Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 540, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
the dot pitch of larger CRTs is usually very low as most of them at that size are the higher end models that each brand produced […]
Show full quote
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

I love 21" CRTs and I love my 30" LED.

Yes, but pixels in old games look larger on large screen monitors as far as I know. I don't even want to imagine how Diablo 1 looks on a 21 inch monitor 😀

the dot pitch of larger CRTs is usually very low as most of them at that size are the higher end models that each brand produced...If you have a dot pitch of at least 0.28mm with a 21 inch crt...(some of my crts have a 0.25mm dot pitch which is razor sharp)...everything looks pretty sharp and pixels are not as big as you think. I have a Samsung 22 inch, a Dell with sony trinitron tube, 3 sun microsystems 22" with sony trinitron tube as well, and a sony 21" and all of them display games beautifully. ..I also love the fact that my large sony crts can go from displaying 320x200 retro dos games all the way up to 2048x1156 at 60hz for more recent windows stuff...love all that real estate!
I wouldn't worry about any game looking pixelated on my larger crts...I don't think Diablo would look bad at all. In fact I bet it would be so much better to play it on a larger screen.

In this case, trust me, bigger is better...The only limiting factor IMO is the actual gargantuan size of these larger monitors on my desk...sometimes I have to opt for a smaller crt just because of this, not because of the quality.

don't forget ,you can force higher resolutions and refresh rates if the CRT can handle it. my P992 will do some stupid high 1920x1440 or 2304x1440 i forget which one.

Reply 261 of 540, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Landed myself with a gorgeous Apple Studio 21" CRT

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 262 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this beauty for free the other day! It's a Samsung Syncmaster 753df and it's max resolution is 1280x1024.
(I don't know how you guys take such nice pictures of your computers while the screen is on, my camera hates monitors.)

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84emif.jpg

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84emio.jpg

At first I was very skeptical about how much of a real difference a CRT was going to make (Since it's been since 2008 that I last used a CRT) on my old system but when my Packard booted to the desktop I was amazed at how much better everything looked. Gone were those horrible jagged edges, this CRT breathed life into the old interface. Now honestly, it's still a bit too modern for me and it's picture clarity is way too good for DOS games. But on almost every game I played I noticed a huge difference from playing on the LCD. Games like Dark Forces and Doom seem more 3D while games like The Dig are much more vibrant. It's hard to explain but all in all I am so glad I rediscovered the joys of using a CRT. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 263 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also I noticed a few others had posted old CRT televisions they use for their retro consoles. Well folks, I present my 1976 Zenith Solid State Portable TV. It's black and white only but that doesn't stop me from playing some Pong on it with my Tournament 2000 or hooking it to a VHS player so I can watch old silent films on it. 🤣

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84eyhh.jpg

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84eyh5.jpg

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d84eyh9.jpg

I can of course also hook any of my old home computers to it, Vic-20, Commodore 64, PCjr etc. I can even use it to play Atari, Intellevision or NES if I wanted to. 🤣

Reply 265 of 540, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Filename
2004Toshiba.jpg
File size
469.95 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
I got this when I was about 15 or so when I realized that the TV I had previously sucked due to only having RF, so by sheer chance I managed to get probably the last generation of CRT TVs. It has Composite, Component, RF, S-Video, a headphone jack. It's what I use for my consoles. I don't have room for yet another television for newer HD games, so I haven't bothered with new video games.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
2002Sony.jpg
File size
686.64 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Family TV. If my parents had a warehouse full of rat's asses, they wouldn't give a single one about LCDs, 16:9, 1080p, etc. As far as they are concerned if it works they keep it...end of story. I try to explain why everything is letterboxed, why certain things are cut off, why playing Xbox 360 on it sucks for my brother, the benefits of a lower electricity bill, streaming media, etc. They won't have it....I've even offered to buy the TV myself, and I got a big nope....usually when I ask, the reply is, "how are we going to get rid of it?" and I say "the same way the rest of the neighborhood did back in 2006..." So yeah, this beast isn't going anywhere, but it plays N64 really well so that's nice.
File license
Filename
1985colorZenith.jpg
File size
707.6 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
In 2004 when my family moved into our current house, this was perched upon a wall-mounted stand in the basement. It works, pretty much the same as the older Zenith, but it is in color and has some more options via the front panel. NES, SNES, Sega all play fine, except the NES has crappy buzzy sound.
File license
Filename
1983BWZenith.jpg
File size
727.92 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Taken from grandmother's basement when she sold house, still works fine. I've played NES, SNES, Sega, etc on it....though sound on the NES is horribly buzzy, don't know if it's the NES or the TV, some games like Megaman can be somewhat challenging without color.
File license

Reply 266 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's just how the NES was. I remember it doing that with many of my old TV's.
Since I'm now not using the switch box at all (I just either use composite or a straight line from the rca jack on the back of the NES to a f-jack rca converter screwed into the tv) I don't seem to have any issues with buzzing or clarity so maybe try and eliminate that since it might be giving extra interference.

Reply 267 of 540, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I think it's just how the NES was. I remember it doing that with many of my old TV's.
Since I'm now not using the switch box at all (I just either use composite or a straight line from the rca jack on the back of the NES to a f-jack rca converter screwed into the tv) I don't seem to have any issues with buzzing or clarity so maybe try and eliminate that since it might be giving extra interference.

Using the NES without the splitter box actually works?

It causes a problem on my late 70s/early 80s Rank Arena TV because of the DC bias (I think). It works fine with the splitter box though. Maybe the American NES is different to the Mattel NES.

Here's the little guy:

vFRhmfCl.jpg

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2014-11-01, 01:44. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 268 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We also don't have any Analog TV channels anymore so there is nothing for the old TV's to tune in on. I figured if I could go straight from my C64 to the TV with no interference it would be safe for the NES and it turned out it was. The model I used was the front loading kind, I have 2 of them and both work great without the switch.

Also, I'm using a 90's Sharp tv that I use as a monitor for my C64 and other 80's home computers.

Reply 269 of 540, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We have since lost our analogue services. That picture was taken some time ago.

I guess I have some experimentation to do!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 270 of 540, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

where i'm from you can get a converter box that down samples. it actually improves the picture but, cuts of part of the sides which really doesn't' matter too muhc unless your watching a game and score gets cut off.

Reply 271 of 540, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMG_20141108_160913458.jpg

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 272 of 540, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a recent acquisition, a 2001 Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u. It was a Craigslist freebie and I'm glad it was as the picture shifts side to side ever so slightly. Brightness and contrast are fantastic, and there's no visible burn in, it's just that jiggling picture that's annoying.

Attachments

• Filename
    2060u.jpg
    File size
    795.81 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 274 of 540, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, too bad the local craigslist here is mostly pentium 4 +

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 275 of 540, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't got a photo, but just replaced my main monitor (an AST 5N 13.5" from '96), with a 2004 Dell E773p I got free from work. Nice 16", a handsome looking monitor if not a bit inconspicuous due to it being black. Mint condition, probably barely used. No darkness on it at all. The old AST I needed gamma correction from 0.5-0.75 over 1 (it has been used every day in my posession, that must be well over 15 years (and that's conservative estimate). The higher resolution means my graphics card on my main desktop is being used > the CPU more, meaning I can possibly say I have better performance in games like GTA4 et al! I am pleased! 😊

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 276 of 540, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That`s my Fujitsu-Siemens 21P3:

Zdjęcie0146.jpg
Filename
Zdjęcie0146.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 279 of 540, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nahkri wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Diablo! 😀

Diablo 2 😜

And that Diablo 2 is without expansion, and that look very good on that monitor, also old games like Wolfenstein3d or Doom look also good and far better than on any LCD 😀

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel