VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 540, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah IPS monitors generally don't do more than 60 Hz. The exception here are screens designed for 3D usage where it inserts black frames to display up to a fake 120 Hz, I have such a screen on a Sony Vaio notebook. When set to 120 Hz the fluidity is insane in games compared to a regular 60 Hz LCD, almost headache inducing... well I'm not even 100% sure if it's an IPS display, but the characteristics strongly hint at it (excellent viewing angles w/o inverted colors at all, typical bad IPS blacks, heavy AG coating).

A big problem is also how most modern widescreens don't offer a correct aspect ratio option for 320x200 signals, just stretching the image horizontally in full screen instead. And even then for 640x480 stuff I prefer an old 15" LCD after doing comparisons, the scaling simply looks better there compared to an oversized modern monitor... nothing beats a decent CRT however 😀

Reply 81 of 540, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spent $120 last week recycling CRT montors. Yes, they were all broken. Everything from a 15" Sony VGA that displayed only in red, to a Samsung Slimfit TV with a bad flyback. RIP CRTs.

I kept everything that worked. A widescreen Slimfit TV, an NEC FP2141SB (though it has its problems), and a 32" Sony Trinitron Wega TV. Oh, and all my Tandy and Commodore CRTs.

Reply 82 of 540, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
vetz wrote:

I'll test my Dell Ultrasharp with Mario and Jazz Jack Rabbit (if they are OK?) 😀 So far it's been very cooperative in DOS (and it has a 4:3 setting)

That would be nice! 😀
Another simple test is Ziff PC Magazine's old smooth-scrolling file listing utility SMOOTH.COM (download link). When you scroll a long text file, dropped frames and blurry fringes become easily noticeable.

I made these two videos.

DELL U2412M ULTRASHARP 24" VGA Input
MARIO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/ … verse/00108.MTS
SMOOTH (the other monitor is my Samsung SyncMaster 940N): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/ … verse/00111.MTS

I dunno how bad/good my Dell IPS monitor is compared to others.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 83 of 540, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
I made these two videos. […]
Show full quote

I made these two videos.

DELL U2412M ULTRASHARP 24" VGA Input
MARIO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/ … verse/00108.MTS
SMOOTH (the other monitor is my Samsung SyncMaster 940N): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57506833/ … verse/00111.MTS

I dunno how bad/good my Dell IPS monitor is compared to others.

Thanks for looking into this and making the videos, but I'm afraid it is not possible to gain any insights from a camera video, since it is not synced to the output and has a much lower frame rate (all the output looks jerky as hell in the video, but that's probably not what it looks like in reality... 😉).

Since you seem to have both the U2412M and the 940N on a splitter, did you notice any difference between those two monitors?

Reply 84 of 540, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 940N is smoother than the U2412M, especially in SMOOTH.COM (which I even can see in the video).

In Mario it is less noticeable. I would probably not think about it if I wasn't aware of it.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 85 of 540, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

The 940N is smoother than the U2412M, especially in SMOOTH.COM (which I even can see in the video).

In Mario it is less noticeable. I would probably not think about it if I wasn't aware of it.

Thanks for reporting! So this means that the U2412M is like any other IPS monitor.
I always wondered why nobody ever notices these 70 Hz scrolling problems, could it be that most people do not care?

Reply 86 of 540, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do...

It's fundamentally the same in DOSBox afaik, so you would think that more would notice it, but when you don't know how it's supposed to look correctly it's not all that obvious 😀

Edit: I just tried your utility out, and on my 15" TN with real 70 Hz it looks perfectly smooth as expected. Then with "fake" 119 Hz on my notebook it looks not too bad, 75 Hz (still with black frames) looks worse, and 60 Hz on my main IPS monitor looks the worst. BFI does more good than I thought...

Reply 87 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well I finally managed to fix this Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 750 a bit, its not perfect (there is still slight discoloration on the top right) , but its much better than it was before and actually usable.

the camera used wasn't the greatest but it will do

King's Quest, the oldest game I have for the PC
P2110038_zpsf9d3cd86.jpg

this is Quake 2 on the monitor's max resolution of 1600X1200 on a Voodoo3 , fairly playable, but not ideal since it slows down quite a bit

P2110041_zps2d279bd5.jpg

Reply 88 of 540, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If anyone comes across one of those rare 10" VGA monitors (or anything under 14") and want to sell it, let me know! I can't seem to find anything like this: http://www.miraclebusiness.com/mt310.htm

Reply 89 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

If anyone comes across one of those rare 10" VGA monitors (or anything under 14") and want to sell it, let me know! I can't seem to find anything like this: http://www.miraclebusiness.com/mt310.htm

Very cool. If you want a CRT smaller than 14", I think you should direct your attention to IBM or other POS (Point of Sale)/Cash Register systems when searching on the web or locally...I used to see a lot of Black and White ones up for sale at a local computer repair place about 10 years ago, but have not seen one since. They are definitely hard to find, but I believe you can get one cheap if someone has a POS system that doesn't work anymore and the monitor is OK.

Good luck. Please post pics here if you find anything!

Reply 91 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

interesting CRT find , I very recently found an Apple Studio Display 17inch CRT (graphite colour) , this is the one with the standard VGA connection so it works fine on a PC. it also works properly (wheres the Mitsubishi monitor was still giving me some issues, including bits of the plastic shell randomly falling of it and sparks around the edge of the screen, eventually I got my money back so no loss there)

excuse my lack of a quality camera , this thing is an aperture grille (diamondtron , so internally its probably not that different to the Mitsubishi) , very sharp too, 1600X1200.

Picture79_zpsf5d0f19e.jpg

only annoying issue is that the screen has some marks on it (just some finger prints and such) , what do you guys use to clean your CRTs? this thing has an anti glare coating, so obviously I can't use anything that would damage it (I do have a microfiber cloth for LCDs)

Reply 93 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

it's like looking at screenshots, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788 < all that CRT goodness.

Congrats...It's a thing of beauty...$400 is a little steep, but I would probably pay that too on a good day if this was going to be my only monitor I would use for everything...they are not easy to find these days.

Can you take a picture of the back of the monitor as well? I know they are really heavy and hard to maneuver, so if you can't I totally understand! 🤣

Are there BNC connectors and analog DVI connector on the back to go along with regular 15pin VGA port?

**EDIT: SORRY just noticed that there indeed is a photo in the link you provided of the back of the CRT. No need for a photo.

Reply 95 of 540, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
Congrats...It's a thing of beauty...$400 is a little steep, but I would probably pay that too on a good day if this was going to […]
Show full quote
cdoublejj wrote:

it's like looking at screenshots, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788 < all that CRT goodness.

Congrats...It's a thing of beauty...$400 is a little steep, but I would probably pay that too on a good day if this was going to be my only monitor I would use for everything...they are not easy to find these days.

Can you take a picture of the back of the monitor as well? I know they are really heavy and hard to maneuver, so if you can't I totally understand! 🤣

Are there BNC connectors and analog DVI connector on the back to go along with regular 15pin VGA port?

**EDIT: SORRY just noticed that there indeed is a photo in the link you provided of the back of the CRT. No need for a photo.

it's not mine it's just me drooling of over some pictures. i should have stated so.

Reply 97 of 540, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

Let me put my CRT in here too. It's a Hitachi CM772e. It does 1600x1200@85Hz.

That's brutal!

My IBM P260 does 1600x1200 @ 97Hz

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 98 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maverick85 wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

Let me put my CRT in here too. It's a Hitachi CM772e. It does 1600x1200@85Hz.

That's brutal!

My IBM P260 does 1600x1200 @ 97Hz

105Hz here...
What do I win? 🤣

Reply 99 of 540, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

Well there's the SGI InterView 28hd96 used by John Carmack. It's a 16:9, 28" flat shadow mask tube, with a maximum resolution of 2042x1152 at 80 Hz. Horizontal dot pitch is only 0.278mm though, but still very impressive for a 1995 tube.

That's actually Intergraph, not SGI. They show up on ebay once in a while but the shipping charge is usually outrageous and is by freight carrier only. Freight carriers typically won't deliver something that big to an address without a loading dock which means you have to pick it up at the depot and if you live in a remote area where the nearest freight depot is far away, that can be an expensive and time consuming trip. The hassles involved with shipping are the only reason why I don't have one already.