VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure I had some pics of Diablo 2 on my low-dpi HP but I can't seem to find them. The phosphors on this screen (green and blue especially) are a bit worn out so the gamma is way off and darker hues turn out a bit reddish-purple. Somehow this looks absolutely gorgeous with Diablo 2 so I always disabled gamma correction for this game specifically 😀

Reply 281 of 540, by pojo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up this very nice Dell 19-inch for free! I think the model is M990.

Sharp picture and quite compact for display size 😀 I will use it between my Slot1 machine and the Macintosh.

Attachments

Reply 282 of 540, by Deflektor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Best CRT EVER. 17 inch Sony Trinitron g200. Bought it recently.

IMG_5299.JPG
Filename
IMG_5299.JPG
File size
954.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've tested a shit load of crt's for my purposes. To me - 15-inch shadow mask actually never got that "true-dos-look". 19-inch is crap for lower resolutions. But 17-inch aperture grill is great for everything, imho.

Here some other stuff that i bought, but it didn't satisfy. Also got samsung 959nf and iiyama master vision pro 454 for my second socket a setup, but they being repaired right now.

IMG_5314.JPG
Filename
IMG_5314.JPG
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 284 of 540, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

I picked up 7 CRTs last week. Down to 6 this week. Down to 4 tomorrow. The only one I will keep is a Dell Trinitron. 🤣

The other 6 were crappy generic brands and pretty poor quality. Plus they take up too much space. 😀

I have a dell trinitron p990 1600x1200 @120hz and i love it wish i new some calibration settings

Reply 285 of 540, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

120Hz? That's high for a 19 inchers... my Sony G420s can only go max 87Hz at 1600x1200 I think.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 286 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just pulled this out of the trash a couple days ago! I finally have a matching Packard Bell monitor for my Platinum 55. 😁

dsc06068_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-da9b2u5.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 287 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Just pulled this out of the trash a couple days ago! I finally have a matching Packard Bell monitor for my Platinum 55. 😁

Very nice find King_Corduroy! Do the speakers work?

I've been looking for a similar monitor for my Packard Bell as well. I do have another PB CRT that's in good shape but I like this one with the speakers.

Reply 288 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep works perfectly. 😁 I had to clean it up and adjust the colours etc but now everything works like new.

Reply 289 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yep works perfectly. 😁 I had to clean it up and adjust the colours etc but now everything works like new.

That's great!

I'm curious if I have the same CRT but without the speakers attached because my CRT looks very similar. Is it possible that the speakers were just not attached to mine or are they built in and cannot be removed?

Reply 290 of 540, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There should be two holes on either side where they would attach. The speakers are held in with screws with plastic spacers. You can indeed remove the speakers, and they aren't (or shouldn't be) too hard to find on eBay, plus any old 9V 1000mA adapter will power them. 😁

Most people took the speakers off since they were decent and kept them long after the monitor konked out (since they were pretty generally cheap and shoddy)

Reply 291 of 540, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this little guy locally a few days ago. Thomson CGA monitor, was apparently stored in a kitchen for years - it smells really bad! 😵

I already spent quite some time cleaning it but I need to do it more. Amazingly though, it still works, even if the colors are probably not as bright as they were when it was in its prime.

aZ7zxxbl.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 292 of 540, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zenith 286.JPG
Filename
zenith 286.JPG
File size
554.62 KiB
Views
File license

P97 Monitor hooked up to my 286.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 293 of 540, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The photo is a bit crap, but here's my Nokia 920C, manufactured in August 2000 by ViewSonic (I think):

nokia.jpg
Filename
nokia.jpg
File size
148.57 KiB
Views
File license

It's 19", max 1600x1200 at 76 hz, .22 dot pitch. Really good monitor. Very sharp, good geometry, capable of solid refresh rates. Back in the day, Nokia monitors had a well-deserved top-notch reputation (at least here in Scandinavia; I remember them always being near the top in monitor tests in computer mags).

This is the only VGA CRT I have left these days. I would like to find something older and smaller for my 486 system but as you guys have noticed it's hard to even find them in dumpsters these days...

Reply 294 of 540, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
einr wrote:
The photo is a bit crap, but here's my Nokia 920C, manufactured in August 2000 by ViewSonic (I think): […]
Show full quote

The photo is a bit crap, but here's my Nokia 920C, manufactured in August 2000 by ViewSonic (I think):

nokia.jpg

It's 19", max 1600x1200 at 76 hz, .22 dot pitch. Really good monitor. Very sharp, good geometry, capable of solid refresh rates. Back in the day, Nokia monitors had a well-deserved top-notch reputation (at least here in Scandinavia; I remember them always being near the top in monitor tests in computer mags).

This is the only VGA CRT I have left these days. I would like to find something older and smaller for my 486 system but as you guys have noticed it's hard to even find them in dumpsters these days...

Nice! I have always wanted a Nokia monitor, but most of those were used primarily in businesses, and as such have been used so much I wouldn't want to buy one and have it blow in the first week 🤣

8zszli-6.png

Reply 295 of 540, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an NEC Multisync XP17 sitting around... it's too big for my desk (which is not deep enough). Trippy GIF testing the monitor here https://gfycat.com/ClassicPepperyDrever

Here is a picture of the connectors (yes that's access.bus)

http://i.imgur.com/A0Fzilz.jpg

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 296 of 540, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. I was around throughout USB's introduction, but have never even heard of access.bus. It really must have bombed early on.

On the rarity side, I'll get around to posting pictures of my IBM C220p monitors. They unusually have a DVI-A connector on the back. Understandably, if a DVI-D cable is used to connect it, the monitor information can be queried but there's no image. DVI-I cables should, in theory, work but in practice only support low end resolutions. It needs to be a genuine DVI-A cable to take full advantage of the monitor.

Reply 297 of 540, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DVI-A to VGA adapters pass all the signals present on a DVI-I port to the monitor regardless. Throw on an adapter+VGA cable on the back of the monitor and connect to the VGA port. It should work, including DDC.

Reply 298 of 540, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my fully-modern i7 workstation in my office:

crts2.png
Filename
crts2.png
File size
632.84 KiB
Views
File license

...and that is a huge Mitsubishi Diamond Pro21TX that someone in the machine shop tried to throw away for no good reason. It's perfectly obnoxious and eats all the electricity and I love it. Note the coffee cup for scale.

crts3.jpg
Filename
crts3.jpg
File size
111.7 KiB
Views
File license

Rear view. Yes it sticks right out into the walkway and crates a navigational hazard. Unfortunately I had to use the VGA input because the component ones don't play nice with Linux (no Monitor ID pin means the available resolutions aren't set automatically - of course you can edit the config file to set it up yourself but it was easier just to plug into VGA) but I do have the VGA->5 BNC cable for it.

Unfortunately it's gotten a little soft and dim in its 20 years of service, but it's still fine for everyday use. I'm running it at 1280x1024x85Hz instead of its max of 1600x1200x75. This thing was a $2275 monitor new, how could I not use it??

(Fun fact: I am using it right now to post pictures of itself on here. It's like inception.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 299 of 540, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...And then of course there's this monitor in my "arcade cabinet":

DSC01046.jpg
Filename
DSC01046.jpg
File size
186.33 KiB
Views
File license

a 16x9, 1080i CRT w/DVI? Yes plz.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!