VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

one would think so , but obviously no , the distance it traveled was about 400 miles , and it was well packed ,which only leads me to the conclusion that UPS were using it as a football.

if anyone has an idea of how to fix this, I would be happy to hear it, since otherwise its actually a pretty good monitor. degaussing does decrease the effect, but it doesn't solve it, especially the heavily affected area at the top right of the screen

if I turn it upside down , the area affected changes, decreasing a bit.

Picture69_zps4e34dc93.jpg

Reply 42 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you move a CRT too far north or south this can happen due to differences in the earth's magnetic field. But you shouldn't see this effect if it traveled only 400 miles.

Try opening it up, see if there's anything loose or misaligned around the CRT neck. There's usually a line of paint over the coils, magnets and stuff so you can see if anything was moved.

Reply 43 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know....I remember being told a number of times never to open a CRT unless one knows exactly what he is doing...

I can take apart and sort out a PC or a console quite easily, a CRT Im not so sure about.

Reply 44 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as you don't touch anything you should be fine. At least you can check for obvious damage when it's open. If you can spot anything wrong there, leave it unplugged for a day or so. All dangerous voltages should be gone by then.

The high voltage on the CRT itself is not all that dangerous, just very painful. The big caps on the circuit board are! DO NOT ever touch anything on the circuit board.
For better safety, wear rubber boots and keep one hand in your pocket at all times.

Reply 45 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

now that I think about it, I did hear something rattling inside the monitor beforehand , it sounded fairly small. makes me worried its something on the circuit board itself thats come off, in which case, as you said, Im not touching it.

since its late today , I will leave the monitor unplugged until tommorow , then I may open it

shame because the picture itself, colour issues aside is great, way better than the somewhat smeared look my LCD gives to most games below 1024X768+., it also doesn't suffer from widescreen obviously (my LCD can go into a 4:3 mode, but only in non widescreen resolutions, and since it upscales all 320X200 games to 720X400 , it doesn't work on the low res games)

Reply 47 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

interesting thing happened , I left the monitor standing (and unplugged) for about 9 hours and decided to turn it on again to see if there are any changes before I resort to opening it up , the picture looks different now

Picture74_zps1ed433f2.jpg

if one compares it to the first picture (as opposed to the 2nd one where it was upside down) , the affected area has been reduced

any idea what is going on with?

Reply 48 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

interesting thing happened , I left the monitor standing (and unplugged) for about 9 hours and decided to turn it on again to see if there are any changes before I resort to opening it up , the picture looks different now
if one compares it to the first picture (as opposed to the 2nd one where it was upside down) , the affected area has been reduced

I did a quick search on google on "CRT repair" and a lot of results showed up...give it a try and look around...there's a bunch of diagrams that come up too that give you a "crash course" in CRT 'anatomy'.

I know that the Mitsubishi CRT is a really sweet monitor....actually, I think they are some of the best, but it may be time to send this one to retro heaven and hunt for another CRT. It is not too hard to find a nice used CRT if you look around, but I guess it depends where you are located. But if you don't want to give up fixing it, I totally understand...if I had a Mitsubishi, I probably would try all I could to fix it before I say 'adios'.

I had a few sony trinitrons (22") and they started to go soft and colors just didn't look right...I think they were just old and saw a lot of use in their lifetime (I got them used)....I had to get rid of them, but it was not easy saying goodbye 😢 .

Reply 49 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sadly no matter how much Ive looked, I can't find a CRT locally, certainly not one of this quality, and I have looked for quite a while.

and you are absolutely right, colour issue aside, the picture quality itself is great, very sharp , low res looks great , and the monitor is capable of a max res of 1600X1200 , so its certainly a good monitor if I can get it fixed.

otherwise its back to HD LCD land.

Reply 51 of 540, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

The magnetisation will get weaker over time, but if the built-in degaussing coil can't get rid of it right away, it will take a very long time to vanish. What would help is an external degaussing coil, but these are not exactly easy to find (they are rather easy to build, but this would be a lot more dangerous than opening the CRT if you don't know what you are doing). If you know a TV repair shop that once in their lifetime serviced CRT TVs, chances are high that you could get help there.

Reply 52 of 540, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:
one would think so , but obviously no , the distance it traveled was about 400 miles , and it was well packed ,which only leads […]
Show full quote

one would think so , but obviously no , the distance it traveled was about 400 miles , and it was well packed ,which only leads me to the conclusion that UPS were using it as a football.

if anyone has an idea of how to fix this, I would be happy to hear it, since otherwise its actually a pretty good monitor. degaussing does decrease the effect, but it doesn't solve it, especially the heavily affected area at the top right of the screen

if I turn it upside down , the area affected changes, decreasing a bit.

Picture69_zps4e34dc93.jpg

Is it weird that I thought there was Mac OS running on the screen?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 53 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Darkman wrote:

The magnetisation will get weaker over time, but if the built-in degaussing coil can't get rid of it right away, it will take a very long time to vanish. What would help is an external degaussing coil, but these are not exactly easy to find (they are rather easy to build, but this would be a lot more dangerous than opening the CRT if you don't know what you are doing). If you know a TV repair shop that once in their lifetime serviced CRT TVs, chances are high that you could get help there.

there may well be a shop around here (or at least a technician I can call) , however I have to take into consideration that it might cost more to repair than it did to buy the monitor (logically it shouldn't , but not everybody are honest)

a bit of a dilemma, how long is "very long"? days? weeks?

Reply 54 of 540, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

there may well be a shop around here (or at least a technician I can call) , however I have to take into consideration that it might cost more to repair than it did to buy the monitor (logically it shouldn't , but not everybody are honest)

The degaussing process only takes a few minutes, so if they are nice, it should not cost very much.

Darkman wrote:

a bit of a dilemma, how long is "very long"? days? weeks?

It depends on how strongly the shadow mask was magnetized, but my estimate would rather be several months or even years.

Reply 56 of 540, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There may be a difference, but the principle is the same. I once had a Samsung 959nf CRT that got magnetized so badly that some wires of the aperture grille stuck together. It was possible to set it right again with a self-built degaussing wand, so it really should be a piece of cake for a repair shop.

Reply 57 of 540, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I scored a 15" FD Trinitron for free: CTX PR500F! Nice little buddy, resolution up to 1280x1024. At 1024x768 the image quality is surprisingly very good.
9e4f26570db13ccbddc03e6230a1e3e407f6d61b.jpg
P1020880.JPG

Reply 58 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

There may be a difference, but the principle is the same. I once had a Samsung 959nf CRT that got magnetized so badly that some wires of the aperture grille stuck together. It was possible to set it right again with a self-built degaussing wand, so it really should be a piece of cake for a repair shop.

well the state of this monitor is not as bad as what you described, but I will see what I can do.

Reply 59 of 540, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let me put my CRT in here too. It's a Hitachi CM772e. It does 1600x1200@85Hz.

pc1_zpsb860d1c5.jpg

pc3_zps4a31132b.jpg

pc2_zpsfd485cf4.jpg

pc6_zpse73eba12.jpg

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS