VOGONS

First post, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, 'bout time I actually put a system up on VOGONS!
Truth be told, although building PCs is one of my top hobbies, its not really a hobby I put money into.
All components I have are either hand-me-downs, surplus items from school/work, dumpster dive finds, etc.
That being said, I have yet to build a dream rig, or been able to find (or replicate) my childhood PC, a Gateway2000 P5-100.
Getting close though! The main reason I built this rig is because A) I got fed up with my Socket 7 WIP, and B) I acquired tons of Slot 1 CPUs and mobos!

Anyway, first, system specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium II-400 Deschutes. Actually overclocked to 450 (4.5 x 100). However, Windows reads this as 337MHz for some reason. Something to do with the Rain software, perhaps?
Mobo: Slot-1 Asus P2B (440BX) [3 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
RAM: 1 x 256MB Micron PC100 SDRAM
Video: 16MB 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (Has both VGA and S-Video Out, but its not the TV board)
Audio: ISA Labway/Yamaha OPL3-SAx
Optical: 16x Jetway IDE DVD-ROM
HDD: 20GB WD Caviar IDE 7200rpm
FDD: NEC 3.5" Floppy
OS: Windows 98 Second Edition, stripped down with 98lite Pro 2.0 (98micro, kept DirectX)

I built this system a couple weeks ago. However, when I turned it on today, it was having its share of problems.
Apparently, the sound card I had originally installed, an AWE64, was the culprit. Dunno why, it was working fine before.
Tried reinstalling drivers, different drivers, reseating, different slot, manual IRQ config, nothing.
Decided screw it, slap in a new card. Was going to place the ESS AudioDrive I had picked up in, but noticed it lacked the 4-pin CD-Audio header on the card.
I could be recalling incorrectly, but I believe some games won't due CD Audio correctly in DOS (e.g. Quake) if this is missing. Could be wrong.
So decided to slap in an SB compatible card that also had a real OPL chip on it. Man, this OPL3-SAx is a kickass card. Good quality output. SB16 settings seem to work for some games, others need SB Pro. But all works. Even has "3D Audio" under Windows. Not A3D or EAX though, so I don't really know what it does, but cool nonetheless I suppose.

THE GUTS:
2n7o8di.jpg
OH MAN, IS THAT DUCT TAPE?

Yes, it is. Hopefully you don't cringe too badly.
Got to be honest. All of the screws I had the fit the case, made the whole thing rattle badly.
This is actually a decent solution, despite the appearance. Strong hold, keeps quiet. Good enough for me.

You may notice it says Hardware Monitor error. This particular motherboard has a "Hardware Monitor" feature for things like temperature sensors and the like.
I have disabled it with a jumper setting. The reason is because the Hardware Monitor works on the ISA bus, and I didn't want any possible IRQ/DMA conflictions, especially when it came to soundcards. Also, I've got tons of fans, its not getting hot. And with the case closed, its still pretty quiet. A little bit ago I replaced the thermal compound on the heatsink of the Voodoo card with some decent Antec stuff. Also applied a fan? Maybe I should overclock it a little? 😈
Sorry for the blurry image, I had a hard time keeping still at the time.

I wasn't terribly certain what kind of benchmarks I should run. So I went with two standards for 3D.

Final Reality 1.01
152f6th.jpg

3DMark99 MAX
35icgop.jpg

x1k41e.jpg
Man, I need a new desk. Its the Gateway case.
Its the only ATX case I have that is both beige and matte. I have one other case that is beige, but its glossy.
All of the Baby AT cases I have are beige.
Looks cramped, no? Is actually quite comfy, I assure you.

Any questions, comments, or requests, let me know.

I'm going to update the BIOS and test out some of the other CPUs. I actually have a few Pentium IIIs as well.
I have a 1.3GHz PIII-S Tualatin on a Slotket. That would be cool to get working.

Also, some ideas for next project:
*Drive on with Socket 7 build
*Socket 370 build
*Slot A build
*Socket A build (yawn)
*Look harder for Socket 2 486DX2-66 or higher (have mobo)
*Look harder for multiprocessor Slot 1/2 mobo

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 1 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Gateway case......it's beautiful.
Do a Slot A build in it.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 18, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote:

That Gateway case......it's beautiful.
Do a Slot A build in it.

I'll definitely consider it. Not sure if it will occupy the Gateway case. Maybe. Have a couple IBM and some Thermaltake cases would suffice. But I'm definitely going to hunt down some more cases this week. No 21st century Dell cases, though, despite being able to obtain tons of them. Those are god-awful, and barely ATX compliant.
I have a 700MHz Athlon in my possession at the moment (wish I had a faster one, like maybe 900). The board is a strange one, a Jabil Kadoka 4000594.

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 3 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Pentium II-450 is a deal faster. Perhaps it shows 337MHz for a reason? Can it be actually running 5x66?
3DMark99Max.bmp

btw, how about entering Phil's VGA Benchmark? Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

Reply 4 of 18, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
My Pentium II-450 is a deal faster. Perhaps it shows 337MHz for a reason? Can it be actually running 5x66? https://dl.dropboxuse […]
Show full quote

My Pentium II-450 is a deal faster. Perhaps it shows 337MHz for a reason? Can it be actually running 5x66?
3DMark99Max.bmp

btw, how about entering Phil's VGA Benchmark? Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

Would be bizarre considering the POST claims 450. I'll toy around with the FSB/clock multiplier jumper settings again. Perhaps replace the CPU.

And yes, once I get everything together and proper, I'd be happy to contribute! Its getting late though, so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Reply 5 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome rig! What state do you live in? Im located in Washington.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 18, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like it, though I wonder if that motherboard can take a Katmai , if it does, it might be worth using a 600Mhz Katmai on it, which would more or less max out that Voodoo3 (Ive noticed thats what a game like Deus Ex needs to run really smoothly).

Reply 7 of 18, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, that's a very similar machine to my slot-1 rig! I even have the same mainboard (since recently). It's in need of a recap, however.

This board takes any CPU from Deschutes to Coppermine. I even tested a 1.65V Coppermine and it seems to work fine even though it's officially unsupported below rev 1.12. The insane 150MHz FSB setting is pretty cool, too!

Reply 8 of 18, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here's a quick rundown of what I've been doing these past few hours. I had upgraded the BIOS to Rev 1014, beta 3. This allowed for Pentium IIIs to run. I replaced the Deschutes with a Slot 1 Katmai. running at a solid 450MHz (100 x 4.5x). However, this seemed to fowl up my Windows install, so I reformatted and reinstalled. Everything seemed to run great, up until the video card drivers installation, which I saved for last. I've had so many problems getting the Voodoo3 drivers to work. they would always freeze my system after the reboot each driver install requires. So, I would go into safe mode, remove the inf files, and try again with a different set of drivers. I spent literally hours trying to get it to work. I never had these problems with Voodoos in my Socket A machines. Eventually, I got fed up and tried a different. Matrox MGA-100. Works. Crisp image output. But I don't want it in my rig. The 3D is terrible. NVIDIA TNT2 Ultra? Kickass. But I still wanted my 3DFx to work. So after a couple more attempts, the most bizarre thing occurred. The system started to turn itself on and off quickly. out of the blue. Taking a look at it, I thought it was a power issue. Replaced cord. outlet. Power Supply Unit. Nope. Changed CPU, video cards, RAM. The thing would not stay on for longer than 2 seconds now.

What the hell happened? Its almost like a poltergeist doesn't want me to finish my project. Any suggestions?

Should I wait awhile and come back to it later? Bite the bullet by putting all the guts away and starting a Slot A or Socket 370 rig? I honestly don't know what more troubleshooting I can do.

In retrospect, should've just stuck with the TNT2.

Reply 9 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swampfox wrote:

I'll definitely consider it. Not sure if it will occupy the Gateway case. Maybe.

If you can get a ASUS K7V-RM motherboard (Micro-ATX Slot A KX133 motherboard) then definately it will work,and you also get a AGP slot.
If you can't find one,then this option for a small Slot 1/Socket 370 build is maybe good for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Azza-Socket-370-SLOT- … =item43ad5c7086
Don't know if it supports Tualatins,but it should since it uses the i810 chipset.

Those are my suggestions.What model is that Gateway though?

Reply 10 of 18, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PcBytes wrote:
If you can get a ASUS K7V-RM motherboard (Micro-ATX Slot A KX133 motherboard) then definately it will work,and you also get a AG […]
Show full quote

If you can get a ASUS K7V-RM motherboard (Micro-ATX Slot A KX133 motherboard) then definately it will work,and you also get a AGP slot.
If you can't find one,then this option for a small Slot 1/Socket 370 build is maybe good for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Azza-Socket-370-SLOT- … =item43ad5c7086
Don't know if it supports Tualatins,but it should since it uses the i810 chipset.

Those are my suggestions.What model is that Gateway though?

I took out the Asus P2B. Think it might have received some sort of damage through static/shock. Grounding was all fine though. Anyway, put it in an antistatic bag and going to have someone look at it tomorrow.

On the back of the case, the model says its a Gateway MNT 700S. originally contained a Socket 423 machine, with a Willamette p4 and rambus. strangely enough, this Slot A mobo I have is from another Gateway machine.

Going to put the Voodoo 3 in the Slot A build for now. Socket 370 rig is going in a pretty Thermaltake case.

Reply 11 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the Slot A motherboard in the normal microATX or ATX style?

Reply 12 of 18, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice rig, hopefully you get that poltergeist figured out! I actually like that case a lot; my "extra" 3Dfx rig is in the micro-ATX version of that, with a 1.1GHz Coppermine Celeron, a Voodoo3 2000 and a Sound Blaster Live. Really easy to work in; some other OEM cases that are supposedly toolless are a pain IMO but this one works well.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 13 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to Vogons! 😁

That's a nice build you have there! It could be that the board is defective somehow. My P2B has run stable for years and should still be in working condition.
At any rate, sometimes it takes several attempts before a build is finally finished 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 18, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not ditch the tape and put back the screws but use rubber washers between the fan and the case to get rid of the noise.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

Why not ditch the tape and put back the screws but use rubber washers between the fan and the case to get rid of the noise.

What I would do is use those green wires (can get 200m or so of wire for nearly nothing, I use it all the time 😁 )to mount the fan and then put some of that motherboard foam in between the corners to stop the vibrations. It's more work but the result might be good and silent (and cheap! 😁 ).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 18, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Awesome rig! What state do you live in? Im located in Washington.

Same. But the desert eastern side, not the rainy western side.

PcBytes wrote:

Is the Slot A motherboard in the normal microATX or ATX style?

Full ATX.

CapnCrunch53 wrote:

Nice rig, hopefully you get that poltergeist figured out! I actually like that case a lot; my "extra" 3Dfx rig is in the micro-ATX version of that, with a 1.1GHz Coppermine Celeron, a Voodoo3 2000 and a Sound Blaster Live. Really easy to work in; some other OEM cases that are supposedly toolless are a pain IMO but this one works well.

Thanks! I'm actually debating between a Sound Blaster Live and a recent pickup I have yet to play with, the Phillips SeismicEdge, for my Slot A build.
And yes, I do intend on getting back to this mobo. The Asus P2B is an excellent Slot 1 board. I'd hate to lose it.

nforce4max wrote:

Not a bad idea at all! Don't know why that had not occurred to me already. Thanks for the tip!

Another thing I might do is not use 98lite next time and use IEradicator instead. I'm skeptical as to how much snappier the OS is with Windows 95's Explorer than the non-HTMLized 98 Explorer.
Besides, messing with all that may have contributed to my driver problems and other stability issues.

Reply 17 of 18, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swampfox wrote:

Another thing I might do is not use 98lite next time and use IEradicator instead. I'm skeptical as to how much snappier the OS is with Windows 95's Explorer than the non-HTMLized 98 Explorer.
Besides, messing with all that may have contributed to my driver problems and other stability issues.

I always think 98lite is good for 486 systems. 🤣

Reply 18 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

O cool, I am right over the Cascade pass. Im working in Yakima over the summer

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1