VOGONS

Advice on Barton core setup?

Topic actions

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been casually looking for parts for a good Barton core setup.

I've aimed at Athlon XP 2600+ AXDA2600DKV4D. I don't see any reason to go faster, I have a Core 2 Duo to beat the crap out of 3200+ Barton or any Prescott. 2600+ seems to have adequate performance for what would be the ultimate version of my first PC (I had a Celeron 1.7, but I'm done playing with Netburst).

I have found an online shop selling boxed ATi FireGL 8800 64MB for $10, it's a pumped version of Radeon 8500 32MB I had back in the day, I look forward to getting one! Hardware truform <3

4x512MB PC-3200 DDR sticks and a Sapphire 9600XT are lying around waiting to be played with.

For now the big question is the chip set. I have missed on this part of PC history and I would like to hear some advice that would help me pick a good motherboard. I do not seek compatibility with older games, so i guess, nForce2 would fit nicely?

I also plan to get a couple of new PSUs (One for my current Q6700 and another for Barton), are there any specific recommendations?

Reply 1 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had very good experiences with VIA chipsets on Socket A.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 21, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ditto to Mau1wurf1977 above. I found the KT333 & KT400 chipsets to be pretty solid & good performers during that time period. Just make sure you install the VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

nForce 2 was, if memory serves, the undisputed "top of the line" for 462 chipsets. The exception to this - if there is/was one - was VIA's KT880 which was used in the SOYO Dragon board. Unfortunately I never came upon one of those. nF2 & KT880 were also distinguished by having support for dual-channel memory & were the only chipsets that had that on Socket A. But Athlon XP doesn't benefit from dual-channel meaning the performance gains were generally under 5%.

One caveat with VIA - you didn't mention storage, but depending upon how modern you want to get - the VIA chipsets through at least KT333 used a southbridge with the VT8237 Serial ATA controller. It's not all that impressive and will have problems with modern drives (unless you can jumper them into compatibility mode). It also doesn't support NCQ and I don't think it supports hot-plugging either.

If you have your heart set on NF2, I recall the A7N8X-E being a great board. But I don't think you'll be disappointed with VIA either, the Serial ATA caveat aside.

Reply 5 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, going to do a few socket A builds this summer but better the board the better things are going to go especially if there is 12v source for the cpu (eps 4pin).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 21, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nForce2 is the best choice IMO, I had an A7N8X-E Deluxe, the ASUS flasgship, and it was a dream. I have now the same build with the cheapest ASUS board of the time, the A7X8X and I notice some difference.
A7N8X-E Deluxe has SATA.

Reply 7 of 21, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nranco wrote:

nForce2 is the best choice IMO, I had an A7N8X-E Deluxe, the ASUS flasgship, and it was a dream. I have now the same build with the cheapest ASUS board of the time, the A7X8X and I notice some difference.
A7N8X-E Deluxe has SATA.

I'm using A7N8X-E Deluxe in my Barton build. Great board. Bought it brand new in 2004 after reading reviews 😀

Seems myself did some good choices back in 2004 as the setup (with motherboard, GFX card (6800GT) and Thermaltake SP-97 copper heatpipe cooler) is pretty good in hindsight from a retrobuild perspective.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 21, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A7N8X-* and A7V600-* are both great boards for a Barton setup.

Back in the day, mine was a 2800+ on the latter, with a Radeon 9800XT. That thing kicked ass for ages.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 21, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Abit nf7-s also a very good socket A board,a lot of overclocking options,my 2500+ Barton ran at 3200+ speed for a long time without problems,only bad thing about the board was the chipset cooler,with time it became very noise,so i had to change it with a passive zalman cooler.

Reply 10 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I called the guy and picked up the motherboard. He had Athlon 2500+ installed as he showed me that the board is working, I used the spec to confirm it was Barton core and bought it too.

I also looked around the garage and found Elitgroup N2U400-A with Sempron 2200+ and a cooler. It has much less features and looks overall worse built. However, it has onboard LAN, the one thing I wish GA-7N400s had.

I mounted a Zalman NB47J north bridge cooler instead of small stock one and glued a small heatsink to the southbridge. Of course, both were mounted on thermal paste, I have no lack of it.

As for CPU cooler, the one I bought with the mobo is some nameless Titan with an ugly grill. It has a good heatsink with copper core and aluminium body. The one I found in the garage is Igloo 2460 with solid aluminium heatsink. I removed the fans (after years of service I do not expect them to last long), equipped the best heatsink with Arctic Cooling F8 80x80 case fan and that is pretty much it. Now I really like the way it looks.

The GPU on the last picture is Sapphire 9600XT. I don't know if I should get FireGL 8800, it's a little problematic and I already like what I see here.

Pics:
P1020896.JPG
P1020897.JPG
P1020898.JPG

Reply 12 of 21, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam using 2 MSI boards here;

One is a MSI k7N2 DELTA2 LSR the other is MSI k7N2 DELTA2 FSR.. Both are N-force 2 Ultra chipset too. Only these boards doesnt have trough holes for a waterblock on the socket. The asus have..
But i generally like the looks of these boards.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love how these boards are so colourful to differentiate themselves.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I always found Soyo's Dragon family of motherboards, as well as the DFI Lanparty boards, to be almost amusingly colorful.

Last edited by sliderider on 2014-03-26, 03:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Me too! The gigabyte one in particular looks like a meccano with colorful sockets and slots.

I'm looking forward to getting a good case with PSU and HDD. In the meantime I might as well drop a radeon 9550GE in Elitgroup
motherboard to have a second PC for LAN parties.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Reply 16 of 21, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great boards, i've had a lot of success with the nforce 2 chipset, both on Abit NF7 ver 2.0 and MSI K7N2(also a very brightly coloured board).

Here's my MSI setup 😀
Athlon XP rescued from oblivion.

Best regards,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 17 of 21, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99196890/vogons/P1020896.JPG […]
Show full quote

P1020896.JPG

I had the VIA version of that board(GA-7VT880-RZ),except it used a 800MHz FSB,due to the chipset being VT880.It was basically the same board you have,except the socket was mounted horizontally and the chipset was VIA VT880.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 18 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got myself a 9800Pro from a local guy and a huge VGA cooler from China! It took some work with a rasp and sandpaper to install it the way I wanted. Here's the giant:

P1030037.JPG

Reply 19 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would go nforce2 Ultra 400 unless one wants AGP 2x compatibility. In that case a KT333 mobo. Or KT133A if ISA is sought after. Check for .13u CPU compatibility on the older boards.