VOGONS

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are the specs of my 486DX2-66 system with PCI Local Bus:

Intel 486DX2-66, newer P24 core with write back support (0470)
Mainboard is a UMC8810P-AIO with Phoenix Bios, 256 kB L2 cache
I plugged 4x32 MB EDO.
Graphics card is a ELSA Winner 2000 Pro-X with 8 MB VRAM. It uses the S3 Vision 968 with an IBM Palette DAC. It has a VESA Bios and is compatible with S3VBE20/S3SPDUP.
ISA sound cards: GUS ACE 1MB, SB AWE32 CT2760 with 32 MB SIMMs (2x16 MB)
Network: 3Com Etherlink III
HDD is a Quantum Lightning with 540 MB.

Here are a few pics:
1fijzq.jpg

2sukmj.jpg

38dkt9.jpg

Scores in Phils Benchmark are:
3dbench2 48.0
pcplayer 12.0
doom 2589
quake 7.1 fps

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice, would love to build such a system but obama economy sucks 🙁
Working on building three vlb systems but have to hold back till late May before I have enough cash x.x

I suggest that you support that Awe 32 before it sags any more than it already has.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My usual combination is to put an EWS64XL and a GUS into an older system, but I got already such a system. So while a pure SB16 would be more fitting to the 486, I had this AWE32 and the SIMMs and put them to some use. (except the for the benchcase)
The binder is just for the second SIMM, since the double sided SIMMs are so thick it doesn't fit into the clamps. It's a solution that works and I can carefully adjust the pull to fix it in the socket.
The AWE may bend a bit due to the additional weight, but I think an extra support is not necessary.

I also have a VLB 486 system, but I am currently not at home, so specs maybe next week.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool