drives were running quite coolly. The BIG problem with the IBM Deskstar drives ISN'T with the platters, it's with the actual chips on the drive getting too hot and either burning out or separating from the board.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay you mentioned OCing...but I don't see that much of an OC and the memory you listed didn't specify brand or CAS type.

How the fuck is PC-2100 RAM slow? You need a 333MHz bus for anything higher than 2600.

Not if your OCing....unless you underclocked your memory settings....

Okay...but 3 of my IBM (2 60gb and 1 100gb) died in about 1yr and they were barely warm to the touch. (2 fans in front sucking air away)

1 Maxtor 100gb DMA/133 (Probly just a fluke tho)

Currently running WD 120GB and the 60gb IBM that houses my games is starting to worry me. (Seems to be getting louder and during the HPT scan it freezes when checking the IBM....could be an IBM/HPT compatibily prob but like I said this HD is making me nervous)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too have had an IBM 60GB GXP hard drive, and had it fail... I knew it was time to replace it when one day I tried to do defrag, and I got an error message saying that it was about time to replace it, since there were too many bad sectors for it too defrag, hehe. Fortunatly, I didn't loose anything I cared about! 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Coming soon are four 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X drives that I am going to put in a RAID-5 array using a FastTrak SX4000. Speed and redundancy and double the space and liquid bearings. Sweeeet.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 11, by Waxxxz018

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice Setup Snover! I agree that Seagates Beat Maxtor by a long shot, but they are reliable for a couple of years if ya dont push em' to hard! 🤣
The one I have is pretty reliable though. but ya have to spend a bundle to get a good one!

Check out my Setup its not too bad....

My Desktop & Mobile Toys

let me know what ya think!

😵 Waxxxz018 😵

---"Nothings Impossible!!! It Can Be Done!!! It's Just A Damn PC!!! Show It Who's Boss Man!!!"---