VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 540, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Magnum TV 5520 VT Stereo CRT television,using it as a TV and a monitor too.It only has SCART and RF,so I use a SCART-Composite adapter to use a PC or a console.
For a short period I had a Pentium 4 rig installed under it,and now I generally use it with a Wii,a PS1 and a VCR.
Pictures will come later.
I have to say,when I tried Abe's Oddysee on the PC,it looked really nice on the TV,while on my LCD it looks just UGLY.
EDIT:Wow,after seeing this,I really feel the need to plug up my Chaintech system and run some MUGEN on it,and take some pictures.Obiviously all of this using the above Magnum TV.

Last edited by PcBytes on 2014-01-23, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 21 of 540, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 413 17" CRT.
The cool thing is that it can do 1600x1200, which for desktop usage is awful, but it looks very impressive for 3D video games. For normal usage, I usually don't go over 1024x768, it becomes a bit painful to read at higher resolutions. Other than that, a good monitor that I got for free 😀.

Here's a photo of it that I found online:

598411174.jpg

Reply 22 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maverick85 wrote:

Had a LG Studioworks 775N back in the day. Great mojnitor, shadowmask. Now I have two aperture grille monitors which I don't like, especially when playing old games like caesar iii.

I think all the CRTs I ever owed were shadowmask , is one type supposed to be better for some things than the other? ive heard aperture grille are supposed to be better for graphics , though it would be interesting to hear some opinions.

Reply 23 of 540, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

I've got an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 413 17" CRT.
The cool thing is that it can do 1600x1200, which for desktop usage is awful, but it looks very impressive for 3D video games. For normal usage, I usually don't go over 1024x768, it becomes a bit painful to read at higher resolutions. Other than that, a good monitor that I got for free 😀.

Never thought of playing 3D games at 1600x1200 on my IBM, perhaps, it's time for me to try! Does your Iiyama have 2 thin horizontal lines at resolutions higher than 1024x768? My IBM tells me it's not a misfunction but a feature.

Reply 24 of 540, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Never thought of playing 3D games at 1600x1200 on my IBM, perhaps, it's time for me to try! Does your Iiyama have 2 thin horizontal lines at resolutions higher than 1024x768? My IBM tells me it's not a misfunction but a feature.

You're going to need powerful hardware for that, depending on the game of course. But it does look gorgeous 😁.
I'm not entirely sure about the 2 lines, my monitor seems to have a weird line at any resolution, I think this is because of just how old it is. What are you referring to exactly?

Reply 25 of 540, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The faint horizontal lines are present in all aperture grille CRTs. They are necessary because the grille consists of many very fine vertical wires which have to be stabilized by one or two horizontal wires, otherwise they would start to vibrate, causing noise and a "shimmering" picture. When using low resolutions, the wires are often not visible, because they are hidden between scanlines.

Reply 28 of 540, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Monochrome displays

I have a thing for monochrome displays, with their amazing clarity due to their lack of RGB triads, high bandwidth inputs (in the case of composite video inputs) and high persistence green/amber phosphors. I've got several monitors to get my high-res monochrome fix:

Unbranded Korean TTL monochrome monitor (green phosphor) from around 1988:
moni1.jpg?w=600
CRT is in excellent shape, very bright, very sharp and no phosphor burn-in. Pure unadulterated high persistence green goodness. I've tried to snap a few pics of it in action but none of them do it any justice.
greenscreen.jpg?w=600

Amdek TTL monochrome monitor (amber phosphor) from 1983:
dscn0462.jpg?w=600
This one was in very bad shape when I found it, there's heavy spreadsheet burn-in but brightness & focus are still OK.
I've gotten replacement cables, connectors and knobs for it. There was a built-in anti-glare filter I removed for the above picture (which looks like black pantyhose mounted on a frame) but ended up putting it back because it helps conceal the phosphor burn-in.
dscn0472.jpg?w=600

Talent (rebranded Daewoo) composite monitor (green phosphor) from around 1986:
dscn0734.jpg?w=600
dscn0736.jpg?w=600
This one was sold in Argentina as a monitor for Talent MSX computers (which are just rebranded Daewoo hardware) but I don't have a working MSX. Feature wise it's pretty nice: built-in amplified speaker, automatic 50/60Hz vertical scan rate, low persistence green phosphor and a high bandwidth video input (chroma info is unfiltered). I don't have a picture of this one in action, but when driven from composite mono CGA or the Luminance(Y) channel from a C64, SNES or other console it looks amazing, pixels are so razor sharp you've gotta watch your fingers. 🤣

I also have a 12" monochrome VGA monitor I picked up for dirt cheap at an office equipment auction more than 13 years ago, but being young and stupid I decided at one time to spray paint it black:
dtk_front.jpg?w=600
dtk_back.jpg?w=600
As years have passed the paint has been flaking off and I now totally regret what I did to it. I've tried stripping the paint off using brake fluid and the results have been quite good:
front_after.jpg?w=600
top_after.jpg?w=600
...but as you can see there are some areas where the paint has lodged deep into the plastic and short of destroying it with sandpaper or acetone I can't seem to get it out. I got disappointed and the plastic case has been sitting outside ever since. 😢

Color displays

I'm not too much into color VGA displays as I am into monochrome ones or CRT TVs since save for a few corner cases I consider them effectively replaced by LCDs, but I still keep some around.

14" IBM SVGA monitor:
dscn0975s.jpg?w=600
A recent find, you can read all about it here if you haven't.

I'm also working on a late 1992 Samsung VGA monitor (coarse dot pitch) a friend brought me from Argentina. Judging from the dirt and corrosion I found on the inside I believe it had been left sitting outside for years. It's too early to say if it's too far gone but I'll try my best. 😀

Other CRT monitors I own but don't have pictures at hand:

• 19" Dell P992 which I use for 3D shutter glasses due to its high vertical refresh rate.
  • 14" AOC Spectrum 4V from the first PC I could call my own, now blurry and badly yellowed.
  • 14" LG StudioWorks 500G from the second PC I could cally my own, somewhat yellowed.
  • 14" Samsung SyncMaster 591s I used for my retro machines until the IBM came along.
  • 14" Apple Performa Plus Display. Fixed 640x480 @ 70Hz, composite sync. Considering getting rid of it.
  • Some LG 17" I 'converted' to resistive touch screen.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 29 of 540, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All these awesome pictures are making me want to start a serious CRT collection. However...

Problem 1: CRTs are becoming very hard to "shop" for. A few years ago when everyone was making the switch to LCDs, you could easily find good CRTs in dumpsters (that's how I got my current CRT). Nowadays, though, you're more likely to find last-gen LCDs in dumpsters. Most CRTs are long gone. Of course there are some on Craigslist, but those are always iffy. And then there are new-in-box CRTs on eBay which cost a fortune to ship.

Problem 2: For apartment dwellers like me, a large CRT collection is prohibitively bulky.

Do you guys have any advice on how to find good quality, lightly-used or new CRTs in 2014? (There's probably no immediate solution for problem 2, haha.)

PCGames9505

Reply 30 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as promised, a pic of my 4:3 version of the GDM-FW900

IMG-20140119-00239.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140119-00239.jpg
File size
65.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also some of my other CRT's

I have 3 13" trinitron monitors that I will be setting up as console gaming monitors (component inputs!)

IMG-20140119-00240.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140119-00240.jpg
File size
31.12 KiB
Views
File license

NEC multisync 15" - I have the original box for this one and matching NEC computer and mouse and speakers. It's in amazing shape for it's age. I'm not a big fan of the smaller CRTs...I prefer to use a larger CRT for the most part, but still like having the smaller ones also.

IMG-20140119-00238.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140119-00238.jpg
File size
43.1 KiB
Views
File license

This is my newest acquisition...a 22" (20" viewable) ThinkVision C220p IBM CRT giant. I tested this out after picking it up for $15. It works perfectly and has the sharpest image of any of my CRT's so far. I love having the dual VGA and Analog DVI inputs and being able to switch between 2 sources with a press of one button.

IMG-20140125-00258.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140125-00258.jpg
File size
43.75 KiB
Views
File license
IMG-20140122-00242.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140122-00242.jpg
File size
44.62 KiB
Views
File license

I have 3 of these SUN Microsystems CRT's (with Sony trinitron tubes). These actually are some of the largest computer CRT monitors I have ever seen.
Specs (source: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=355673):
21" FD Trinitron (True Flat Screen) Tube, 19.8" Viewable
0.24mm Dot Pitch
2048 x 1536 @ 75Hz Maximum Resolution (1600x1200 @ 100Hz looks GREAT)
Timing Data Table (TDT) - 28 modes, User-Adjustable - 15 settings
Dual VGA Video inputs (Or remove the cable adapter to connect to a Sun/SGI workstation with 13w3)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 19.72x 20 x 19.88

Last edited by retrofanatic on 2014-04-11, 00:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 540, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stull wrote:

The one on the right makes me very nervous! 😉

that brown/rusty bit is solid steel.

Man i'd really like to get a GDM-FW900.

@133MHz i'd give it a new coat of black paint for plastic after sanding it smooth or maybe try that plastic dye stuff.

Reply 33 of 540, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my CRT; NEC Multisync FE2111SB-BK. 22" of wonderful 4:3 goodness. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it in my setup; plan on taking lots of pics once I get my office set back up; had to remodel for nursery! 😀

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16824002040

Attachments

http://www.hudson187.com

Reply 34 of 540, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hudson187 wrote:

This is my CRT; NEC Multisync FE2111SB-BK. 22" of wonderful 4:3 goodness. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it in my setup; plan on taking lots of pics once I get my office set back up; had to remodel for nursery! 😀

WOAH! is that a rebranded FW900?

Reply 35 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:
Hudson187 wrote:

no.

Reply 36 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

check out maximus's post on the first page of this topic. A FW900 is a widescreet CRT, not 4:3.

Makes me wonder if there were any repackaged/rebranded FW900's? I know there were a lot of rebranded 20"-22" trinitrons like many of my CRT's I have, but I've never seen widescreen trinitrons other than Sony. Anyone ever heard of something like that?

Reply 37 of 540, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well there's the SGI InterView 28hd96 used by John Carmack. It's a 16:9, 28" flat shadow mask tube, with a maximum resolution of 2042x1152 at 80 Hz. Horizontal dot pitch is only 0.278mm though, but still very impressive for a 1995 tube.

Reply 38 of 540, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Well there's the SGI InterView 28hd96 used by John Carmack. It's a 16:9, 28" flat shadow mask tube, with a maximum resolution of 2042x1152 at 80 Hz. Horizontal dot pitch is only 0.278mm though, but still very impressive for a 1995 tube.

That's a beautiful monitor...I just saw the youtube vid of John with it...very cool (well as cool as us retro computer guys/girls can get)

Reply 39 of 540, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the good news is that I finally managed to find a decent monitor that I could get shipped to me , a 17inch Mitsubishi diamond 750SB.

bad news is that I suspect its been damaged during shipping (Thanks UPS, Im hoping the football game this was used for was fun), due to the small cracks in the shell , and the thing looking as though its magnetized, I think

Picture68_zps3e7c51b9.jpg

not quite sure how to fix it (degaussing doesn't do the trick) , and turning the monitor on its side simply shifts the green hue from one part of the screen to another

and yes I need a new camera.